Solo cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That part is important. Last summer I was working on a huge oak tree and it got into mid day while I was still working. I ran out of water, and the heat was getting to me. Not a good time to be trying to explain to the Mrs to take a left at the white farm house, go to the split oak, and over the hill, etc.

hahaha,i live on the first dirt road past the storage warehouse,but on the opposite side of the road. unfortunately im now required to wear a cell phone when left by myself:confused:

I don't really know! I talk to myself all the time.......... And yes, I talk back.:dizzy: He's startin to get on my nerves.... No I'm not...:greenchainsaw:

I almost always cut alone, I have always been scared of someone else dropping a tree on me!

I'm happy to have help when I can get it. As said already, efficiency goes way up with more people. I've even had people with no experience come out with me and I've spent more of my day coaching than cutting, but it's all good.

Most often, though, I find myself out there by myself. I try to avoid the really hairy stuff when I'm alone, but if I waited for help with everything that could conceivably hurt or kill me, I'd be a freaking couch potato, afraid I might get electrocuted changing the channel on the TV.

I guess growing up around farm machinery and cantankerous animals might have given me a little more "living on the edge" life experience than some on here.

"Life Is Dangerous"

PS-don't tell anyone, but I'm headed out to -gasp- MOW THE LAWN- all by MYSELF...talk about asking for trouble!

sorta solo here
usually have someone in the area to keep an eye on me (cut at friends and relative's properties)

I cut alone about 75% of the time. I wear my ppe & keep the cell phone handy as well as making sure someone knows where I'm at. I have a couple of friends that heat with wood, & sometimes we can work as a team which I enjoy. Both of them are experienced, & very safe, so that's really nice.
I'm pretty much in the "you do what needs to be done" camp. A C

I cut kind of by myself. My wife has dementia and can't be left alone so we always go out cutting together. she sits on the Gator or snowmobile while I cut a bit. We have a very slow but steady approach which would drive many people crazy but works for us. We head out with a full fuel and oil tank but don't bring extra with us as we don't stay out long. Usually I'll drop a tree and maybe start limbing, then on our next trip I'll finish limbing and cut it into blocks. Once all the cutting is done we bring the blocks back to our yard for splitting and stacking. Its a little slow but we manage to get 9 or 10 cord a year done.

The camaraderie in the woods is great. It is where men feel like men. We take breaks and just bs about whatever is in our heads. We kid each other about whose saw cuts faster.
:agree2:
I do most of my cutting with my step-son. Luckily we both have every other Saturday off, sometimes his wife joins us to haul brush, etc. We don't cut on top of each other, but close enough to keep an eye on things. Just like Kingsley, if one of us has something hairy to deal with the other comes over to help out or act as lookout, whatever needs to be done to get the job done safely.

I do also occasionally cut "alone", but that is just at home, fairly close to the house, when the wife is home.

I'm happy to have help when I can get it. As said already, efficiency goes way up with more people. I've even had people with no experience come out with me and I've spent more of my day coaching than cutting, but it's all good.

Most often, though, I find myself out there by myself. I try to avoid the really hairy stuff when I'm alone, but if I waited for help with everything that could conceivably hurt or kill me, I'd be a freaking couch potato, afraid I might get electrocuted changing the channel on the TV.

I guess growing up around farm machinery and cantankerous animals might have given me a little more "living on the edge" life experience than some on here.

"Life Is Dangerous"

PS-don't tell anyone, but I'm headed out to -gasp- MOW THE LAWN- all by MYSELF...talk about asking for trouble!

Great post!

I do most of my firewood work alone. I think it's just a matter of being as aware as possible of potential problems. Like most manual labor, things tend to go wrong when one is tired, the equipment is not in great shape, or trying to take a shortcut. When I'm alone, I swear to myself that anytime I am thinking of taking a shortcut, even a small one, I will not.

I also enjoy cutting with buddies. Being in the forest and working on wood is about the best quality time there is. I've become a pain the the neck to some as I insist on protective gear. I won't work with guys who think they are too tough for chaps and a helmet. I tell them I just don't want to get their blood all over my truck when I have to haul them out.

I usually cut alone, I say alone... I always have a hound or two with me.

I sometimes have my grandson with me, he sure is dirty and tired by the time I return him to him mama.

I like going alone, especially in the winter time, snow falling, coffee steaming.

Back