Snow and wood cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm dealing with the same conditions that Bushmans is in Michigan. Ice storm followed by heavy snow, etc. I can't get my truck into most of my cutting areas. Tried cleaning up blow downs from that ice storm on the edge of a field and eventually gave up. I can get the truck through for the most part, but walking around becomes a bear. The snow is crusty on top and soft underneath. Just wears you out real quickly carrying wood back to truck. Hoping for a mid winter thaw with a freeze afterwards to get rid of excess snow pack.

That stuff is tough to walk in Colson. I hear you. Here the snow is dry and fluffy, it won't pack at all. Easy to walk in but tough to drive through.

I know what u mean about walking in the snow wearing u out!

I did a full cord this past week. I move the atv a lot this time of year to minimize the amount of walking.

To me it's a great adventure but ideally we would only have a few inches of snow.

Sometimes while trying to run over an obstacle, like a small tree, the tracks get spinning and she starts sinking into the snow. Then I'm sunk with a load of firewood. The winch will usually pull me out. The extra weight of the firewood on the back of the machine actually helps the front climb back on top of the snow.

I'm still contemplating the redesign of my firewood sled.

Back