So, any opinions on an ms192T vs. an ms200T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee Ekka, I would have thought you'd be the last guy to get caught in a slanging match!
Stand tall fella, your vids. work and comments can stand on their own.
Some people are REEAALLY sensitive here.:dizzy:

Back to the 192 vs 200 - I am in the same dillema, (my 020t is pooping out on me) posted something similar a while back and got the same advice, 200t. I have to admit I like the weight and size of the 192, but the lightweight bar and chain and the choke setup don't impress me. I might get a chance to try a husky 334, I'm trying to convince the dealer that he should lend me some demo models as all I've ever used are Stihls!

I've actually enjoyed some of your videos Eric, it's the two faced attitude myself and others can't abide. You spent months slagging off AS at the Treehouse then when things didn't go your way in that topping thread your came running back here.

You are heavily opinionated which isn't necessarily a bad thing but you effectivly slagged off the UK's arb industry and in not so many words called all of us hacks.

Are you suprised we're all a little fed up with your antics. Left to your own devices you'll fall soon enough, either that or your new 'friends' here will realise what a two faced little pratt you really are.

They way I see it in this thread we are way off topic.
stevenbullman was the first to throw a punch. It was a good chat till that point. Then all the treehosers come in and start ganging up on Ekka and unfortunately Ekka retaliates. If you guys want an exit out of here that is fine let me know. I did the same with Ekka when he brought nothing to the table during his treehoser days. I want nothing to do with your guys petty arguements. It gets old to have you guys come in here with one agenda. What Ekka does for the site now is what makes the site great. I am sure the majority of people on this site would rather see a 100 great training videos than 100 posts of you guys argueing. Let's get back on topic, NOW!!!

Yeah that is what I said. I didn't say he was innocent in argueing with all of you, but 5 against one is considered ganging up in my opinion...... And I also said, Now let's get back on topic.

Blinky said:
So, reading the other thread about climbing saws, I've narrowed my own choice down to Stihl... which is good, my other saws are Stihl and I'm in tight with a local Stihl Dealer.

I need a general purpose climbing saw, mainly for hardwood removals where cuts will be through say, 9" to 18" diameters. I've been using a hand saw or an 029 and I'd like to conserve some energy... I'm no Spring chicken anymore.

The choices are Stihl 192T or 200T. I want the top handle for sure. What are the differences when you're using them in a tree?

Will the PM or RM chains give the 192T better performance chunking down big sections?

I'm leaning towards the 192T because of weight and price but there has to be a reason why so many people are sold on the 200T.

I realize nobody around here has opinions or anything... but just this once, try and say what you really think.

Chip

I have always sworn by the MS200t, and the 020t before that. When I moved to the Texas from the UK earlier this year I hadn't even heard of the 192t, but have since had a go with one and I really liked it. It lacks all the grunt of the MS200t but I found it more comfortable when using it one handed.

When you look at the economics I think it works out better value for money however I'm going to stick with my MS200 despite that. I have also noticed since moving here that they make an MS200t with a back handle which I'd never seen before. I hope this helps, have a nice day,

Nice 1 Darin.

Yea i think the best thing to do would be to try these saws out. It would be much cheeper to borrow a saw from anyone for an hour or or two, for a box of beers, than it would be to buy and be stuck with a saw that is not perfect for you. :greenchainsaw:

Bought a 192 when they first came out.As i already have 4 200's thought it might be a nice pruning saw.Had it about 9 months no one would use it and it had to go back to the dealer 3 times. It's just not a 200. Sold it on ebay.

It will always be hard to go from a 200 to anything else. About the only substitute I found was the Husky top handled saw, 338xp, it's good ... but not as good as the Stihl IMO.

The only one is the 200t. A friend of mine wanted me to get him a 192t cos he herd they were the best for pruning and surgery but used it for 2 jobs before he begged me to sell it for him again as his 200t's whooped it's ass. He runs a 12in bar on his 200 and i run 14in flex bars on mine and they are the only way to go, yes i have used both types of bars but seriously get the lite weight 14in and you wont look back. By the way ekka you got a chipper yet????:deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Buzzlightyear said:
Has anybody tried one of the new Echo top handled saws, they look good but I doubt they'll be sucssesfull cracking into that market...

http://www.echo-tools.co.uk/chainsaws/index.php?id=1&cat=30&pid=-1

Wow .6 more cc's than the ms200t..................and orange! as I wrote earlier in this thread, I like the echo cs340 but it lacks the power of the ms200t, I guess I have to buy another saw, maybe

"sets the standard for top handled saws" thats quite some claim.

Well, i guess i should apologize for beating up on that poor chap Ekka; and being such a witless wonder in doing so. Is Hoser like Hoosier? Cuz i used to live way up in Indiana; and that ain't so bad neither. In fact it was kinda nice.

i vote for the bigger saw of the 2 originally queried. But have been trying to stay clean and not mention manufacturers and products that i don't think are sponsors or sold by sponsors to pre-serve the holy order. Perhaps the other saw will grow up some; but that is what we hoped and expected out of it's older cousin, that doesn't seem to even make a good wheel chock or boat anchor IMLHO.

After starting out on the 019T I found that it was a great saw really worked well for be except it was a petty' guzzler.

After reading alot about the 200T around here we finally bought one about two weeks ago, the performance and handling of the saw is superb. We run the 14 inch light weight bar on it. After using it for two weeks I wouldn't buy any other Top handled saw... As for the oilcap problem that everyone talks about I still have yet to have it fall off on me, it's a bit fidly but other then that it's fine.

Overall in my opinion; If you wanna be a superb climber/tree worker the MS 200T is a MUST HAVE.

But like what Jim said, shop around and find what feels right for you.

climbingwomdat said:
By the way ekka you got a chipper yet????:deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Nope, have enough contractors to choose from for chipping, especially in this saturated market. :clap:

OTG BOSTON said:
:jester: My "equiptment" works just fine.

What do you see as a problem with this Jeff? (more specifically)

"By the way" I do alter my saws to enhance performance,and I don't work with landscapers so you don't have to worry about seeing me on your jobsite.
I don't work with landscapers, and if you ever work on a job like say "Cal-Edison Bark Beetle Removal Program and have to show professionalism, Well , you get it now. To have an inspector check your stuff. No home owner job that I can super up my saw by removing parts that are to be there.

So are you saying that if you bought a saw and it came with a 14" bar and a safety chain, you would always run a 14" bar and a safety chain on it? Technically, changing the bar and chain to something that works better could be considered modifying a saw.;)

For comparison

I have both saws and would say that the only trait they share is that they are top handle saws. If you do alot of takedowns go for the 200, if you are looking for a pruning saw go for the 192. If you want one saw that can do both get the 200. I you climb full time, I wouldn't worry about price to much, I have certainly made more than enough with the saw to justify it's price.

As far as mods go, do what you want. It's your saw. I run a 16 in. with Oregon 91 on the 200 and stock 14 in. and Stihl pico on the 192. Both work great for their intended purpose.

Back