Some people

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A more appropriate name for this thread should be " My Dirty Laundry." Normally not something to be aired in public. But, I suppose it's generating clicks therefore generating money for the hosts of the site.

Have fun.

It seems to be a fairly hot topic which tells me that a lot of people have had problems with neighbors.:popcorn:

the thing with the cop though..going against the "my property, I should be able to do with it what I want to do" deal that a lot of country people espouse. In fact most rural people I know believe this..until something like that starts to happen, then they change their minds because what the other property owner wants to do isn't to their liking.

I see no clear cut winners here. Which is it, allowed to use your property, or not? See the hypocrisy there?

I am more in favor of being consistent, even if it means the other guy gets to do stuff you might not approve of. I am way more consistent Libertarian/Constituionalist about things. It is not my call to tell other people what they can and can't do, and it is not their call to try that on me either. As long as they aren't committing clear cut obvious crimes, I believe people should be allowed their born with freedoms consistently across the board.

As in all personal rights issues, it should be your right until it begins to infringe on the rights of others. The problem is defining that line.

As in all personal rights issues, it should be your right until it begins to infringe on the rights of others. The problem is defining that line.

It's really not that complex. If your pursuits are limited to your property, that's it.

Nowq, I understand excessive noise, as the person making the noise is not limiting that noise to his property, so there needs to be some guidlelines on that. One must be able to adapt and be willing to compromise due to changing situations.

Or anything else like that, where a person's actions continue on and leave their property borders, burning nasty chemical radioactive waste out in the open for instance, or dumping poisonous slude into a creek which goes on to the next guys property....

It's really not that complex. If your pursuits are limited to your property, that's it.

Nowq, I understand excessive noise, as the person making the noise is not limiting that noise to his property, so there needs to be some guidlelines on that. One must be able to adapt and be willing to compromise due to changing situations.

Or anything else like that, where a person's actions continue on and leave their property borders, burning nasty chemical radioactive waste out in the open for instance, or dumping poisonous slude into a creek which goes on to the next guys property....

Or when the losers, meth freaks and rats begin to spread to your neighbor's property.

...every town has a councilman that can be bought or influenced in a way to make things tough on tradition...

Walt,

Man, you're just not getting "it"... the city council has no jurisdiction, the property is outside any city limits!! It's county business; out here the county is run by the county, the people living out in it. We elect the Board of Supervisors from members living in the county (our neighbors), and supervise is pretty much all they do (well, and count the money). If a new county ordinance (such as a noise ordinance) is gonna' be enacted... we, the people living out of city limits in the county, vote it up or down. This county, my county, basically has only two ordinances, and both have to do with septic systems... one is the regulations pertaining to the installation of new systems, and the other gives the County Board of Health jurisdiction over any complaints of a septic system causing a "public nuisance". Other than that... we don't want, or need, no friggin' rules!!

the thing with the cop though..going against the "my property, I should be able to do with it what I want to do" deal that a lot of country people espouse.
Which is it, allowed to use your property, or not? See the hypocrisy there?

No zogger, I don't see the hypocrisy at all. The man is free to "use" is property any way he sees fit... he can even sell it. What he can't do is drill multiple wells into our watertable, install multiple septic systems draining into our county, and build multiple drives across our roadway ditch without our OK. If wants to build a house for himself, no problem... put up fences, OK... build a barn, fine... set up a shooting range, no issue... buy some horses, all for it. But ya' can't develop it into suburb, add roads and drives, and sell off tiny pieces without our OK... that ain't him "using" his property. Heck, he ain't even a resident of the county!!!

Last edited:
Walt, let give you an example of how it works...
Recently one of the local land owners wanted to sell a small chunk of his property to one of his nephew's, who wanted to build a house on it. Because the chunk of land being sold was less than 10 acres, the County Board sent out letters to any property owner who had property adjoining the land... not just adjoining the land being sold, but any owner of land adjoining the entire farm of several hundred acres (if your land is across the road, it's still considered as adjoining). If any single one of us would have protested the sale it couldn't go through... if the chunk had been 10 acres or more there wouldn't have been any issue. We are zoned rural, not residential... and the 10 acre rule is how it works, it's how rural zoning works, it's how rural land is protected from suburbia. We run the county, not politicians.

I hope it does work out and I hope you guys are right that things are run "by the people"...my perspective is clouded by living in the sewer, nothing gets done here "above board" and those that can't play the game don't get things done...one of the reasons I'm out of the land development game.

I hope it does work out and I hope you guys are right that things are run "by the people"...my perspective is clouded by living in the sewer, nothing gets done here "above board" and those that can't play the game don't get things done...one of the reasons I'm out of the land development game.

It's like Spidey says, the people in the county make the rules and there aren't a lot of them.
That's why we live where we do.
I moved away from the suburbs 20+ years ago and never looked back.

Walt,

Man, you're just not getting "it"... the city council has no jurisdiction, the property is outside any city limits!! It's county business; out here the county is run by the county, the people living out in it. We elect the Board of Supervisors from members living in the county (our neighbors), and supervise is pretty much all they do (well, and count the money). If a new county ordinance (such as a noise ordinance) is gonna' be enacted... we, the people living out of city limits in the county, vote it up or down. This county, my county, basically has only two ordinances, and both have to do with septic systems... one is the regulations pertaining to the installation of new systems, and the other gives the County Board of Health jurisdiction over any complaints of a septic system causing a "public nuisance". Other than that... we don't want, or need, no friggin' rules!!

