So I bought a new ms660.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tree_beard

tree_beard

ArboristSite Operative
I was hoping I could bust the log at the stump and have it hang up off the ground so I can keep my chain out of the dirt cutting it up and as you can see I got lucky. ;)
:monkey:
may i suggest next time you cut an open face at knee to waist hight to keep the butt of your log off the ground for bucking.... much safer than that wicked barberchair technique....

wouldnt want you to get your face taken off....

congrats on the new saw btw :cheers:

lectrocrew

lectrocrew

ArboristSite Operative
:monkey:
may i suggest next time you cut an open face at knee to waist hight to keep the butt of your log off the ground for bucking.... much safer than that wicked barberchair technique....

wouldnt want you to get your face taken off....

No I'd like to keep my face, which was well out of the way, but I'll heed your advice in the future, Thanks.

congrats on the new saw btw :cheers:

Thanks. It a shame I don't get to use it more often.

lectrocrew

lectrocrew

ArboristSite Operative
Take up wood carving!!!
I'll have to look into that, but if it's what I think, I'd be using my small saw.
I'm a junkie for full throttle with this big one.
burnout-1.gif

Ghillie

Ghillie

Addicted to ArboristSite

Not quite there, but nice try....

looking for smirk/evil grin/ecstasy/with a little bit of blank stare into the future/drool.

I have seen it make grown men shudder..

Usually followed by a "hold my beer".

Does that help?

(by the way I have a hunk of maple 48" dia. x 6' long by my garage to take care of those days when I gotta work out those aggressions! :) )

lectrocrew

lectrocrew

ArboristSite Operative
Not quite there, but nice try....

looking for smirk/evil grin/ecstasy/with a little bit of blank stare into the future/drool.

I have seen it make grown men shudder..

Usually followed by a "hold my beer".

Does that help?
Sure, I'll have to draw one up for ya. We'll call it 'gommulating pinion not meshing with hoochalating wheel'.
rollinglaugh.gif

(by the way I have a hunk of maple 48" dia. x 6' long by my garage to take care of those days when I gotta work out those aggressions! :) )

Thats exactly what I need.
hyper.gif

lectrocrew

lectrocrew

ArboristSite Operative
Go ahead & remove all of the cage. If you leave it like that there you'll still have somewhat of a bottle neck restricting a smoother transisition of the exhaust flow. The only concern as to sealing it back up is the gasket ,torgue it or you'll have an extra expence with having time serts installed . Above a 25" bar in hard wood use the 7 pin depends what your cuttin. Have used the 8 pin on the 32" full skip in pine & its hella fast. Its gunna be loud probably a few DB's over the osha's min requirement with just plugs or muffs . I use both at leist part of the day to keep it off my nerves. Hi
I eliminated the cage, fabbed up and welded in a stainless support plate and milled out the muffler inlet about 1/16" on each side to match the cylinder exhaust port and topped it off with a dual port cover.
I also re-installed the 7 tooth sproket rim to cut all the hardwoods blown down by tropical storm Fay that came through here Thursday and back through Yesterday. I've been cutting mostly big trees this morning and the saw is running really strong.
I posted several pictures in this muffler mod thread.

Thanks for the help OilHead! :bowdown:

P1010191.jpg

belgian

belgian

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I would like to get a stihl ms660, but I don't have the money right now.

You can always buy a good used one. I picked up a 2005 model 660 for aporox 1/3 of the new list price. Removed the muffler for inside inspection and it looked OKKKKK.

A good clean and fresh fuel is all it needed. I think this one will be a keeper for the firewood heard ; not that it will get used much, but I can't Ultra get away with all of them, hint, hint ... This one will remain stock.

660asmall.jpg

66025inchsmall.jpg

Last edited:
matt9923

matt9923

Stihl bustin knuckles
Did you have to remove the back part when removing the cage? Cant i just cut away the cage instead of making a new back plate like you did?

I know its and old thread....
Matt

lectrocrew

lectrocrew

ArboristSite Operative
Did you have to remove the back part when removing the cage? Cant i just cut away the cage instead of making a new back plate like you did?

I know its and old thread....
Matt
It's been so long since I did that I don't remember for sure but based on my old / burnt brain:
It probably won't work over time. The back part is part of the cage. The cage depend on it's box design for strength. Once one of the sections of that box-like structure is removed the welds will break on the other sections from the vibration of the motor.
You can , however, remove the entire cage (including the back section) but I wouldn't count on that lasting over a period of time since the muffler housing itself is thin (for lightweight) and not designed to hold the assembly in place alone. JMO. :)

Boogieman142

Boogieman142

ArboristSite Guru
Just take out the cage and bolt it back in, the lower 2 cover bolts hold the assembly anyway. Mine has been run without the cage for quite a while. Besides the metal is pretty thick anyway.