So what's the current Two stroke oil favorite for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Echo powerblend ? Yeah was a proven oil at a reasonable cost ! ($38 / 4 litre hug ) . Compared to Echo Red Armor @ ( $165 / 4 litre jug ) .
Those are Canadian prices. Everything is much cheaper in the US.
But even so Red Armor is expensive.
If you want a great oil for a low price in Canada it's hard to beat Yamalube. In fact I would run/trust that over anything Amsoil offers.

I imagine the catalytic muffler seated against the cylinder didn't help this poor echo.
Heat really drives FB and marine oils into a death spiral. They simply don't have any deposit control above 300 degrees. This starts to limit ring mobility, blow by ensues, combustion games burn off most of the oil on the cylinder wall and you start to really wear the cylinder and rings. Sooner or latter you lose compression and it won't start or it seizes.

Heat really drives FB and marine oils into a death spiral. They simply don't have any deposit control above 300 degrees. This starts to limit ring mobility, blow by ensues, combustion games burn off most of the oil on the cylinder wall and you start to really wear the cylinder and rings. Sooner or latter you lose compression and it won't start or it seizes.
I try my best to use good oil and avoid stihl ultra at all costs and my equipment is running fine.

@ Huskhil I have a 290 and a 460, both saws are 10+ years old. I cut 10-12 cords a year for heat plus the occasional cleanup around here and at friends/family. I also use my 460 for milling so when it runs it gets a work out. Run on stihl oil exclusively from day one.

In light of this thread I pulled the mufflers off both. I have not had the mufflers off in at least 2 years, maybe 3 and was interested in how things looked compared to your pictures. I stuffed my wireless snake camera in for some pics. Buttoned them back up and came in to share them here and they did not transfer to my phone 🤨 Hook back up to device and they are there in storage but will not transfer. I will work on figuring this out as I am interested in your opinions.

For now, the few I took with my phone. Nothing has been touched or cleaned up. The pictures you are probably most interested in are on my wireless snake. I will work on figuring that out in a bit after I am done clearing the driveways. Again. 🙃
290 compression
View attachment 958854
460 compressionView attachment 958857

I've been told by a friend the 290 is on the low side but it has held steady ever since I began checking them which is 5 or 6 years now. And it runs great.

Screen on the 290 has not been cleaned in a few seasons. This saw sees the most use of the 2.
Plug has a couple of seasons on it as well.

View attachment 958852View attachment 958853
460 with the muffler off. I don't have one of the 290 on my phone but it was not any worse for wear compared to the 460.
View attachment 958856

I'll reiterate these saws have never been opened up. Not ever. Which makes your pics of a 1 year old saw all the more shocking. Either I have been super lucky or there are variables here that I'm missing.
Carbon accumulating on the exhaust port, which has already begun to etch the piston skirt !

Those are Canadian prices. Everything is much cheaper in the US.
But even so Red Armor is expensive.
If you want a great oil for a low price in Canada it's hard to beat Yamalube. In fact I would run/trust that over anything Amsoil offers.
Yeah , but that's what I mean even in the US , $30 a qt is ridiculous for aircooled oils . I still have some Yamalube from a buddy 2 yr old , should use it up . Actually still have a qt of shell 2T Advanced right beside it lol. I got to get more 2-t units or set up a 24 hr auction ! lol.

Yeah , but that's what I mean even in the US , $30 a qt is ridiculous for aircooled oils . I still have some from a buddy 2 yr old , should use it up . Actually still have a qt of shell 2T Advanced right beside it lol. I got to get more units or set u a 24hr auction ! lol.
Mix all the oils together and run it.

I bought two quarts of this today to add to my 2 stroke oil container rated FC so it should work fine.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...-c1500-pickup-rwd?q=motor+oil+-+2+cycle&pos=4
The no-ash designation has me concerned with aircooled usage , appears to be a semi syn TD / TC compliant . Also is a very lite viscosity injector or premix style oil , have to have your engine tuned accordingly . Low ash I would asking how much $ lol. My outboards are 4-stroke anyways , hate killing the minnows !

Latest posts

Back