Soaking firewood in old used motor oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about making NASCAR use catalytic converters..... The rednecks will all have a cow...

Consider:

4 stroke string trimmers
4 stroke MX bikes
catalytic converters on street bikes
prototype 4 stroke chainsaw
chainsaws with catalytic converters
string trimmers with catalytic converters

I think you're smart enough to see the trend. Probably smart enough to see the trend is not reversing too. ;)

I ain't the smartest, but I don't think it's not gonna hurt my kids who live downwind of me....

Just saying I think it's a bad idea... let em take it off your hands.. get a small return on your investment of your used oil by (if you live in an area that pays you for waste oil).. and if they don't pay you for it. well I'm not exactly sure how it works, but that crude that comes out of the ground isn't pretty.

(just thinking if they can make good oil out of crude, they probably also refine the waste oil to get some decent oil out of it saving at least a little of the crude.)

bottom line.. It may look clean coming out of the pipe (the waste oil soaked split smoke) but I'd rather stand in a plume of green pine burning slow smoke than the "clean" hot air coming out of the waste oil soaked wood...

GRRR

and I really, really, really, do like the smell of two stroke exhaust in the morning--I just gotta draw the line somewhere :chainsawguy:

So, what this forum is telling me is that I should advise one of my best customers who is also is running a trucking and logging business to do the following:

etc, etc, etc

I haven't seen anywhere in this thread where anyone was telling YOU to do ANYTHING.

Never tried to burn oil in my stove. Ocean water contains arsenic too.:hmm3grin2orange:

I would never even have thought to soak logs in oil. Sounds pretty messy to me. And that oil stains everything it touches. How would you get it in the stove without it dripping all over the floor. At least that slow drip thing makes a little more sense. Can't imagine having a waste oil reservoir in my living room though, lol.

The oil drip stoves are definitaly not for inside your house. Or even a really clean shop for that matter. Seems no matter how hard you try you end up with oil stains on your concrete and just a general mess surrounding the stove. At least the ones I know about are this way.
Not like there are puddles of oil or nothin it's just through the occasional drip, small splash, etc from messing with the barrels that over the years will accumulate into stains that just don't go away. Most farmers and such though don't care about this and just toss some kitty litter on it and go on happily getting rid of their oil and heating their shops.

The oil drip stoves are definitaly not for inside your house. Most farmers and such though don't care about this and just toss some kitty litter on it and go on happily getting rid of their oil and heating their shops.

Exactly

Works great and Costs nothing

Some frugal old farmers do not even 'waste' kitty litter
Sawdust or last sweep job of cement floor dust, or handful of sandy soil works OK too

Only them 'city folk' would even think we are talking about using soaked logs or drip systems for.... in the house.....:dizzy:

JEEEEZ

Yep, no doubt about it, this thread is funny...
  • It's funny that those who have never built, owned, used or even so much as seen a waste oil burner know so much about them...
  • It's funny that some of those same people have Google'd it and presented the resulting opinions and generalizations as credible fact; even the "Ask A (so-called) Scientist" could only muster a "high temperature" opinion but was unable to tell us what that was...
  • It's funny that some of those same people claim the only responsible way to dispose waste oil is to take it to a recycler; yet none of them can tell us positively what happens to it after that (but again, they have a "I think", or "I'm pretty sure" opinion)...
  • It's funny that some of those same people have modified the EPA mufflers on their chainsaw (which can be in direct violation of regulations) and then prop-up the EPA banner and call someone who burns waste oil (which does not violate any regulation) a polluter and environment destroyer...
  • It's funny that some of those same people can tell me about all the smell and smoke associated with burning waste oil; yet it seems they've never been within 500-miles of someone who burns it (or maybe the guy living next door does, and the idiot doesn't even know it... now I'm laughing out loud!)...
  • It's funny that some of those same people actually believe that the new EPA certified wood stoves are built with some newly discovered technology. Do they realize man has been burning wood for heat and cooking long before the simple match-stick was invented? Have they bothered to look at a high quality wood stove made 150 or even 100-years ago? I wonder...
  • It's funny that most of those same people live west of the Divide, east of Detroit or south of the Mason-Dixon (northern Missouri excluded)...

