So, how did everyones saw run today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
timberturner

timberturner

ArboristSite Member
the 066 is still going good, it feels weird to post something and not be cryin

managed to get through some cedar to make mantles and they're turning out real nice

did have a question , what do you boys do differently once winter comes ? richin it up use diff oil ?

or are you guys just stay inside and burn the wood you cut ?

g'nite

tom:blob2:

tundraotto

tundraotto

Addicted to ArboristSite
glad its working out for you Tom. Running in the winter should not be any different unless its real cold out, then you may want to thin your bar oil with some kerosene or diesel, but I have never found this necessary as the saw will put out a fair amount of heat and keep the bar oil quite viscous. Maybe you could let the saw warm up a little slower if cold starting, cant really think of anything else different from the summer. Except for synthetic oil while milling - 32:1, but this is a debate we have had over a thousand times and you'll do better to search under synthetic and read previous posts. Good luck:blob2:

bwalker
I never use winter bar oil in MI. I just leave the jug in my truck while I cut. This keeps it from getting too thick and as Otto pointed out the engine does heat the oil up some. If you are milling in the winter pay attention to your HS setting and run it on the rich(ie safe) side. Sytnthetic oil is always agood idea when milling, as is opening up the stock muffler if it is a epa model which I believe yours is not.

treeclimber165

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
What winter? I don't work in temps lower than 50*, so I miss 3-4 days of work per year. My saws run perfectly at 50*, same as at 90*. I don't do anything differently for winter use, since cold isn't a real long-term issue here.
I may run 10-30 wt. oil in my truck instead of 10-40 for a few months. The truck seems to run stronger, but that may be because the A/C is turned off. :p

sedanman

sedanman

Just cut the piano!!
Last saw I ran was the 011 saturday to take out a crabapple tree that's in the way of home improvement. Saw has been hard to start since I saved it from the dumpster, swapped the carb out and it ran real sweet. Popped the original carb apart and found the pump side diaphragm curled and stiff, should have listened to my own sermon about crb kits being maintenance items.

Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap

Addicted to ArboristSite
Huskyman,

I think you made a typo. Actually, in Minneapolis it gets much colder than than the balmy -10 that you typed :) Sometimes, that's a warm temp. You must live near the coastal area of Michigan:p

Tom [winter started today, I wore long underwear today because it was supposed to rain/sleet]

eyolf

eyolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
I didn't run any saws today, but I did take delivery of one...a McC 3/25 for $5 on EPay...plus $20 to ship.
I needed the "Duck" logo that goes on the tank, but this one is different than the other two I have...no plastic cap; I think it's a late (1952 up) model. It also has a sprocket for 1/2" chain, not 9/16" like the other two (no bar, chain).

I suppose I'll have to eat crow now, because I'm usually ranting about never getting a deal on Epay. This thread is a good one, then, because maybe nobody will see it here anyway.

eyolf

eyolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Tom D says:
Minneapolis it gets much colder than than the balmy -10

Many years ago, before I was married to my present (and only!) wife, I had to drive down to the twin Cities to pick up my girlfriend at the U of MN. It was about 30 below up here that morning; cold, but not anything a hardy Minnesotan isn't prepared to deal with. The temp had risen to a balmy -18 by the time I got there, and I like to have froze to death in the wind howling through town.

Some of you guys laugh all you want, but it's a whole lot warmer in the woods than it is in town. I can't imagine what it's like for them arborist guys that take work there in the winter.

timberwolf

timberwolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Tom

Glad to hear everything finally got worked out.

Only other thought would be to avoid starting the saw when it's frozen, let the saw warm up in the house or cab of the truck. Also once it's started let it warm up to operating temp before putting full load on it. Engine tolerences are effected by temprature changes, cold starts put alot of ware on oil filmed surfaces.

Also when it is cold out it is more importaint then ever to losen the chain off before letting the saw cool, the contracting chain can wreck the crank/bearings. The longer the bar the more tension is developed by metal contraction of the chain.

Timberwolf

Dennis

Dennis

Arboristsite MVP
Craig...it makes me so sad to hear when Calgary get snow like that:rolleyes: :D Its getting chilly here and snow on the hills some mornings....but nothing at home yet..thankfully as I still want to get out on the jetski a couple more times...although there was frost on it this morning....

I am heading out on Friday night for a 3 day horseback moosehunt...this could get chilly!!

We run winter bar oil here...as temps reach -50 at some points in time...most guys dont work in that..as its hard on equip...but its not uncommon for guys to work at -30...so they arent near their truck and the saws can sit for up to 20 minutes out in the snowbank, before gettin picked up again....

jokers

jokers

Addicted to ArboristSite
Breaking in the Camo Poulan?

Hey Dennis, with any luck you will be breaking in your new prize on some fresh moose flesh! Just be careful where you set it down, you may not be able to find it, unless of course you`ve got the pipe on it, that might be like a flag to catch your attention.

Only let the KD372xp out of the truck today, but what a sweet day it was! I was bucking up a nice maple log in the city today when one of the city`s tree crew trucks almost stopped when they saw the chips I was throwing! Looks like a couple of guys will be going to the chiropractors tomorrow for neck adjustments. LOL. Then right after that, a half million dollar ladder truck and crew slowed to a crawl while they checked out the chip stream! I guess those guys appreciate high quality equipment in action. Gotta love these fall days, mid 50s, crisp air and sunny, really helps pick up my spirits. Russ

logcutter429

logcutter429

ArboristSite Operative
Glad to here your having good luck, i due use winter grade, cause once i leave the truck i don't come back but iDont do any thing no different than any other time, excecpt the winter grade, but the saw i'm going to use gets to ride inside the truck.

Ryan Willock

Ryan Willock

Addicted to ArboristSite
never used winter bar oil... doesn't really get cold enough down here to need it. i have a friend who happens to be obsessed with oil flow to the point that he wants to open up the pump on his 036, as it is in the winter he runs transmission fluid in his saws:alien:

Ryan Willock

Ryan Willock

Addicted to ArboristSite
yeah, he is the best mechanic that i have ever seen though. but he does take things a little far with that:rolleyes: he is so obsessed with the proper chain angles and all that , that he even has one of those file guides that clamps on to the bar!!! takes him 30 minutes to sharpen one chain!!!!:eek:

StIhL MaGnUm

StIhL MaGnUm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ryan,

I have one of those guides also I only use it after 3-4 free hands then I spend a night straightening out all my chains with the guide clamped on I like it better than using a grinder..;)

Later Rob....

Latest posts