Soaking firewood in old used motor oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread is FUNNY!!!!!!!

I agree-

For the record - I am an old farm boy that still lives in the family homestead. I live in the country with virtually no neighbors in eye or ear shot. I don't make a habit of defending the gubment. And I love burning and processing wood responsibly and sustainably.

Now excuse me, I have to reload my stove. I just got a new truckload of shredded tires to try out.:blob2:

Congratulations on letting FACTS get in the way of an entertaining thread!:mad:

Ha! That is pretty funny.

Thanks, Pook for posting that link. (I wondered if you were gonna chime in)

Ahhh...but alas - it wasn't written by a country boy, so it must be jaded. There aren't any pictures in the report so I did a copy paste of the important part:

"In general, burning used motor oils creates toxic metal
aerosols that are very serious air pollutants. Used oil should be taken to a
recycle center."

Way more as a whole or per capita?

Or should some people be allowed to pollute more than others? What I call the 'Al Gore' effect.

Meh... I'm more interested in Webber charcoal grill particulate output on the 4th of July.

Or better yet what were the estimates on that Volcano that just went off earlier this year? Gawd mother nature is destructive.

Here's a liberal invention idea for someone. Design and sell a muffler that can be attached to any chimney in the world. Find some moron like Gore to market it for you. Then pay off some politician to write a law mandating it be placed on every home that burns wood or just have the EPA mandate it.

Own the copywrite for it and profit.

http://burningissues.org/bi/table2.htm this is analysis of woodsmoke

prior link states oil has to be burnt @ high temp but not @ what temp so it seems that a hot burn is desirable to burn the chemicals
question is= will oil soaked wood burn hotter & if provided adequate combustion air, will it result in an overall cleaner burn?............except for metals in the used oil which might be a very small amount

Meh... I'm more interested in Webber charcoal grill particulate output on the 4th of July.

Or better yet what were the estimates on that Volcano that just went off earlier this year? Gawd mother nature is destructive.

Here's a liberal invention idea for someone. Design and sell a muffler that can be attached to any chimney in the world. Find some moron like Gore to market it for you. Then pay off some politician to write a law mandating it be placed on every home that burns wood or just have the EPA mandate it.

Own the copywrite for it and profit.

Fireworks on the 4th of July will be outlawed too. Just look the direction things are headed.

People trying to burn oil in their woodstoves only accelerates the laws and regulations we get.

Act stupid, expect to be legislated.

Copyright.

Nobody in our trailer park can afford the synthetic stuff. We been gettin our oil for our 76 Chrysler Imperial from a guy down the road who changes it every 3000 miles.

That makes me laugh.... I used to have a Taurus that burned oil so bad, that I would dump waste oil in it because it was all I could afford at the time.

.......and no doubt you helped to bring about emissions testing. As was just said: Act stupid, expect to be regulated. Taking pride in acting stupid........this thread seems a mecca for that behavior.

No emissions testing had long been in place before that stupid Taurus. Sometimes you do whatever it takes to get to work.

I'm sure the smoke would be no different than from a waste oil stove.

I doubt that. Those oil burners run very clean.
I would think the only thing you would really need to do is spray some kindling down with some lamp oil ( something scented would be nice for romance) and there ya go. I recomend the spray, which you could put the oil in an old cleaner bottle, because it would dampen it enough to burn for awhile but not drip or soak into something else. I would take that to the bank before one of you other idiots does something, yet again, completly boneheaded. Not you in particular, good sir, but I dunno.

No emissions testing had long been in place before that stupid Taurus. Sometimes you do whatever it takes to get to work.

No doubt that a man has to do, what a man has to do.

Soaking logs in used motor oil is a choice, with a very negative impact on the surroundings. Used motor oil will contain some very bad stuff that simply doesn't just "burn" up, even with what would be considered VERY high stove temps:

This is based off of arsenic treated lumber, but used motor oil will also contain arsenic:
Burning:Incineration of CCA wood does not destroy arsenic.

Point - even at the temps that an incinerator runs at - it does not destroy arsenic. There are many other compounds in used motor oil that yield the same results. And we haven't even considered the dioxins found in it.

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: Done and out.

No doubt that a man has to do, what a man has to do.

