So The 361 is kind of sick, what to do

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ms310

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I was cutting a 28'' Diameter Ash today, had it up on a couple of bucked logs when it decided to roll. It took the saw with it and crushed the handle up into the gas tank. So now I am sure I am looking at a nice expensive bill to get the new parts that I will need to put the saw back together, cant find what I need on line used, I tried the sponsors, and have had no luck, I will have to go to the dealer tomorrow to see what the bad news is on new parts but, I am thinking it may not be worth putting the amount of money into the saw. If, when the price on the parts comes back and I need to purchase a new saw, what STIHL saw is going to cut as good as, and be as comfortable as the 361, running a 20" bar. I dont want a bigger or smaller bar, I have approximately 22 chains for that saw, so I need to run a 20'' b and c. Thanks for any input!

sounds like it might end up being a good parts saw,,,i have a place in my shop for it

See if you can find a used tank or check the price on a new one. As long as everything else is ok, that saw is well worth a new tank. IMO. Lots of good gus on here to help woith the repair.

It would be an awesome parts saw, I dont know what that saw was on but, in the last year it has really opened up, and grew some hair on its ,,,,, it actually cut as good as the 460 and was more comfortable to run with the ant-vibe, and less weight, that is what made it my go to saw, just not sure I can find one to replace it!

It would be an awesome parts saw, I dont know what that saw was on but, in the last year it has really opened up, and grew some hair on its ,,,,, it actually cut as good as the 460 and was more comfortable to run with the ant-vibe, and less weight, that is what made it my go to saw, just not sure I can find one to replace it!

you might get lucky and get a NOS like i did,,i really like mine too

I dont know about the NOS, how are the reviews on the 362? I am really hoping someone has used parts for it, I just cant believe I will find a saw as nice as that 361

You can see if you can find a nice used one. You can steal the parts off the new one and put it on yours or else use the new saw and keep yours for parts.

You can see if you can find a nice used one. You can steal the parts off the new one and put it on yours or else use the new saw and keep yours for parts.

The problem with Used Stihl saws is that most the time you can throw in a few more Benjamins and get yourself a new one, take a look at ebay, I would rather spend another 100 locally and get a new saw then to buy a slightly used one from someone I dont know, or cant see, run the saw. I do like your quotes, they really say alot.

see if you can fix it first and how much to do it. If it doesnt make sense look at 362. basically same saw with strato engine which does use less gas but Im not sure how much less over 361. someone else might be able to answer that

You may find that rear handle/gas tank on Ebay or Cl or somewhere if you keep looking. Sometimes they do pop up on the bay.

I love my 361 also.

I don't know what the part would cost new, but it's not too hard to install. It took me about 1 1/2 hours to change one on my 066 and it was my first one.

Sell it and buy an old metal McCulloch. Won't have any more problems with broken handles anymore. :) Put a big bar on it, and sink it into the wood, won't slow down, just keeps asking for more. :cheers:

I dont know about the NOS, how are the reviews on the 362? I am really hoping someone has used parts for it, I just cant believe I will find a saw as nice as that 361

Chances are that you probably won't find another model that is a worthy replacement, at least as long as it has to be a Stihl.

If the saw is in generally good shape it surely will be worth a new tank! :msp_smile:

Sorry to hear about your accident with the 361. I would look for used parts and get it going again. However you mentioned the 362, I have both a 361 and the 362 and in my opinion if you like the 361 you will also like the 362. The 362 has better anti-vibe system, better economy, better air filter, and a wider power band so if that is the way you want to go I am sure you will like it.

Steve

Crunch all you want, they make more. Actually they don’t. I had an ms440 that took a similar hit. As I remember, parts alone were about $290 and that was some time ago. Used parts for an ms361 will be hard to find and will probably fetch just about as much as new. You might be better off selling the carcass on ebay and looking for a good used ms440 or husky 372xp.

Crunch all you want, they make more. Actually they don’t. I had an ms440 that took a similar hit. As I remember, parts alone were about $290 and that was some time ago. Used parts for an ms361 will be hard to find and will probably fetch just about as much as new. You might be better off selling the carcass on ebay and looking for a good used ms440 or husky 372xp.

I tried one of those 372xp and I didn't like it so I sold it, actually won it off of here in a benefit for a injured member, that is what I bought my 361 with, if I remember correctly, or it could have been the 460. Thanks for the input on the 362, I think I have a lead on a blown 361, will know more on Monday but, now I need to put a rear end in the truck that just went out on my 2000 dodge, guess it was probably due I have over 250k on it. As soon as I get done with my career transformation, in December I am hoping money will no longer be an issue.

Latest posts

Back