So how long after reading/studying.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brush Hog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Did you start to climb? I've been reading for awhile and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on climbing. I've got some short/easy trees in my yard that I think will be good to cut my teeth on. I plan on teaching myself with the help of Arbormaster, books and real world experience. I know many of you probably think this isn't the way to go but I've got a small landscape biz so I can't go work for someone.

Since you ve got your own bus. I guess you cannot apprentice w a tree co, the best way to go. Get a rope and saddle and climb snap. My suggest. would be a 120 ft. hank of safety blue braid. Find a rafter in the basement or the equivalent and put end of ropover it w snap and tail and knot of your choice. Practice tying your knot and " sitting it in" (tie, dress and set) say 20 times every night. When you have done this say couple of hundred times (10 days) take your game out in the yard and find something easy ( a lot of scaffold branches) to start w. Stay off the saws in the air for a while. Anything you feel uncomfortable doing you prob shouldn t do. Build up slowly in degree of difficulty.

Treevet, that's an awesome idea:bowdown: . Never would've thought of that. Plus I'll be able to practice after work/dark.

Back