Solo and Dolmar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morgaj1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is there a relationship between these 2 companies? The reason that I ask it that it seems that some of the Dolmar p/c's fit Solo saws. Is this coincidence or is there a Husky/Jonsered-type relationship here?

Yes many parts interchange, there is a relationship (not sure how involved they are with each other though), but there are also many differences between these saws despite the looks :)

Is there a relationship between these 2 companies? The reason that I ask it that it seems that some of the Dolmar p/c's fit Solo saws. Is this coincidence or is there a Husky/Jonsered-type relationship here?

Good question...Ive always wanted to know the same thing....Ive heard that the big solo's are made by dolmar...but that may just be the Dolmar 9010 and the solo 694...those two are the same....what about the dolmar 7900 vs the solo 681??

Yes many parts interchange, there is a relationship (not sure how involved they are with each other though), but there are also many differences between these saws despite the looks :)

There has been some cooperation, but it is far from the Husky/Jonsered thing.

I've tried to research to find the history on dolmar, i tried to pm a memeber on here that seemed like he would be able to tell me the history, but i have not got a response back yet. I'm curious about also, i didn't even know solo was in the picture? I was wondering about dolmar and makita? and there used to be a sachs-dolmar? maybe there is a post somewhere some one could point me to for my questions? but i'm also trying to gain alittle bit of info sorta on the same subject? ( not trying to take away from the original question, but it's still sorta on the same subject)

I think it's just a design pact, so the smaller companies could pool their R&D efforts to compete with the likes of Stihl and Husqpoulered.

Sort of like when Alfa, Fiat, Lancia (I think Fiat owned Lancia) and Saab wanted a bigger chassis to compete with the Mercedes E class and BMW 5 series in the 1980s. They pooled their design efforts, and we had Alfa 164, Fiat Croma, Lancia Thema, and Saab 9000 on a common chassis with unique sheet metal on top.

There are no Dolmar Chainsaw's made by Solo.

There is one Solo Chainsaw made by Dolmar. Dolmar PS-9010/Solo 694. The only difference is the color & air filter hood.

The Solo 681/675/665 look like the Dolmar PS-7900/7300/6400 but are different saws. There are a few parts that will interchange but only a few.

Solo did manufacturer some string trimmers & hedge trimmers for Dolmar but that did not come to the US/Canada.

Steve

Dolmar and Solo did work together on some projects in the past. But nothing in the last few years.

I just spent over an hour working on a post on the History of Dolmar. I had it all done I went to use the spell checker then I lost it all.:angry:

So, what would be the best possible prices for the Solo 681 and the Dolmar 7900?
I wish it were possible to still get the Makita 7901. Thanks.

Dolmar--Makita Relationship

Dolmar invented the gasoline chainsaw in 1927. Makita bought Dolmar in 1991 but Dolmar still calls the shots. The Dolmar 6400,7300 and 7900 are identical to Makita 6401,7301 and 7901 and use the same part numbers. The Makita 7301 and 7901 are sold in Europe but not in the U.S. Both Dolmar and Makita are made on the same assembly line in Hamburg Germany but the Dolmar is perceived to be the better saw and commands a higher selling price. Bailey's has pressured Makita for access to all their models to no avail because Dolmar doesn't want the competition and is still running the show.

I just spent over an hour working on a post on the History of Dolmar. I had it all done I went to use the spell checker then I lost it all.:angry:

Go to dolmapowerproducts.com for a complete history.

I just had the same conversation saturday with my local Dolmar dealer. I asked what similarities existed between the 681 and 7900, his reply was that little interchanged between the two. He said the original agreement was to benefit Dolmar with Solo's backpack blower and sprayer technology and Solo's was able to use Dolmar chainsaw tooling and designs along with 166's post of Solo's biggest saw being a Dolmar build.

He mentionded that the chassis and cosmetic parts were about all Solo was able to reproduce of Dolmar's saw designs without violating pre existing agreements. Solo engines are their own design.

He also mentioned a 60ish CC Dolmar Strato Saw in the works and having an expected Euro release date of late summer '11. Maybe a US intro of late fall/winter '11?

Latest posts

Back