So I built another splitter...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice build. Always nice when you can build with clean new steel rather than some stuff you dug up behind the barn.

:cheers:

1748D565-9860-4F55-8A5D-3C001AA19A8C-23002-000005D82922D0D2_zps95576b67.jpg

It wasn't all clean...

Been a fabricator most of my life. This is some of the best work I've seen. Everything done to a high standard,
the cutting, welding and design are all top notch. Rep for ya!

Thanks for all the great compliments guys, I would be lying if I didn't say more then a few times I went back and changed things. I'm sure I will yet in the future. Not sure on the hours spent but it was a solid month and change working on it after work and on weekends. Things may have went a little quicker if I would have had the engine and a few other things when I needed them in the build process and always needing to either dig in the scrap pile at work or go pay top dollar at the steel shop. Nothing about this one was really cheap or simple. Really it seemed for a while that nothing was going right and I was going more backwards then forward on the project..

Rep sent. Your work is unbelievable in my book.

I have a question (maybe a dumb one). How does the 4-way work? It seems set back a great distance from the initial wedge and where the ram would stop. It looks like the ram wouldn't be able to complete the secondary splits.

Last edited:
Unreal man! I can work with wood but sadly my metal work expertise is limited to small parts and repairs mostly, especially welding, where I still suck at it....I'd love to be able to build something 1/4 as nice!

Beautiful Workmanship

Absolutely a beautiful job. No ifs ands or buts about it. You are a true master craftsman.

Nosmo

Rep sent. Your work is unbelievable in my book.

I have a question (maybe a dumb one). How does the 4-way work? It seems set back a great distance from the initial wedge and where the ram would stop. It looks the ram wouldn't be able to complete the secondary splits.

You are correct, some pieces will not be able to get split completely. You will need to use the next round to push it through to complete the split. It is a downfall but the trade off is removable and replaceable attachments, such as a 6way. To me that made it worth it.

You had me at 'torsion axle'.... wow no wonder you sold the other if it's any where as nice.

And congrats old man, my second was a boy just turned 3 months yesterday. I hear you on where to find the time.

:clap::rock:

Very Nice

This splitter impressed me, by design, details, and skill/craftsmanship shown. Keep up the good work I would like to own a splitter like that, but doubt I could afford it.

You are correct, some pieces will not be able to get split completely. You will need to use the next round to push it through to complete the split. It is a downfall but the trade off is removable and replaceable attachments, such as a 6way. To me that made it worth it.

Ah ha, I see your point. I knew you had a reason for designing it that way. :clap:

Ah ha, I see your point. I knew you had a reason for designing it that way. :clap:

I thought the same thing you did a few times but just weighed the pros and cons and for me this was my best option. I my or may not regret it later. I'm sure that I will never really be "done" with this splitter. I'm sure through time it will keep evolving.

I thought the same thing you did a few times but just weighed the pros and cons and for me this was my best option. I my or may not regret it later. I'm sure that I will never really be "done" with this splitter. I'm sure through time it will keep evolving.

we had a 6way for a TW6 and sold it after a few weeks. it doesn't work well unless you have "pecker poles"( i.e. European old growth hardwood.) any knots and the stress from Jamming the wood through just got scary. one thing I wished for on the TW6 was an adjustable 4way that went flush....just like you did. with really large nasty stuff its easier to bust them in 1/2 then redo them into 1/4s. it got old having to take the 4way off because it didn't go flush. Nice work

Back