It's so funny I'm LMAO!

...Not like there are puddles of oil or nothin it's just through the occasional drip, small splash, etc from messing with the barrels that over the years will accumulate into stains that just don't go away...

And it's no different than the stains that accumulate on the floor in the stall where you change oil on your all your equipment...

I'm gonn'a quote myself...
It's funny that most of those same people live west of the Divide, east of Detroit or south of the Mason-Dixon (northern Missouri excluded)...
Please don't ask me what I'm inferring with that... 'cause it can't be explained.
But just about anyone living in a rural area between Denver and Detroit, north of St. Louis is gonn'a catch-on real quick.

Its funny that I can show you the welded holes in my shop stove from when my uncle decided an oil drip system was a good idea.

Its funny that I welded them up because I got tired of STINKING my home up with said oil drip.

Its funny that I live in the midwest - out in the country - just like you.

Its funny that there is PROOF that oil contains plenty of crap in it that you are not going to just "burn away"

Its funny that somebody that claims to be so smart is defending (even promoting) the idea that oil soaked logs, don't have a negative impact.

Its funny that somebody can IGNORE all the FACTs and still claim that everybody else is just stupid.

Its funny that you require all the proof in the world of the facts that are pretty well known, but have NO PROOF that your claim is even remotely legit.

Its even funnier that I am still in this thread trying to talk logic into somebody that has no interest in it.

I have had all the laughing that I can handle.

Yep, no doubt about it, this thread is funny...
  • It's funny that those who have never built, owned, used or even so much as seen a waste oil burner know so much about them...
  • It's funny that some of those same people have Google'd it and presented the resulting opinions and generalizations as credible fact; even the "Ask A (so-called) Scientist" could only muster a "high temperature" opinion but was unable to tell us what that was...
  • It's funny that some of those same people claim the only responsible way to dispose waste oil is to take it to a recycler; yet none of them can tell us positively what happens to it after that (but again, they have a "I think", or "I'm pretty sure" opinion)...
  • It's funny that some of those same people have modified the EPA mufflers on their chainsaw (which can be in direct violation of regulations) and then prop-up the EPA banner and call someone who burns waste oil (which does not violate any regulation) a polluter and environment destroyer...
  • It's funny that some of those same people can tell me about all the smell and smoke associated with burning waste oil; yet it seems they've never been within 500-miles of someone who burns it (or maybe the guy living next door does, and the idiot doesn't even know it... now I'm laughing out loud!)...
  • It's funny that some of those same people actually believe that the new EPA certified wood stoves are built with some newly discovered technology. Do they realize man has been burning wood for heat and cooking long before the simple match-stick was invented? Have they bothered to look at a high quality wood stove made 150 or even 100-years ago? I wonder...
  • It's funny that most of those same people live west of the Divide, east of Detroit or south of the Mason-Dixon (northern Missouri excluded)...

It's so funny I'm LMAO!

Some good points. There are very different views on the environment and recycling depending on where you live. A lot of it has to do with where there are problems, but some has to do with the local political atmosphere. Not everywhere east of Detroit is tree hugger land. Around here people still burn their trash (and waste oil) in burn barrels. Most houses have one in the back yard. There is a whole science to drilling holes in it for the best burn, but not putting them too low so the oil drips out, lol. I don't have a burn barrel, and I throw all my trash in the dumpster, and a local guy comes and takes all my waste oil for free. I am sure he is using it to heat something.

Peace.....

Only them 'city folk' would even think we are talking about using soaked logs or drip systems for.... in the house.....:dizzy:

JEEEEZ

It doesn't make people "city folk" just because they don't know the proper way to burn waste oil. Around these RURAL parts, most oil was either burned in trash burn barrels or used to keep the dust down on dirt roads. But anyway, sorry to disappoint you.

