some advice from our fellow americans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belgian

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I came across this forum throuth a google web search, and have been reading a lot of your topics during last weekend. Interesting stuff !!
I am more an occasional firewood logger across the ocean (belgium, battle of the bulge country...), but love the work with a good piece of equipment during my free time.

I owned a stihl 038 AV and a Husky 136, but wanted to buy a new one for replacing my 038 AV. Good saw, but I hated its high compression for it gave me blisters when starting it after not using it for a long time.
Had set my mind on a Husky 357 XP (I love the smooth Husky operation of my smaller 136), but my Stihl dealer convinced me of buying a MS 361, while offering me a very good purchase deal on my 15 year old 038.

Hope I made a good choice. May need some professional input from you folks.

Quite surprised with the good prices you mention all in the forum on professional saws.

Husky 357 XP sells here for 1066,00 USD, a Stihl MS 361 for 1201,00 USD (based on €/USD rate of 1.35), all with standard bars. Maybe should start importing US saws ..

Keep up the good work !

Belgian:
Welcome to the forum. Play around with the search function, read as much as possible about one topic and you will see small bits of information added along the way that fills in the complete picture. Members such as Jokers, Al, Crofter, ...et.al., are very giving of their time and information. Let us know how the 361 works out for you.

Last edited:
I like the 361 and would be surprised if you don`t belgian. I hope it`s an indicator of new saws to come from Stihl.

Welcome to the forum!

Russ

Hey belgian,

I hope the MS361 satisfies you nicely.  I hear you folks have good beer over there.

Glen

yep,

woodworkers seem not to be any different than other americans I met in the past , I guess :

- Belgium is north of France (in between Amsterdam and Paris....), treeswede should know better ...
- Belgians have indeed very good beers, but a lot too heavy for the average woodworker, I'm afraid, and not recommended for use during working time.
- Belgium has too many democrats ...

one americans advice.. get u squirrel gun cleaned up an put some provisons in a traveling sack..the golden days jus mite be over for most of us.. hope im wrong.smile
better take a litesaw..

If you are referring that i am "Tree Swede", then Yes i know better, but it seemed no point in explaining something obvious.

The first post I made I can clarify: I meant that the Americans and Eurepeans don't have the same prices by a longshot. If you were to compare you would find that we spend almost two times the money/year.

Ok Mange,

point taken. How do you explain we europeans pay twice the price for equipment made in Europe ? only strategic marketing ? this is really frustrating ....

fyi, will be making sales calls in Sweden soon. are husky's cheaper up there ?

Speaking of countries (perhaps the retail dealers here could speak to this), how linear is the relationship between the Euro and dollar on a say a weekly basis play into chainsaw pricing? Do they ship a thousand this week and charge according to that week's exchange rate and if so, how does this difference show up in American stores?

... maybe there is something obvious I am not seeing here, but if a Husky saw is twice the price in Europe as here in US, what is keeping Europeans from jumping online and ordering the thing from US outlet like Baileys? Sure shipping across the pond will be expensive, but not hundreds of dollars. I know Stihl dealers can't ship, but Husky will. (will Dolmar ship?) Anyway, is there a catch I don't know about? Just curious.
Dave
_________________-
this too shall pass

woodshop said:
... maybe there is something obvious I am not seeing here, but if a Husky saw is twice the price in Europe as here in US, what is keeping Europeans from jumping online and ordering the thing from US outlet like Baileys? Sure shipping across the pond will be expensive, but not hundreds of dollars. I know Stihl dealers can't ship, but Husky will. (will Dolmar ship?) Anyway, is there a catch I don't know about? Just curious.
Dave
_________________-
this too shall pass

Perhaps there is more than one country north of Sweden, that would be news to me at least.

As for the prices, I know that the saws cost the same to make regardless where they are sold. The prices here is much more due to company polecy,taxes and politics.
All brands are more expensive here.
Guide prices -04:
Husqvarna 357 XPG = 8295Kr= 1185 $US
Husqvarna 346 XPG =6995kr = 999 $US
Jonsered 2156 = 7990kr = 1141$US
Dolmar 115 = 6990kr = 999$US

Now this is only the saw.
Gas:
Regular 95 octane 10,40kr = 1,485$US
Two stroke oil medium qualety/price 90kr/litre =12,85$US
Aspen 14kr/Litre = 2$US

Cylinder/piston HVA 346 = 990kr = 141$US.

There is guidelines here that demand that the logger run Aspen and veg.oils, when logging for some company's.

Tax for services: 25%
Income tax 32%

This is only some of the costs there is.

Sorry about this, sensitive subject.

Latest posts

Back