So what's the current Two stroke oil favorite for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, marine oils are ashless, but they also have a heavier base oil blend because they are under more load. This fact and the fact ashless dispersents don't work over 300 degrees is the reason they can be dirty in a air cooled engine or something like a MX bike, snowmobile etc.. the dispersent technology marine oils use have no inherent corrosion inhibiting ability, while low ash oils have some corrosion inhibiting ability by virtue of the buffering effect of the magnesium and calcium sufonates used as detergents.
Low ash doesn't increase lubricity, it increase detergency.
My brother had an old Scott air cooled outboard , couldn't kill it , although you could hear it for miles !

Smoke and odor is reduced by substitution of PIB from bright stock. Helps smell as well, but much of the nasty smell from two cycle oils comes from the amine used in the ashless dispersent technology used in marine oils and Stihl Ultra.
Viscosity modifiers have never been used in two cycle oils.
Used filming amine chemical addition within boiler feed water to protect boiler tubes & reduce oxidation & damage to boiler equipment , also enhanced the heat transfer coefficient , yeah foul smelling stuff . To much added to the system often caused carry over into the condensate return system & associated valves as gunk balls & slime !

It also depends on what materials the cylinder is too. On the bikes super maxima is good for nickasil cylinder, maxima 927 is a synthetic castor blend for castiron sleeved cylinders. I would think some oils might not be good for everything.

Actually Bill have run Klotz Tech. & Klotz-R , Benol in Nickel plated aluminum cylinders in snowmobiles no etching or flaking or pitting issues . The Benol is very similar to the 927 a few % more Castor . The Klotz-R is more like the 927 . Even in Iron-sleeved engines , cylinder wear / performance was good with both oil class's when mixed properly . The Super Maxima should perform accordingly . I know I heard rumours previously that ester oil could effect the wear life of Nickisil , but put that down to improper ring end gap or mix ratio deficiencies rather than oil issues . Please enlighten us !

It also depends on what materials the cylinder is too. On the bikes super maxima is good for nickasil cylinder, maxima 927 is a synthetic castor blend for castiron sleeved cylinders. I would think some oils might not be good for everything.
I've never bought that theory. And have ran various oils in 250 mx bikes with nicisil cylinders and various oils in cr500's with steel cylinders. Good oil is good oil.

Actually Bill have run Klotz Tech. & Klotz-R , Benol in Nickel plated aluminum cylinders in snowmobiles no etching or flaking or pitting issues . The Benol is very similar to the 927 a few % more Castor . The Klotz-R is more like the 927 . Even in Iron-sleeved engines , cylinder wear / performance was good with both oil class's when mixed properly . The Super Maxima should perform accordingly . I know I heard rumours previously that ester oil could effect the wear life of Nickisil , but put that down to improper ring end gap or mix ratio deficiencies rather than oil issues . Please enlighten us !
Benol is straight castor, Super techniplate is 20% castor 80% ester, 927 is IIRC 60% caster and 40% poly glycol ester.

Yep that's what I said , Benol is primarily straight caster , Super Tech. is a caster & syn blend , 927 is a caster & syn blend . The point of my comment was that neither oil composition would be the basic or contributing cause of potential engine cylinder design damage . Other things cause cylinder surface damage as previously advised . However was hoping Bill would enlighten us !
Bought some oil at the local dollar general store to try in the string trimmer this spring.
It will probably smoke and stink a little It cost 1.69 for a 6.4 oz bottle and rated API TC.
20220116_182832.jpg

Bought some oil at the local dollar general store to try in the string trimmer this spring.
It will probably smoke and stink a little It cost 1.69 for a 6.4 oz bottle and rated API TC.
View attachment 956872
The older TC API specification , adequate for most hand held air cooled units when mixed & tuned for application . Actually was a previous water cooled engine oil spec . Let us know how you like the bouquet ( ocean mackerel flavour ) lol. ;)

The older TC API specification , adequate for most hand held air cooled units when mixed & tuned for application . Actually was a previous water cooled engine oil spec . Let us know how you like the bouquet ( ocean mackerel flavour ) lol. ;)
I am sure it will be fine since i run 32:1 in everything mixed with regular 87 I imagine it won't cause any problems.

I am sure it will be fine since i run 32:1 in everything mixed with regular 87 I imagine it won't cause any problems.
Any oil with the proper ratio & tuning will suffice grenade effect , just keep an eye on your exhaust port & muffler , with trimmers that's where it all becomes apparent quite readily !

Any oil with the proper ratio & tuning will suffice grenade effect , just keep an eye on your exhaust port & muffler , with trimmers that's where it all becomes apparent quite readily !
I run my trimmer hard during the summer maintaining a cemetery and i can run any oil in my trimmer and it won't splooge or spit oil but if idle it for 5 minutes it will start to do it.

TC was always designed for air cooled applications. TD was the API certified oil for liquid cooled marine engines.
TC oil will not have the amine stink that cheap marine oils have.
With that said TC is an absolute standard. In other words that oil has never been tested and you don't know what your getting. I'm betting it won't blow your motor up immediately, but if I was looking for a cheap oil I would use something like mystic or citgo air-cooled, which actually are certified and are very good for the price.

TC was always designed for air cooled applications. TD was the API certified oil for liquid cooled marine engines.
With that said TC is an absolute standard. In other words that oil has never been tested and you don't know what your getting. I'm betting it won't blow your motor up immediately, but if I was looking for a cheap oil I would use something like mystic or citgo air-cooled, which actually are certified and are very good for the price.
Mystic and citgo oils are not available here. All i know is that it is blended and packaged by Smitty Supply Inc that produces super s and cam2 products.

TD is obsolete , actually TC is also in my opinion other than relative to my current Lawnboys just old Api. Specifications that have been superceded by much more revelant Jaso Spec's . Actually none of specified oils will cause catastrophic engine failures when used properly in application .

I run my trimmer hard during the summer maintaining a cemetery and i can run any oil in my trimmer and it won't splooge or spit oil but if idle it for 5 minutes it will start to do it.
You have its tune pretty well optimized . You could adjust the ratio or tune further but a little more if your running it hard is better long term . I run my units accordingly never lug an air cooled engine , any VW or Harley mechanic will show you the downside ! lol. Cheers brother !

TD is obsolete , actually TC is also in my opinion other than relative to my current Lawnboys just old Api. Specifications that have been superceded by much more revelant Jaso Spec's . Actually none of specified oils will cause catastrophic engine failures when used properly in application .
All API standards are absolete

Latest posts

Back