Its funny that there is PROOF that oil contains plenty of crap in it that you are not going to just "burn away"
Its funny that somebody that claims to be so smart is defending (even promoting) the idea that oil soaked logs, don't have a negative impact.
Its funny that somebody can IGNORE all the FACTs and still claim that everybody else is just stupid.
Its funny that you require all the proof in the world of the facts that are pretty well known, but have NO PROOF that your claim is even remotely legit.

jags- C’mon... I’m not “ignoring” anything.

At one time it was a KNOWN FACT that the earth was flat; Somebody eventually offered PROOF that that was false.
At one time it was a KNOWN FACT that the earth was the center of the Universe and everything revolved around it; Somebody eventually offered PROOF that that was false.
At one time it was a KNOWN FACT that aspirin was the best medicine for a baby with a fever; Somebody eventually offered PROOF that that was false.
At one time it was a KNOWN FACT that margarine was better for you than butter; Somebody eventually offered PROOF that that was false.
At one time it was a KNOWN FACT that eating eggs more than once a week would kill you; Somebody eventually offered PROOF that that was false.

It is a proven fact that waste oil contains some things that will kill you if you drink enough of it, and continued exposure to the skin has been linked to certain cancers (but as of yet, not proven to be a stand-alone cause). BUT, I have not found anywhere the PROOF to back-up most of the environmental hazard, or non-hazard claims in this thread about burning waste oil (including my claims). Or at least I find no PROOF that it’s any worse (or any better) than burning garbage in a burn barrel, or wood in a wood stove, or a pile of leaves. Until PROOF is presented it doesn’t matter what you, or I believe... neither of us is right or wrong, yet.

Just believing something doesn’t make it so... It’s simply something you believe. And history has shown time, and time again, that when the masses believe something, or government tells the masses what they should believe, it’s usually, eventually proven to be false.

jags- C’mon... I’m not “ignoring” anything.

At one time it was a KNOWN FACT that the earth was flat; Somebody eventually offered PROOF that that was false.
At one time it was a KNOWN FACT that the earth was the center of the Universe and everything revolved around it; Somebody eventually offered PROOF that that was false.
At one time it was a KNOWN FACT that aspirin was the best medicine for a baby with a fever; Somebody eventually offered PROOF that that was false.
At one time it was a KNOWN FACT that margarine was better for you than butter; Somebody eventually offered PROOF that that was false.
At one time it was a KNOWN FACT that eating eggs more than once a week would kill you; Somebody eventually offered PROOF that that was false.

It is a proven fact that waste oil contains some things that will kill you if you drink enough of it, and continued exposure to the skin has been linked to certain cancers (but as of yet, not proven to be a stand-alone cause). BUT, I have not found anywhere the PROOF to back-up most of the environmental hazard, or non-hazard claims in this thread about burning waste oil (including my claims). Or at least I find no PROOF that it’s any worse (or any better) than burning garbage in a burn barrel, or wood in a wood stove, or a pile of leaves. Until PROOF is presented it doesn’t matter what you, or I believe... neither of us is right or wrong, yet.

Just believing something doesn’t make it so... It’s simply something you believe. And history has shown time, and time again, that when the masses believe something, or government tells the masses what they should believe, it’s usually, eventually proven to be false.

and thats why certain people,,love peta,,fund for animals,,alf.etc----

I like how you think Whitespider...for yourself. While intuition tells me that burning waste oil is a worse polluter than burning wood, I honestly don't know what evidence there is out there supporting it. especially on a small scale. I see oil-gas refineries will fires burning 24-7. I see cars burning oil based products 24-7. The list could go on and on. I'm just not sure that the few waste oil burners out there (there can't be that many compared to wood burners) have much of an overall impact.

I agree that complete vrs. incomplete combustion of those fuels can make a difference in the products, but that can be true even with wood. Trees take in nutrients form the soil, is it that much of a stretch to assume that some of those trees have heavy metals, toxins, polluting compounds, etc. in them at least at the molecular level. Where do they go when you burn the wood?

Tried posting a link to EPA article but didn't work.
It states that it is OK to burn used oil in burners up to 500,000 BTU and mixed with diesel in engines as long as the oil was self generated with no adverse environmental effects. As for wood stoves , who knows.
Wish I could copy/paste the link.
PD-eFu file!

Last edited:
Back