So what's the current Two stroke oil favorite for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the 100 :1 rated prefix oils have very thick viscosity , something in the blend though helps to maintain the oil in suspension , much better than the past castor based oils which would fall out of suspension readily .
Castor just doesn't like to mix with gasoline even in normal temps.
The synthetics used in those high mix ratio products blend much easier. However, as others have noted they donhave problems when it's cold. Not with staying suspended, but rather with mixing period.

I have ran all 3 oils and the interceptor does burn a bit cleaner than the Dominator. Ran a bunch of interceptor in sleds for injection oil. We use Saber as a mix oil when we are going on long dirt bike trips, doesn't take much oil at 100 to 1. I have no wear data on Saber as the bikes are normally run on Dominator. Both the Dominator and interceptor show almost 0 wear on all of our bikes. And yes this is with measurements before the personal attacks start! We ran a 01 KTM 250exc to failure just to see what would happen. 15000+ miles over 550 hours on dominator and saber. 45 to 50 to 1 on dominator and 100 to 1 on saber. We purchased the bike new so I had a baseline. Compression was still within 10 psi of new just before the ring land broke on the first compression ring. Topend was NEVER touched. Rings were badly worn at over .030 more than spec but they had been run excessively! Bike should have had at least 5 topends! Piston skirt only had minor wear along with the nikasil plating. Cyl could have been cleaned and a oversize piston put in but when the ringland broke it scared the cyl wall. PV was fairly clean and still worked but was sticky. Put a new topend on the bike and it is still running. As far as saws go I have only had 2 of mine apart. 1 372 totally exploded the piston as it was heavily worked and very weak. Kevin fixed that one for me and it is still running the OEM cylinder. I pulled my 357 apart and cleaned the ports up and deleted the base gasket. No measurable wear any place and clean on the inside. Guessing 300 tanks of fuel+. Sold saw to a friend and it still runs great. [The one I should not have sold]. As far as the interceptor in sleds, pv and chambers have always looked clean and require very little maintenance. never measured any of them as they did not need to be torn down any farther. We also use Amsoil injector oil in our boats with good success. 2 300 HPDI's [most fussy engine Yamaha ever built] 1 250 HPDI and a 250 OX66. 1 of the 300's and the OX are modded. We used to run Yamalube and they required cleaning and alot of seafoam at least once a year. The 02 sensor in the OX was nasty with the Yamalube, with the Amsoil it has been good and only needs cleaned once every few years. We ran Yamalube in the race sleds and it was dirty in them also, protected good but dirty. Anyway sorry about the long post but this is just some of my past experience with Amsoil. Ran a bunch of Klotz products with varying success. R50 was a plug fouling SOB! Anyway just a FYI. CJ
Your a man after my own heart CJ . I,am a little long in the tooth , spent the majority of my early teens in the Amateur Class , racing air cooled MX & Enduro's in the summer & Super stock & Factory Mod sleds in the winter in the late 60's to early 70's . Eventually dropped the cycle competition to devote more time to the sled racing dynamics , Oval Sprint / Enduro - Cross Country / Drag . The 70's were quite a turbulent & exciting time in 2 cycle oil & engine design . Air cooled engines were refined into multi cylinder applications until horsepower levels peaked to a critical path , requiring more consistent temperature control to achieve anymore reliable horsepower , liquid cooling was engineered into the mix . I did quite well as an independent racer of Arctic Cat & Yamaha , so well that in 1975 the local distributor for Polaris approached me with a full sponsorship . I agreed and spent 2 yrs travelling throughout North America Competing , Kawartha Cup in Peterborough Ontario for our National Championships , Rhinlander Minnesota , Eagle River Wisconsin for USSRA Championship , along with stops various other International Series Sprint & Endurance Race Series . Initially Quaker State & Shell were the Primary Series Oil Sponsors with Bel-Ray , Opti2 & Klotz as Associate Series Sponsors . I have used all above noted Oil Manufacturer products with great success in both Cycles & Sleds . Usually in Premix ratios of 40:1 in the MX Class Cycles & Air Cooled Class Sleds & 50:1 in the Enduro Class Cycles & Liquid Cooled Sleds . Also within saws at the same ratios but not the same predictable results ! lol. Later on the Oil technology again fell behind , when the Higher horsepower sleds needed more refined protection than the current Mineral based oils could deliver . Thus the niche was made for Blended Castor based oils in the 80' s , these blended castor oils allowed maximum engine failure protection , with reasonable teardown schedules for carbon fouling prevention . I did well enough eventually to achieve a full independent factory ride , a 650 TX Starfire Centurian Triple Free-air with Polaris for the 1976/77 season . Bob Eastman & Leroy Linblad had retired from active drivers , & Steve Thorson , Jerry Bunke & Brad Hulings from Mercury fame were hired on . Bob & Leroy continued on as Race Directors & Engineers respectively . I learned a lot from Leroy on chassis & suspension / track set up . Bob was great at Engine Design & Reliability Testing Protocols . I really was impressed with their devotion to oil testing perimeters , that I expanded it to my cycles in the off season . Anyhow your testimonials within your engine manufacturers & oil applications rings true to fact . I fondly recall my days in the sun with my 1970 Hondaka Super Rat , 1971 KX-350 Big-horn , 1972 Cz-250 MX & later 1977 Husky-390 & 1978 Can-Am 370 qualifier , which actually still own . I currently have run Dominator in the Can-Am , switched to Interceptor in Sept. My current 2 sleds Polaris 700 SKS Trail Sled with a reworked Liberty Engine sans power valves , have ran it at 50:1 with Interceptor or with 100:1 Saber premix added during injector system use . My other sled is a Polaris 850 Patriot RMK Mountain Sled with power valves , both sleds have numerous performance hours with no issues . Thanks for your input I concurr with your rational & findings brother & the memories ! :blob2:. P.S. R.I.P. Jim Adema , a personal friend from Belmont Michigan , who taught me porting 101 a fellow independent racer , Snow-Jet "Thunder-Jet pilot , until his death at Ironwood Michigan in 1975 , incredible engineer & human being :confused:

