So I built another splitter...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice work. Normally by the time I finish a project I just slap some paint on it so I can get it going. You really spent some time and made it look nice. I just have one question. Isn't that exhaust pointed straight at the operator?

Good catch on the exhaust! You are correct. I haven't got that far yet.. I'm either going to order a turn down or make one.. Since I'm a tight azz my bet goes to making one... I kinda wanted to just get it out of the shop and let the project sit for a while. Spend some time with the wife and kid.

Alex,
Have to agree with everyone here...top notch work! You are a pretty good welder arent you!!!!!!
Maybe I will get to use the Master Splitter one of these days. How is your wood supply for this winter? Can we use it soon?
Looks like a million, Bud.:msp_thumbup::msp_thumbup:

Ron

Great looking machine !!! What type of welder are you using and what are you cutting the steel with ?

Alex,
Have to agree with everyone here...top notch work! You are a pretty good welder arent you!!!!!!
Maybe I will get to use the Master Splitter one of these days. How is your wood supply for this winter? Can we use it soon?
Looks like a million, Bud.:msp_thumbup::msp_thumbup:

Ron

Wood supply?? Ummm what's that? Use it soon? You can use it when ever you want buddy!

Great looking machine !!! What type of welder are you using and what are you cutting the steel with ?

%90 of all the welding is done with my trusty Hobart handler 180 with plenty of preheat, .035 wire, and 75/25 shielding gas. I've ran many of miles of wire through that machine and she still runs like new! The rest of the welding was done with a miller delta weld 652 running 1/16 flux core with co2 as a shielding gas.
I cut a lot of the plate steel with just a hand torch and on some pieces I was lucky enough to use the torch track burner at work. Every thing else was either cut with the cut-off wheel or my 6" bandsaw. I did however cut the beam to Lenth on the do-al bandsaw at work. The last three were done with a cut-off wheel and I really didn't wanna do that again... I would love to have some larger tools but I'm working out of a two stall garage and space is limited.

That thing is super nice! I'd like to copy it, but I'm afraid mine would turn out like a Chinese build. I don't have nearly the skills you do. I'd still like to give it a try some day.

I know your busy with the new born, but you might consider writing up a detailed set of plans. I know I'd be interested in paying something for all your time spent planning and trying different things. With all the interest your getting, I bet there would be quit a few people interested in some plans.

Think about it.

That thing is super nice! I'd like to copy it, but I'm afraid mine would turn out like a Chinese build. I don't have nearly the skills you do. I'd still like to give it a try some day.

I know your busy with the new born, but you might consider writing up a detailed set of plans. I know I'd be interested in paying something for all your time spent planning and trying different things. With all the interest your getting, I bet there would be quit a few people interested in some plans.

Think about it.

I built mine similar, not nearly as nice or commercial looking. I'd just rather pay the man to build it for me, it's a lot of work: msp_biggrin: I'm thinking of upgrading mine in the spring.

I'd rather pay for one too. Unfortunately, I know I wouldn't be able to afford it. If I could I'd buy one for sure. But in the mean time, I'd rather have actual plans, and a parts list to go off of. I'd be happy to shell out a couple bucks for that.

I'm real interested on feedback as to how well the wedge design works. Looks awesome to me. Master builder for sure. Might use some of your design on my next splitter. If thats ok with the OP. :msp_thumbsup:

Bump bump this splitter is definitely worth keeping on page one!

Thanks mike.

Since I have posted this I have made a few changes so far. A few changes that I pretty much knew and planned on doing but figured I would wait and see. Kinda to test the waters. No pictures to post yet but at least I can keep who ever is interested up to date.
Changes so far are but not limited to.
-Changed the log lift support/log back stock. Reason: I did not like how high the support went up on the lift it self. Now from a side view it looks like a giant hockey stick.
-Added a pinned support bracket to the log lift for transport and storage mode. I planned on doing this but was undecided on how I wanted to.
Reason: unwanted strain on cylinder and valve seals.

I have somewhat started on the exhaust deflector but that's low priority on the to do list.

I'm sure there will be more changes to come the more and more I use it.

Nice work Man!!!!!! That's some really impressive fab work. You got the skill for sure. I also enjoy designing and building my own stuff. I haven't done a splitter yet but will some day. Fast is what I want so a big engine and pump will be needed. My chainsaw dyno was my last project. Next is a hog roaster then probably a super splitter.

Latest posts

Back