Soaking logs in used motor oil is a choice, with a very negative impact on the surroundings. Used motor oil will contain some very bad stuff that simply doesn't just "burn" up, even with what would be considered VERY high stove temps:

This is based off of arsenic treated lumber, but used motor oil will also contain arsenic:
Burning:Incineration of CCA wood does not destroy arsenic.

Point - even at the temps that an incinerator runs at - it does not destroy arsenic. There are many other compounds in used motor oil that yield the same results. And we haven't even considered the dioxins found in it.

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: Done and out.

Never tried to burn oil in my stove. Ocean water contains arsenic too.:hmm3grin2orange:

I would never even have thought to soak logs in oil. Sounds pretty messy to me. And that oil stains everything it touches. How would you get it in the stove without it dripping all over the floor. At least that slow drip thing makes a little more sense. Can't imagine having a waste oil reservoir in my living room though, lol.

Fireworks on the 4th of July will be outlawed too. Just look the direction things are headed.

People trying to burn oil in their woodstoves only accelerates the laws and regulations we get.

Act stupid, expect to be legislated.

Copyright.
yes, outlaw fireworx!

On the farm we used to make "starter logs" by taking a cardboard box, filling it with saw dust, and saturating it with used motor oil. Worked great, then we figured out how to filter/clean it ourselves and now mix it with the fuel going into the tractors. Much more valuable as a motor fuel. I am sure Al Gore would have a stroke over that too.

I would never even have thought to soak logs in oil. Sounds pretty messy to me. And that oil stains everything it touches. How would you get it in the stove without it dripping all over the floor.

No, no, no...
You don't soak the wood in a bucket of oil... too messy. I have a rack out behind the garage under the eve that holds about half a cord. I stack well seasoned wood on it split-side-up and every time I change oil in something I slowly poor the oil along the top. The oil runs down between the splits but never makes it to the bottom row. Over time, as the upper pieces become more saturated they shed more and more oil to the lower pieces; dry wood will suck engine warm waste oil right in. Within a couple hours you can handle the wood without even getting your fingers dirty. And the really cool part is that wood sheds water like a ducks feather, never need to cover it. By the time winter gets cold enough you want a fire goin' in the shop it's ready... it don't take much, just toss 2 or 3 pieces in after ya' get the other wood burning good... lots 'a heat. Of course a fella' changes oil in the winter also, but just keep pouring the oil on the stack as you're using it. By spring it's time to fill the rack again,

Yeah, I know I said I was done with this thread... but I didn't want you thinkin' I was soaking individual pieces of wood in a bucket... and then walking around the house with used oil drippin' all over the carpet.

I always have a good bit of used motor oil, hydraulic oil sometimes, and even occasional transmission fluid. It's very difficult to find places to recycle it in these parts, but I have two ways to get rid of it that I think are reasonable and not too environmentally damaging, IMHO. I do a good bit of prescribed burning, for hardwood control in the understory of pine stands, hazard reduction in cleaner pine plantations and also site preparation burning where large piles of tops and logging debris around decks must be disposed of before planting. I mix about one half used oil with gas for drip torch fuel instead of having to buy diesel to mix with the gas. This only works well with the Panama brand torches since the Sure Seal or Seat Tite brands don't seem to stay lit with the motor oil. I also pour some on the top of brush piles, letting in soak in for a few minutes to help in igniting the brush and to get rid of the oil. I don't pour enough out for it to run off onto the ground. I can easily get rid of twenty or thirty gallons in a day by doing this. I believe that the brush piles generate enough heat to pretty well incinerate any oil and whatever it contains. YMMV.

So, what this forum is telling me is that I should advise one of my best customers who is also is running a trucking and logging business to do the following:

(1) set aside a 200 gallon tank where he can drop off all the waste oil from his grandson's and son-in-law's 18 wheelers and heavy logging equipment.

(2) when the tank reaches about 40 gallons, start soaking as much of the firewood that I deliver to him in that tank as it can hold.

(3) remove firewood about every three or four days after the oil is thoroughly soaked in using some sort of retrieving equipment.

(4) transport oil-soaked firewood to barrel stove as normal. Forget all complaints or odor from anyone nearby.

(5) burn firewood in barrel stove and enjoy the extra heat supplied by the waste oil.

When should I advise him to proceed, and how far should I duck when he throws a beer stein at me?

Back