So what's the current Two stroke oil favorite for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I tune mine fatter than it needs to be. The way yours rev'd without 4 stroking at the end of one of the cuts had me going whoa there. If my saw did that, I'd be checking tune.
I tune my stuff so it 4 strokes out of the cut and cleans up in the wood my string trimmer is tuned the same.
I suppose that is why my stuff lasts so long even with all the hours.

I tune my stuff so it 4 strokes out of the cut and cleans up in the wood my string trimmer is tuned the same.

I suppose that is why my stuff lasts so long even with all the hours. Ok

Is the new Red Armor without the ester oil in it still good to go? Between RA and Schaeffer 9000 which would be better for Stihl and Echo saws in farm and ranch service?
Do we actually known it doesn't have ester?

No, and I could be wrong. I read it on the internet, either here or on the other place, so I pulled up the RA Safety Data Sheet and have read it over several times and saw no reference to esters.
Manufacturer/Supplier
Phillips 66 Spectrum Corporation

If I made a mistake, I'll own it. Perhaps bwalker would read the Red Armor SDS and set me straight.

I bet that Red Armor does have more Ester base % than PAO by the residue or film that it leaves behind. This film is a characteristic of Ester based synthetics . That also is why most FD rated ester based oils have the detergent / dispersent / antioxidizer packages . Most PAO based oils burn more readily at moderate to high temps . Actually , with the Proprietary Smoke & Mirrors that many companies utilize some use a combination of Ester & PAO based to control seal swell & other mentioned downsides along with the additive packages . Schaeffers does identify it base oil I believe , just don't recall since I have never used it , I bet the 9000 is a ester though ?

I bet that Red Armor does have more Ester base % than PAO by the residue or film that it leaves behind. This film is a characteristic of Ester based synthetics . That also is why most FD rated ester based oils have the detergent / dispersent / antioxidizer packages . Most PAO based oils burn more readily at moderate to high temps . Actually , with the Proprietary Smoke & Mirrors that many companies utilize some use a combination of Ester & PAO based to control seal swell & other mentioned downsides along with the additive packages . Schaeffers does identify it base oil I believe , just don't recall since I have never used it , I bet the 9000 is a ester though ?
Even RA mixed at 50:1 leaves a good film of oil on everything the Schaeffer's crap is leaves no oil film from my observances .

Echo power blend gold under the Toxicological information on the SDS list these ingredients. It is blended by Citgo.
Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic
Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light
Fatty acid amide

Echo red armor under the SDS blended by Phillips 66.
Polybutene
Hydrocarbons, C11-C14, n-alkanes, isoalkanes, cyclics, <2% aromatics
petroleum, solvent-dewaxed heavy paraffinic
Phenol, (dimethylamino)methyl-, (polymer)
Solvent naphtha, petroleum, heavy aromatic

No, and I could be wrong. I read it on the internet, either here or on the other place, so I pulled up the RA Safety Data Sheet and have read it over several times and saw no reference to esters.
Manufacturer/Supplier
Phillips 66 Spectrum Corporation

If I made a mistake, I'll own it. Perhaps bwalker would read the Red Armor SDS and set me straight.
Esters often are not toxic so they don't show up on msds files.
I dont know if it has ester or not and it really doesnt matter.

I dont think so (regarding esters!). Whenever there are esters in 2stroke oil....there is "biodegradability" mentioned in text...

Actually you got that backwards. PAO's are harder to combust and when the do combust do so in a more dirty manner. And it's the reason PAO's are not often used in two cycle oils.

Actually you got that backwards. PAO's are harder to combust and when the do combust do so in a more dirty manner. And it's the reason PAO's are not often used in two cycle oils.
100 % correct I did , didn't I . lol. Ester based synthetic oils have a much higher solvency factor than the older 1st generation synthetic technology PAO base oils , sorry about that , the characteristics are still relevant accordingly .

Yes the 9000 It leaves a black flakey coating on the sparkplugs as well.
Sounds like the same issue a buddy had with his trail sled with Dominator . Caused all kinds of exhaust power valve plugging ( black flakey ) also . I won't be using any Schaeffers product to pricy & not available locally .

100 % correct I did , didn't I . lol. Ester based synthetic oils have a much higher solvency factor than the older 1st generation synthetic technology PAO base oils , sorry about that , the characteristics are still relevant accordingly .
Actually the old synthetic two cycle oils where mostly di ester based.
The only 100% ester based oil that IMO was superb was Mobil MX2T/2R. It was a carboxyl ester, which was unique amongst two cycle oils when it came out. I would still place zero confidence in its ability to prevent corrosion.
Anymore the vast majority of the FD certified oils out there are PIB and highly refined mineral oil blends. This is a good approach as Yamaha proved over the years with 2R.

Latest posts

Back