So I was out cutting today...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogieman142

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Recent storm broke top out of a choke cherry tree in my neighbors yard. Told her I'd cut it for her as long as I could get the wood, she agreed. I dropped it down and started to limb it up when this happened. Sure put the scare on me.

Never had a chain break let alone what broke, a driver, the rivet tore out of the drivers hole. Rivets completely intact. Think its Carlton chain btw

Recent storm broke top out of a choke cherry tree in my neighbors yard. Told her I'd cut it for her as long as I could get the wood, she agreed. I dropped it down and started to limb it up when this happened. Sure put the scare on me.

Never had a chain break let alone what broke, a driver, the rivet tore out of the drivers hole. Rivets completely intact. Think its Carlton chain btw

It has happened to me twice and a dealer caught one that had a crack in a link. I toss anychain that has broken as the remainder of it may also be faulty.

Harry K

I'm sure this can happen to any chain....does anyone have any advice on what to check and look for on a chain to help me and others prevent this in the future?

cracked rivits, rivits pulling out, cracked links ect?

I'm sure this can happen to any chain....does anyone have any advice on what to check and look for on a chain to help me and others prevent this in the future?

cracked rivits, rivits pulling out, cracked links ect?

Just look it over real good. It was a driver that let go. Further inspection revealed that it was cracked for a little bit cause of the color difference.

And I have several loops of Carlton for my 391...

I'm not putting carlton down I'm sure it could happen with any chain...

Damn that could of got ugly fast....

Definately was cutting along and all of a sudden chains gone, never seen it take off or anything, just the saw screamed for a sec. I thought it just came off until I seen no chain at all.

How old was that chain boogieman? Was it near the end of its life?

Only been sharpened once.

It has happened to me twice and a dealer caught one that had a crack in a link. I toss anychain that has broken as the remainder of it may also be faulty.

Harry K

Ditto, in garbage now, well scrap metal bucket anyway.

Wow!!!:msp_ohmy:
Glad you didn't get hurt with that.
A whole lotta shock on the chain with those smaller branches bitin' and grabbin' like they do.

One of the things I see was that you were cutting branches when it broke. How long was your bar? I have chains come off the bar sometime on branches when they twist under their weight, so I always switch to a shorter bar length saw on branches. Never had one break before though, that's nuts!! I guess we all better invest in some chaps pretty soon!!

Wow!!!:msp_ohmy:
Glad you didn't get hurt with that.
A whole lotta shock on the chain with those smaller branches bitin' and grabbin' like they do.

Yea there is but it still shouldn't have broke, must of had a fault in the metal when it let go.

One of the things I see was that you were cutting branches when it broke. How long was your bar? I have chains come off the bar sometime on branches when they twist under their weight, so I always switch to a shorter bar length saw on branches. Never had one break before though, that's nuts!! I guess we all better invest in some chaps pretty soon!!

Was a 14" bar. Rails were in excellent shape as well. Chaps wouldnt have saved me, helmet would have atleast slowed it down. I was only wearing chaps and safety glasses.

That could of been ugly.... How old was the chain, did to beat the crap out of it or what?

Only filed once, not much for wear.

I've broke Oregon chains right in half like that, so it isn't just Carlton chains. That's a bummer though. I hate breaking chains

You explained why it happened but how did it happen? Thats never happened to me. Did it fly off the front of the bar? Guess I always thought that the chain catcher would prevent a broken chain from hurting ya, guess I am pretty nieve.

You explained why it happened but how did it happen? Thats never happened to me. Did it fly off the front of the bar? Guess I always thought that the chain catcher would prevent a broken chain from hurting ya, guess I am pretty nieve.

Flew off end of bar not sure why it happened, might have been a fault in metal.

Latest posts

Back