Castor just doesn't like to mix with gasoline even in normal temps.
The synthetics used in those high mix ratio products blend much easier. However, as others have noted they donhave problems when it's cold. Not with staying suspended, but rather with mixing period.
Yeah , the Benol & especially the R50 needed to be mixed & stored in our heated Sled Hauler . It would fall out of suspension within a few hrs of storage , if not remixed , Pretty well stayed in suspension @ -20+ , @ least during 500 mile Endurance runs @ The International (I-500) Endurance Race with terminal speeds of 130 mph. on the dog leg back stretch . That Factory 650 c.c. Centurian Air-Cooled Triple was Bullet Proof as was the Magniesium / Titanium bulk head !

Yeah , the Benol & especially the R50 needed to be mixed & stored in our heated Sled Hauler . It would fall out of suspension within a few hrs of storage , if not remixed , Pretty well stayed in suspension @ -20+ , @ least during 500 mile Endurance runs @ The International (I-500) Endurance Race with terminal speeds of 130 mph. on the dog leg back stretch . That Factory 650 c.c. Centurian Air-Cooled Triple was Bullet Proof as was the Magniesium / Titanium bulk head !
When Inwas very young my dad had a 500cc Centurian. I've also been to the I500.
The guy that worked on my sleds use to build sleds for the I500.
I know for a fact that Super Techniplate snd Maxima 927 both won't stay mixed in temps under 40 degrees. Didn't have much luck getting them to remix either without warming the fuel up.

When Inwas very young my dad had a 500cc Centurian. I've also been to the I500.
The guy that worked on my sleds use to build sleds for the I500.
I know for a fact that Super Techniplate snd Maxima 927 both won't stay mixed in temps under 40 degrees. Didn't have much luck getting them to remix either without warming the fuel up.
The 1979 500 Centurian was a tamed down clone of Leroy's 1975 Soo I-500 Winning Factory Limited Starfire 650 liquid triple . The liquid 500 was manufactured by Fugi Industries in Japan . As with all TX Starfire engines it was incredibly fast and reliable . I'am dated still prefer the 1972 TX-500 Starfire Limited Sled those 3 exposed free air heads poking through the cowl ! P.S. Still my favorite snowmobile race town . We entered the Soo race in 74 as independents , started 37 th ended in 17 th . In 75 as a Associate Polaris Factory Team we finished 11 th well behind Leroy & Larry Rugland & Wes Pesek . In 1978 again as independents , but Mercury factory backed we , finally broke through & we won with my buddies John , Ken & Don . It was my last yr as an Active Driver !

All the 100 :1 rated prefix oils have very thick viscosity , something in the blend though helps to maintain the oil in suspension , much better than the past castor based oils which would fall out of suspension readily .
ran 70:1 opti oil for a few years on my trimmers it left a nice oil film and had no odor and produced no smoke left the ports spotless as well but opti has gotten hard to find so i am back to my cheap 32:1 with great results.

No...."to lean" means.....no 4stroking @WOT! That translates into.....no cooling efect (for the engine/cylinder) when unburnt fuel (unburnt because carburetor isxset to rich) expands into the muffler (that expansion sound as 4stroking).

Its the same efect as with an AC (air condition) .....when compressed air expands into the room.....it makes room cooler!

No...."to lean" means.....no 4stroking @WOT! That translates into.....no cooling efect (for the engine/cylinder) when unburnt fuel (unburnt because carburetor isxset to rich) expands into the muffler (that expansion sound as 4stroking).

Its the same efect as with an AC (air condition) .....when compressed air expands into the room.....it makes room cooler!
Oh , that's clear enough , so when the rate of evaporation , exceeds the dew point ! What happens ...again ?

Got me a case of my usual at Walmart that i run at 32:1 the msds is not very telling of what it has but i know someone sent it to a lab and found out it has got bit of calcium in it.
It is clean burning and leaves a good film of oil and doesn't have a odor what so ever. flash point is 424 *F
http://msds.walmartstores.com/clien...HazdocumentKey=undefined&MSDS=0&subformat=NAMView attachment 959469
View attachment 959474
You have to ship some of that bargain store 2T up North here , so I can trial it in my Mosquito fogger , bet it would be a real crowd pleaser ! :laughing:

Oh , that's clear enough , so when the rate of evaporation , exceeds the dew point ! What happens ...again ?
Had to google translate "the dew point"...

Well.....I am using my two strokes in an ideal world :D Where there is nice Pub in the middle of the forest near by....wich serves cold beer....so I can go on cold beer when "the dew point" strikes in :D

Back