So what's the current Two stroke oil favorite for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If api TC is obsolete then why is the spec still listed on bottles.
It's still is a legal certification for a rudimentary oil specification as listed . However it has been vastly superseded within the design perimeters of today's oils quality specifications within various applications . It's like comparing a Model T to a Ferrari within Oil Performance Standards ! Obsolete Defined : " Out of date , less developed , rudimentary ! " No longer used , replaced with something new ! " Pretty clear to me !

Ultra was a quick fix to Stihl's 4- Mix engine oil delima . Not a great oil in numerous chain saw application's ! Ultra HP is a better overall product .
Why is shell inferior for chainsaw use? Low cst of 7.x (almost sae20 oil)?

All I can read about Stihl Ultra is:

1)bad odour
2) leaves nasty residue in muffler and on piston crown....

Why is shell inferior for chainsaw use? Low cst of 7.x (almost sae20 oil)?

All I can read about Stihl Ultra is:

1)bad odour
2) leaves nasty residue in muffler and on piston crown....
Its a bad choice for the exact reasons you have listed . It has also apparently given numerous individuals extreme headaches & eye & lung irritation during usage in chainsaws . It has caused engine damage in numerous chainsaw applications do to carbon fouling and overheating in recommended manufacturer oil ratio's . Like any oil , if mixed properly , in conjunction with proper carb tuning to application , satisfactory results are possible !

TD oils as previously advised were for marine oil applications ( outboard) that operate at much lower temperatures , there fore Ashless oil is required . Ash additives " mettalic " can cause deposit formation within low temp operating engines . Therefore TC low ash oils were designed for air cooled engine applications where the higher operating temperature could utilize the ash effectively without residue or carbon deposits becoming an issue . Both are as advised rudimentary & obsolete within today's more refined premium 2T oil specifications . If you want the best protection use Jaso FD certified oils . Otherwise use FB or FC with knowledge of proper mixing & tuning requirements according to your engine usage . Simple as that !
What really requires marine engines and lawnboys to run ashless oil is the fact they run more or less constant throttle. This constant throttle operation causes mettalic ash build up on the head and piston, which grounds out spark plugs and can cause pre ignition.
It's for the same reason aviation engines use ashless oil.

They are definitely superb oils....BUT!

I am not a professional logger....more like occasional/seasonal user...so my saws an (s)trimmer dont get much use...and even when they do....I am not nearly using them on their limits...

So...for me....Motul 800 smokes too much @32:1...and leaves goo in mufflers...

Ipone....said it has pleasant strawberry scent....well....it smells more like burnt plastic :) You are trimming for 5 minutes and you are already annoyed because of those burnt strawberries...

I am looking after Shell ultra....like his (on paper) low burning point (that at least in teory means clean exhaust)....

If you are not advanced/hard user....always try to focus on sythetic oils with low burning points!

Another example of good oil would be Motul 2t 710 (or Motul Scooter Power....I think that is the same oil under different label!)
Low flash point doesn't mean the oil combustion easier and not by a long shot.

Its a bad choice for the exact reasons you have listed . It has also apparently given numerous individuals extreme headaches & eye & lung irritation during usage in chainsaws . It has caused engine damage in numerous chainsaw applications do to carbon fouling and overheating in recommended manufacturer oil ratio's . Like any oil , if mixed properly , in conjunction with proper carb tuning to application , satisfactory results are possible !
He's talking about Shell Ultra, not Stihl Ultra.
Shell Ultra is probably a decent oil. Stihl Ultra is not.

What really requires marine engines and lawnboys to run ashless oil is the fact they run more or less constant throttle. This constant throttle operation causes mettalic ash build up on the head and piston, which grounds out spark plugs and can cause pre ignition.
It's for the same reason aviation engines use ashless oil.
I agree , good further points of consideration within TD oils & lawnboy products Mr Walker !

He's talking about Shell Ultra, not Stihl Ultra.
Shell Ultra is probably a decent oil. Stihl Ultra is not.
#581 he grouped Ultra with Motul 800 & spong @ 32:1 ...etc. Then again mentioned the foul smell & cyl. , head deposits re: Stihl Ultra , so I replied accordingly . As far as Shell 2T oil are very good products when used appropriately . My son still uses Shell 2T oils religiously , good pricing as you previously indicated with Mystik/ Citgo products !

Stihl Ultra bad ! Shell Ultra good ! Tarzan said !
Tnx! :)
118736240-hand-giving-a-ripe-banana.jpg

#581 he grouped Ultra with Motul 800 & spong @ 32:1 ...etc. Then again mentioned the foul smell & cyl. , head deposits re: Stihl Ultra , so I replied accordingly . As far as Shell 2T oil are very good products when used appropriately . My son still uses Shell 2T oils religiously , good pricing as you previously indicated with Mystik product !
I haven't seen Shell Ultra since I lived in Canada. It's just not available here, but has a good reputation in your neighborhood.

I haven't seen Shell Ultra since I lived in Canada. It's just not available here, but has a good reputation in your neighborhood.
Similar to Citco oil reputation you mentioned earlier b , all around serviceable product @ a fair price , I believe their Shell Advanced Ultra 2T is the oil my Son use in his sleds one is a 503 air cooled Rotax twin in a Skandic fishing sled . The other is a 800 Polaris liquid cooled twin RMK mountain sled with power valves . Nice and clean in both units 8 yrs running .

Latest posts

Back