Solo Chainsaws?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brinkwolf

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok all you German made saw experts(Stihl & Dolmar). How good are the Solo saws compared to the other two German made saws. Let's here about them.

I like my 681, sometimes I feel like it has too much power, but then I put it back in the mill and I wish it had more power ;). Haven't used my 650 enuf to say if i like it, I really wanted a 656, but the 650 was half the price. I'm considering buying a 633, 637, or 694 if I can find a good deal.

Solo saws

I have had a few
solo saws they were all good saws with nice power and reliability. I currently have 2 Solo 651's, one about 5 years old and the other 1 year. they both have nice power for 50cc saws, I actually prefer either to my 5100 dolmar, :jawdrop:not that the Dolmar is a bad saw, I guess i'm used to the solo's, the 5100 is starting to grow on me.:)

I have a Solo 644, not on the US homepage, 45cc&3,5hp. It compares very nicely to my Makita/Dolmar 5100. Of course I notice the difference in power but it is not so much that I couldn't live only with the Solo but I got the the Makita very cheap. Quality wise a great saw!

7sleeper

Solo has a reputation for "optimistic" power specs, but that could of course be history with the latest generation........:givebeer:

I have a couple Solo 637's and very impressed by them. Don't have any real comparison first top handle's I've ever run. Both were craigslist find (65 bucks for the pair). I'd buy another solo.

I have a couple Solo 637's and very impressed by them. Don't have any real comparison first top handle's I've ever run. Both were craigslist find (65 bucks for the pair). I'd buy another solo.

I'm jealous... I'd pay 65 for just one, think you could keep the other and it would have been free!!

Well I'm still looking to buy a bigger saw 70cc+(damn this CAD) and my only draw back to buying one is no dealers anywhere around here. Parts I might be able to find online but warranty work would be tough. Then again what little I would run it as long as it didn't crap out the first few times I used it then it would still look new for awhile. I still haven't buried my new Husky in any wood yet. I have run almost a tank of gas through it just starting it and running it a little once a week. Probably gonna get to cut some in the next few months if I can ever get my father-inlaw motivated enough to do clean up at the farm.

Latest posts

Back