So whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a nice little take down this afternoon. Paper birch tree was damaged by the recent ice storm. Was very close to the house, had to rig most limbs out.
Heres a few pics of the fun.

passed my nptc cs 30 and 31 yesterday, celbrated a bit too much last night :dizzy: . rang me boss a negotiataded a pay rise, and i think he must have been on the pop too, coz he gave me one. Got my tree climbing and arial rescue test sometime in the summer, so £££££ :cool:. just need to sort out my own harness and rope so i can practice on my days off, at collage they'v only got one harness with a sliding D, it gets a bit dangerous with a load of hack happy students waving silkys about deciding whose gonna get it.

tom

try the comet butterfly harness it has webbing to clip too, your movement is inceased as your karabiners can slide along the webbing as you move and you don`t get that nasty jolt when your karabiner and d ring slip from narrow side to the full

Nick's new hitch

Today I used Nick from Wisconsin's example of girth hitching a ring with webbing. I used 3/8" Yalex instead of webbing, and put a biner on the other end. Here's a 1.7 meg slideshow of the process beinning to end. What a cool hitch !

This is going to be my main redirect sling, I determined that after using it today.

thing is the gear aint cheep and i aint rich so i'm trying to make an informed dissicion on what to get, mind you my boss has a 200 meter roll of 3-strand nylon that i could aquire a good length off but i'v used 3-strand and found it was a bit of ?????.

Do guys really still climb on 3-strand? I thought they sold that for rope to collectors to fill in the spot between manila and 16-strand synthetics.

its now cheap as horse sh*t and is still up to the job. i was down at the apf show last year and at the tree climbers forum was some old bloke slagging of asscenders and fancy ropes, he was old school -wooden ladder, trusty 3-strand witha bowline on bight and a plank of wood. - and chances are i can rinse a length and my boss wouldnt notice coz the only reason he bought it was because it was so cheap on the principle that we'll find a use for it later but it would be nice to get something that dosnt make you spin round and round every time you dangle inb your harness.

Tom D., I have never met anyone who climbed on Safety blue (16 strand) that didn't think it was good rope. There are lots of choices and some are better suited to particular styles than others but nobody despises Safety Blue.

If the rope choice you make allows you to make hundreds of dollars a day, is the shaving of a few bucks really worth it? I'm all for saving a buck, but not if it causes me to move about the crown any less swiftly or with ANY complications.

Where you save the money is by not touching the rope with a saw. That's where the costs lie, IMO, because ya gotta shell out to buy another rope to climb on. Care for the rope and give it a good, long climbing life and i'll doubt you think back to the fact that it cost $20 or $30 more than a 3-strand.

Not to derail the derailment, but the thread is about Whatcha Did Today . Do a search on ropes here at AS and you'll get volumes of perspectives, more info than you could hope for, or start a new thread.

Latest posts

Back