So what's the current Two stroke oil favorite for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warning there’s two stroke oil for injection two stroke engines, for quads and snowmobiles. This oil does not mix with gas well.

There is different two stroke oils for different liners or plated cylinders, steel, castiron, chrome, nickasil.

Adjust your carb to the ratio your using. Pick a ratio.

There are different saw operators. Some run half throttle some run wot. Wot gives the engine full air flow for cooling.

This oil thread has a black cat life cycle . 9 lives + numerous opinions ! . Anyhow in summary any good FB or FC oil is adequate for recreational 2 cycle aircooled engines . FD rated or if you have money to burn , FD Certified oils are a good choice for those with compromised respiratory systems or low tolerance to petroleum distillate & aromatic hydrocarbons residue or are not mechanically inclined (Tuning 101) Back in the day 50 hr teardowns were routine , to decarbonize & inspect for component wear . Racing engines were tore down between race weekends to check for ring end gap specifications & bearing end play , along with rudimentary plug coloration & compression testing . The base oils were always FC rated initially , then when compression levels & multi cylinders engines became the norm caster based oils found their niche , since these veritable based oils protected engines from extreme heat & gallng or partial seize conditions , however they left behind nasty residue which coated everything , carbon fouling was extreme , necessitating even more frequent teardown . Oil technology has came a long way since liquid cooling & lower operating temps & emmission compliance has evolved to necessitate better sealing , more energy , less fouling & better durability & reliability + the bonus of potentially less emissions to the atmosphere . Good discussions !

I remember in the 50’s my gocart clinton powered used Quaker state 30wt motor oil as two stroke oil. This is why the older two strokes still run today.

Warning there’s two stroke oil for injection two stroke engines, for quads and snowmobiles. This oil does not mix with gas well.

There is different two stroke oils for different liners or plated cylinders, steel, castiron, chrome, nickasil.

There are different saw operators. Some run half throttle some run wot. Wot gives the engine full air flow for cooling.
Actually injector oil mixes easier with gasoline, because it has more diluent.
The different two cycle oils for different cylinder materials is not something that I've ever believed in. A bit of an old wives tail IMO. However, it matters not in chain saws as everything built in the last few decades is plated.

It mixes better than opti 2 but i add 4 ounces to can then fill with 1 gallon of gas and shake the hell out of it.

Exhaust port looks bad, the 290 is low on compression( let's see the ring area). What's the pistons looks like?
And your saws have low hours all things considered.

Except its been "low" for years. LOL.
I would be curiosu to see your pictures of your 10+ year old "low hour" stuff that hasn't been torn apart? That might make me a believer.
I guess the pictures aren't very clear. I tried scraping the carbon off my "plugged" port with a pick. Very little there. The muffler is bone dry! LOL. You guys are comical.

This oil thread has a black cat life cycle . 9 lives + numerous opinions ! . Anyhow in summary any good FB or FC oil is adequate for recreational 2 cycle aircooled engines . FD rated or if you have money to burn , FD Certified oils are a good choice for those with compromised respiratory systems or low tolerance to petroleum distillate & aromatic hydrocarbons residue . Back in the day 50 hr teardowns were routine , to decarbonize & inspect for component wear . Racing engines were tore down between race weekends to check for ring end gap specifications & bearing end play , along with rudimentary plug coloration & compression testing . The base oils were always FC rated initially , then when compression levels & multi cylinders engines became the norm caster based oils found their niche , since these veritable based oils protected engines from extreme heat & gallng or partial seize conditions , however they were left behind nasty residue which coated everything , carbon fouling was extreme , necessitating even more frequent teardown . Oil technology has came a long way , better sealing , more energy , less fouling & better durability & reliability + the bonus of potentially less emissions to the atmosphere . Good discussions !
FB is garbage oil.
FC or FD, preferably FD.

Castor came well before, decades in fact before FC and FD existed. It's a time thing. As oils improved they attained higher ratings.
FC was around in the 90's when the FD oils came out like Mobil 2R they were indeed better. Quality does matter.

I would be curiosu to see your pictures of your 10+ year old "low hour" stuff that hasn't been torn apart? That might make me a believer.
I guess the pictures aren't very clear. I tried scraping the carbon off my "plugged" port with a pick. Very little there. The muffler is bone dry! LOL. You guys are comical.
Stihl ultra is best LOL NOT! 20220123_144738.jpg

You simply don't know what your looking at.
Like the guy earlier in thise thread that showed a piston worn to hell with only 5 hours on and thought it looked good!
And sitting round for ten years without being ran much doesn't mean squat.

Injector oils readily fall out of suspension ( separate ) in premix use , much like many straight castor oils . You must mix at room temp & agqitate often when not in use . Good points Bill ! P.S. I'm a half throttle / WOT kinda guy ! ;)

You simply don't know what your looking at.
Like the guy earlier in thise thread that showed a piston worn to hell with only 5 hours on and thought it looked good!

No pictures then? Thats ok. It is pretty evident by the amount you post you probably don't have the time to put hours on much.

We ran two stroke injected motorcycles and still use two stroke quads to this day along with pre mix bikes. We keep the different oils separate.
Husqvarna pistons for there vintage dirtbikes aren’t cheap.

Injector oils readily fall out of suspension ( separate ) much like many straight castor oils . You must mix at room temp & agqitate often when not in use . Good points Bill ! P.S. I'm a half throttle / WOT kinda guy !
Not true at all. They actually mix better duento the fact they are thinner and have more dilluent.

No pictures then? Thats ok. It is pretty evident by the amount you post you probably don't have the time to put hours on much.
Here you go bud. Redmax EBZ8000 piston used professional for 7 seasons. I then used it on a regular basis for fall clean up, blow snow and for burning brush. Many times it ran all day long burning stump piles. Many hundreds of hours.

Attachments

• 20220123_172945.jpg
    20220123_172945.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 20220123_172937.jpg
    20220123_172937.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back