so when you shut off your chainsaw....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

builttoughf350

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
when you shut off your saw, do you leave the kill switch on "off" and if so, why?

i prefer to take the extra fraction of a second to just switch it back to "on" when the engine has stopped so that when me or whoever else goes back to pick up the saw its ready to pull and start...

so do you leave yours on "off" or switch it back to "on"

Off is off,

It is really a moot point, leaving it in the off position would prevent it from starting if some one aggressively picks it up by the rope, if accidentally left in the high-idle position, 1 in one million of a chance of someone getting bite by the chain spinning.

I leave mine in the off spot, just habit to pick the saw up as i slide my hand around the handle to slide a hand across the switch to "on" .

If your going to clean the air filter, set the choke, a lot less chance of sheet getting in there.

Last edited:
when you shut off your saw, do you leave the kill switch on "off" and if so, why?

i prefer to take the extra fraction of a second to just switch it back to "on" when the engine has stopped so that when me or whoever else goes back to pick up the saw its ready to pull and start...

Yep. I leave it ready to go. I'm not too worried about it 'going off' by itself. ;)

Trim saw on. Big saw off.

+1
in a tree, the saw stays turned on, ready to unclip and pull.
on the ground they are turned off and left in the off position
-Ralph

BTW, I guess a few chainsaws guys didn't notice that this is arborist 101.... welcome. wipe your feet though, this is climbers territory. but you can just think of it as hallowed ground ;)

Just habit for me-when i shut a saw off, i always flip the switch back on. In fact, it drives me nuts when i pick up a saw my groundies have last used and try to start it-used to just pulling and go. Usually have to give it two pulls before i remember to turn the switch on. Always cracks my groundies up.:D

There is really no reason i always turn the switch back on-just something i've always done-guess a little ocd.

On or Off Don't Care

Chain brake always engaged before I set a saw down. If someone starts the saw for a reason or by accident, the chain don't spin.

I"ve never really put a whole lot of thought into it. Or really cared to pay enough attention to what I do. It's just like a second nature of do what I do.

Except for in a tree, I see no point in turning it back on. It doesn't save any time in any case, actually loses time for me as it would take an extra moment to turn it back on before setting it down.

Harry K
Yup. My 270 is all in one switch so it is always checked first, me old Sthil has no kill switch so it gets choked off. Sort of second nature to make sure everything is set to go before you pull the rope, so its a 6 & 1/2dozen question imho. :D

hey donny. if you wipe back to front the ladies wont appreciate that none too much. you want to pull that scent away from the junk, not to it.

oldirty

Latest posts

Back