So I'm curious, what do you guys do for a living?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a MSA technician which mean I build,repair and do annual service on breathing apparatus for fire departments. Also a PT paid firefigher and a voluenteer FF

Used to be a ASE Master Diesel Technician, worked on semi trucks. Then went into sales, and sold semi trucks.
Worked with a mechanized crew for a while. HATED being stuck in that cab(cage). Couldn't stand being out in the woods working all day and not be able to smell and feel where I was.
The whole time owning chainsaws, supplying my own firewood, and picking up sidejobs with the saws.
Finally turned it into a living. I am owner/partner of my own business. Chainsaw logging operation. Husqvarna saws, one Timberjack 610 forwarder. LOVIN' IT!!!!

I am 29, and will be 29 again next May...for the 24th time, LOL. I keep a few critters and make a little hay on 100 acres in MN, but I work <a ref="http://www.lakelandmoldcompany.com/pages/patterns.shtml"> here</a> in the pattern shop.

Patternmaking is a great job; in my life I have watched the transition from interpreting sketches on a bar napkin to making patterns from the customer's model with a CNC mill. In the end, though, its the skill of ALL the people involved, from sales to the loading dock, that make a company prosper.

I'm a carpenter by trade but can do most anything .I do a little farming, which led me to a habit of collecting antique farm equipment Right now I'm moving a log building built in 1812 to a farm in Dewitt Va.

Spent 10 years in construction. Civil and architectural, I did it all. Rebuilt interstates, developed subdivisions, built homes, schools, renovated hospitals. Not much building here anymore, so now I'm a financial advisor at Prudential. Back to what my degree was for.

Summer weekends, I'm the "voice" of the Thumb Tractor Pulling Association.

I am 39. I have been a professional driver for the last 21 years, 8 in the military and the rest hauling groceries down the road. I would do something else but this work is mindless, no boss looking over my shoulder, and being that I'm a Teamster the pay and bennies are good. People have to eat so there is job security. I am also a firearms consultant but since this work is sporadic it is more of a hobby. I buy and work on old chainsaws to keep me busy during the winter, I also supplement my heat with wood.

I am 42 I work for a telephone company, recently promoted to central office tech. I work on the switches and special circuits etc.

I was a mechanic for a major airline for 17 years before that.

Not much else to it.

have all sorts of training and education that I don't use...got tired of being that guy who's daughter was born while he was suckin' sand...then got tired of being that guy with a crackberry and carry-on...figured a recession was a good time to start my own business

now it's me, my skidloader, and a few chainsaws...I'm calling it "rural property improvement"...lots of cleanup (metal, brush, storm damage, outbuildings, stone walls), some dirt, some trees, some odd stuff, more property use planning and design than I expected...love it all!

my worst day now is better than my best day away from my family

Cheers!

One day every other year I get paid pretty good to go vote. Van comes right to my Section 8 and picks me up. Driver's an ACORN activist; still the same guy, but he's not sure now how the government keeps him on--he takes the cash. I get a free meal and a fresh pack of cigarettes on the way back to my pad.
Rest of the time I'm busy cashing my welfare entitlement checks and hangin' out here havin' fun while you guys bust your butts supportin' me--Hehe!

Robert or John :confused:

Both..... (and still was when Teddy had his driving lapse).

I think that Stinkbait and others are fooled by my age as I had a beard for 30+ years that kept the sun off my face so I look younger than I am (at least until I take my hat off).

Last edited:
You'll want to be me.

Retired at age 55, almost eleven years ago, from a plant engineering position at Wire Rope Corp. of America. (Now known a WIRECO Worldgroup). Our department motto was "Today we walk on water. Tomorrow we raise the dead."

Two kids and two grandkids.

I don't cut much wood, I just like to fix engines and chainsaws are a hoot.

I am 29 years old and i am a Special Inspector / Building Inspector. I mainly inspect power plants, water treatment plants, dams, bridges that sort of thing. I started doing that when i was 17. I own a couple few Stihl's that i use to cut firewood for my home.

Latest posts

Back