Soaking firewood in old used motor oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
interesting i have been running waste oil in my truck for years now in mixes from 50% up to 100% in the summer. i have an older non computerized diesel and it seems to like it. i know allot of people freak out and start spouting about wear but i have saved enough to pay for new fuel system components many times over and i havent needed to yet. i am not going to derail with explanations on everything but it is nice to officially see i am a green vehicle user with my old diesel F350 :D

edit on a side note i have a pyrometer in my truck and i can watch the exhaust temperature average after it exits the combustion chamber and i regularly run in the 600-1000 deg range. more or less depending on load of the engine, now that is after the gasses have been burned and exit the engine.

I have been running the mix in all of my diesel equipment for about 5 years with absolutely NO problems.I instantly gained 20% better fuel mileage in a Cat 3406E along with improved power and performance.I researched the hell out of this before I went ahead with it as a Cat 3406E cost about $20,000 to rebuild. I have noticed poor performance at mixing levels greater than 5% so I try to stay around 3% and even less in colder months.I too have saved a ton of money. I estimate $15,000+ in the last 5 years.

There seams to be a misconception that motor oil is a "nasty magnet" in an engine.It simply is not true.Far more gets blown out the exhaust than ever is contained in oil.Is there not "nasties" already in diesel , gasoline and motor oil right from the refinery. If the wear metals from an engine are so bad then why is my neighbor who has been a mechanic his whole life still alive and wrenching at 72.

As far as mixing used oil and wood goes the smaller amounts the better and the hotter the fire the better. Visible emissions says alot.
If the EPA approves so do I.

Or pressure treated wood, railroad ties, plywood, OSB or green wood.

The "old family farm" back before my time was located between two railroad branches. The section foreman would drop off the old railroad ties. Grandpa would cut them for fence posts, which produced an extra hunk from each thrown on the Sauna fire pile.

According to my uncles, when they'd be using up those creosote-soaked ends, they're be about six feet of flames rolling out of the sauna chimney and the blackest smoke you can imagine. They said it heated it up really fast :)

I wonder if imparted a special flavor to the vegetables they grew for market?

The "old family farm" back before my time was located between two railroad branches. The section foreman would drop off the old railroad ties. Grandpa would cut them for fence posts, which produced an extra hunk from each thrown on the Sauna fire pile.

According to my uncles, when they'd be using up those creosote-soaked ends, they're be about six feet of flames rolling out of the sauna chimney and the blackest smoke you can imagine. They said it heated it up really fast :)

I wonder if imparted a special flavor to the vegetables they grew for market?
what goes up must come down, ithinx

Question?
My Uncle built a drip type oil burner onto his shop wood stove. He would get the whole stove glowing red. He had trouble with the end of the drip tube cloging up with charred oil. What is the reason for this? Was it the design or was he doing something wrong? He just had a piece of quarter inch pipe welded into the stove as a drip tube.

Question?
My Uncle built a drip type oil burner onto his shop wood stove. He would get the whole stove glowing red. He had trouble with the end of the drip tube cloging up with charred oil. What is the reason for this? Was it the design or was he doing something wrong? He just had a piece of quarter inch pipe welded into the stove as a drip tube.
oil is hot enough to vaporize in the hot pipe & leave the solids behind

Back