So I've got this old McCulloch...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gearhead1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, this old saw was laying around in the basement of the shop where I work when I became employed there. I knew it was a McCulloch from the color and the "MCM" cast on the starter housing, but little else as there was no serial tag visible, and no other identifying marks as the air filter housing was missing. Even still it was impressive with that huge 40" bar and the handle on the end for a second man. It had been discarded as unrepairable by one of my predecessors because of its age and unavailablity of parts. When the owener of the company got on a kick to clear out all of that type of clutter from the building, I asked him if I might have the old saw to take home and hang on the wall of my shop at home, and so it came to be mine.
It did sit up on a shelf in my workshop for a time, but as you mechanics know, something not running that could be made to is just a challenge. So whatever has prompted me (I don't know) to go about repairing this saw has brought me here. I've been able to determine that it is a model 1-76, and seems to be in very fine condition for a saw of 1962 vintage. The original paint is VERY complete, compression is fantastic, and all around shows little wear. After my examination, I believe the only reason it will not run on its own is because the primary fuel diaphragm is missing the metal disk attached to it which actuates the needle lever. The rubber material of the diaphragm is still very pliable, but someone else must have disassembled the carburetor and lost the disc from the diaphragm. The saw will fire up and run momentarily on cheater spray and the fuel lines are in VG shape.
Now the bad part of the saw would be the missing parts, which are the air filter cover (p/n 55626), air filter screen (p/n 55498), filter cover grille (p/n 55659), and cover anchor (p/n 55634). Additionally, I need a new carburetor diaphragm (p/n 55067C). I am wondering if anyone here may know where I might obtain the cover, grille, and anchor used and a new filter and diaphragm (if that's possible). These parts should be also found on models 1-81HD, 1-82, 1-86, 1-75, and 1-85. It is possible even that some other saws may be included in the list (740, 790, 890 etc.), but I could not verify that by part number on the microfische.
A few incidental questions I had were: 1. Is this an uncommon saw?--Its the first one I have seen and appears to have been only a year in production. 2. It looks to me like the 1-76 became the 740 with little change--Is that true? 3. The bar has no i.d markings on it and its length (40") is not listed as an option by McCulloch, which makes me believe it is an aftermarket set-up--Sound right to you?

Well, your saw, being direct drive, could be worth about $100 or so, give or take. just remember, as I'm sure you already know, starter fluid is bad for 2 strokes cause it lacks oil to keep everything from seizing and melting.

The 1-76, isnt exactly common, nor is it really rare either. but once she's runnin, she'll tear through logs like an axe through paper.

Last edited:
Ya OSA, I know either will burn up a two-cycle engine; I miss the old formula WD-40 that would run 'em. :( About the next best alternative I know of is to put some mix fuel in a small squeeze bottle or oil can to shoot down the carburetor throat.
Timbermaster, thanks for the link. I already looked at that sight and it is a REAL goldmine of data for the old saws.

Latest posts

Back