So whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did some prep work on a city(public) park renovation. About 150 trees to remove (bad shape and to make clearance for others and more open views for the public(safety)), 20.000M² brushcutting, 100trees to prune and the pavings to renew by a sub contractor. We got the renovation plans today, wednesday starts the pruning, the week upon the felling and brushcutting. 1st of november it must be completed, billed by the 15th november to get all additional subsidised funds. Its a nice all in logging work :), straight felling, climbing, crane, manlift all is involved:)))))

Ekka said:
How come you left those big stubs beneath you? wont stuff get caught up?

Just curious.

I was up above them and was too lazy to come down far enough to cut them closer to the trunk, yeah some stuff did get caught on them, I was wishing that I had cut them properly.

weeping willow removal

Took down a weeping willow.

We are restoring an old garden with some nice trees in. This willow was estimated 60 years and should stay in. When clearing the area i started yesterday to remove englisch ivy from the lower trunk. Then i found this on the trees base.(pic) After an hour talking with the owners they agreed to remove it for safety (kids around). For them that tree was one of the reasons they bought this house and garden. So i withnesed some tears that morning but they fully understand my concerns about the trees safety. Because the gardens renovation i havent got the time to go through all permits and the 6 week time span to allow a removal. I called the city and requested a instant removal approval for the obvious reasons. No problem at all, they just needed some pics that showed the decay and/or a piece off that trunk on the site untill a city representitive could come to see.

pic one shows decay at the fellcut (about 1 meter from groundlevel)

Pic two a 10cm² piece on the trunk that held the tree up before it broke and fell. (cutting backwards)

pic three a bees nest in the first branch, wow that smelled sweet around there. No stings or so they were friendly.

pic four is the base below the fellcut. Cambium was dead half way round at groundlevel, trunk hollow and broken trough at 3 points. Bark was heavily infected with fungus and none reaction growth to see to make an barrier zone.

Last edited:
Thor's Hammer said:
I Got Very Very Wet! bloody rain!!!!!!

Rain? SUN all day :))))

need that towmorrow to on a cranejob ( 70tons crane : ) Ill hope i can get some good pics, its at a chemical plant with more safety staff as operators and a strict policy on photography at their site. I wonder if i'm allowed to ride the ball up there :)))))

Worked across the river from a golf course, picture is from the bucket looking over the river to the other side.

I spent a few hours (once again) in a river taking out a macrocarpa that had gone roots up into it. There are 3 sets of soaked boots at the front door and two sets of chainsaw pants hanging infront of the fire. I dont like working in rivers, you cant put your saw down anywhere and you feel like gravity has increased by twofold. Got some pretty hunks out via a hiab. It can only lift 2 tonnes at a go so we have to be pretty careful of what we load up. The digger drove up the river and is still wrestling with the stump. Nice to have dry socks on

Ground guy for removals of 1 birch, a number of pines/spruces/cedars and also removal of one large branch from a nasty silver maple. Other groundie quit/did not show up yesterday but the boss picked someone else up that is a lot more with it (I felt this guy wasn't going to show, and I was right on the money). We were supposed to finish the maple this morning but it is pouring rain due to that stalled system off the east coast.

I hung flyers as a Certified Arborist. My first round being C.A. i hope the initials help secure great clients. I hung 350 mailboxes and expect 3 tree calls. Attemping HOA slide show presentation about trees. What better 8 m&m's or 24.

You wont believe what i did the other day!!! And it was NOT a good thing!

I was contract climbing these massive macrocapa trees, 3 other contractors had a go and left me the cream HA HA. Set up a rigging point in a leader which wasn't my first choice but because the boss didn't have a pulley block/rope i had to run the rigging rope directly over the a branch instead of using the other larger stem that unfortunately had no large branches. I then tip tied the branch to come off to deduce dynamic loading, got all the slack out, scarfed it, and all it slow motion the branch came around perfectly and ripped the whole rigging leader out! I could not believe it!

I made sure no one was close before the cuts, so no one was harmed. The leader that broke out smashed a close line, the branch being rigged missed everything. :dizzy:

Took down some more big cottonwoods, pictures are of cutting and loading the trunk. Before you ask, No, the forklift is not for sale.

Ground guy for removals of one large poplar, which we could not finish due to high winds off Lake Ontario. Other groundie quit/did not show up yesterday for the second day in a row. Then we did some chipping at another property-what a mess, moldy etc. Good Lowering device really makes my life easy!! Off to Toronto this morning for a job interview, then am meeting boss tomorrow am to do a tree inventory at a large upscale property mid town.

Still on my cottonwood removal job. Did another today. Tree had a honey bee hive in it and a bunch of carpenter bees were in the upper part as it had loads of dead wood. This tree had been topped about 12 years ago, and one of the spars was about 18" in diameter and about 15' of it was dead and was full of the carpenter bees and lizards.

Back