No zogger, I don't see the hypocrisy at all. The man is free to "use" is property any way he sees fit... he can even sell it. What he can't do is drill multiple wells into our watertable, install multiple septic systems draining into our county, and build multiple drives across our roadway ditch without our OK. If wants to build a house for himself, no problem... put up fences, OK... build a barn, fine... set up a shooting range, no issue... buy some horses, all for it. But ya' can't develop it into suburb, add roads and drives, and sell off tiny pieces without our OK... that ain't him "using" his property. Heck, he ain't even a resident of the county!!!

Nope, disagree, and you are using the typical hypocritical statist POV that your rights trump someone elses because you say so, constitution be damned, might and numbers make right.

Been here long enough I know you will immediately deny it, doesn't change the facts though, your county "rules". Uh huh Your country decides that anyone under 6 foot and doesn't have blue eyes isn't allowed there..just because some yahoos pass some law doesn't make it ethical or constitutional, it happens all the time though, and IMO is what is primarily wrong with this nation, 99% of the people are statists and also in favor of mob rule, might makes right.

When I was a kid, was a city near where we lived had a "law" posted at the city line. Welcome to _____, near there typical moose lodge, kiwanis, elks, etc...and a sign that said NO N------ ALLOWED.

All legal, they voted on it, passed their local law.......

They didn't want "outsiders" coming in....for whatever reasons they came up with at the time, they put "restrictions" and "zoned" that city against someone else's freedom.....

Water rights. you have no problem with a single family going in and farming..swell..I work on a farm, i am a full time farmer, and you ain't, but you live rural..maybe we all should pass laws that to live rural you have to be a full time farmer, otherwise, back to the city! No second homes or camps, infringing on the locals "rights"....zone it pure, cleanse the area of outsiders and their odd ways....

The primary farming done here where I live and work is poultry. Ever even wonder how much water a single broiler house uses, let along a reasonable normal single family run broiler farm, which could easily be 8 houses? Each broiler house would use MORE water than your theoretical 10 acre subdivision....but it's farming so that is OK? 10 acres, one family, and full time farming...You are in the corn belt, how much water gets sucked out of those 'fossil" aquifers to make corn gas for monsanto and those farmers? And where are the borders underground, when it flows like streams? Can one guy suck ALL the water out because he owns thousands of acres there?

Yes, I see the point there for restrictions because the use extends BEYOND the property border. There is no way to limit, outside of gallons/yr/acre, to be determined scientifically somehow, how much a single owner could pull and use without it negatively impacting the neighbors on the other side of some property line.

I am consistent here, I don't pick and choose which to follow or not of our old tenets that where well thought out by some pretty smart guys.

If that guys residential area used the same or less water than a farm there doing "allowed" irrigation, or a typical hog farm that used water plus had to use a manure lagoon, not seeing as how it is anyone else's business, other than statism and "might makes right"..

Now the original OP post, he wasn't doing a single thing to infringe on the new neighbors rights at all, she was out of line. Normal human use of rural acreage can and often does involved equipment noises, some dust sometimes, animal noises perhaps, etc. And given the nature of physics, pretty hard to keep all that inisde a border.

In her city, she had the same thing, road noises all the time, sirens at intermittent times, even late at night, etc. she was out of line. but..her right to move in and live, just not to go nuts on the neighbor, she crossed the line first.

If later on she wants to have a big weekend party, whoopedy zing, people are allowed to have friends over, and if there is "noise" say live music, oh well, humans are social creaters and various GTG type events are well known and understood in our species going way back. Shouldn't be any "zoning" for or against normal human behavior and the freedom to be YOU.

there should never, no exceptions, be any "permit" needed for born with rights.

It's like Spidey says, the people in the county make the rules and there aren't a lot of them.
That's why we live where we do.
I moved away from the suburbs 20+ years ago and never looked back.

You left this tid bit of information out. This changes everything. You see, in fact, you are one of 'them'. This brings this matter under the umbrella of 'domestic situation'. One could not argue that simply being somewhere 'longer' trumps anything.

This seems no different to me than two 'immigrants' bringing their territorial differences to another country, specifically ours. Then picking and choosing which customs to follow in the determining of outcomes.

In summary, most of the information contained herein was proper and accurate, albeit formed and extracted from a tainted portrayal of the facts. So one could learn from this, much the same as watching a girl fall into the lit candles and oil, and deciding to not be a girl.

Tarry on.

:)

Hey Op how much distance is between you and the PMS woman?

We share a property line for about 100yds. From my processing site to her house is 300yds. From her house to mine is around 1/2 mile. She is now my closest neighbor, distance wise.

We share a property line for about 100yds. From my processing site to her house is 300yds. From her house to mine is around 1/2 mile. She is now my closest neighbor, distance wise.

900 feet away and the sawing bothers her? I mean I live in NJ, and there are houses 300 feet away. I would think 300 yards is a decent distance away it cant be that loud at her place. That's not reasonable at all!

Actually I am having trouble figuring out whether getting sideways with a neighbor with a boob job is a good or bad thing.
:msp_confused:

You left this tid bit of information out. This changes everything. You see, in fact, you are one of 'them'. This brings this matter under the umbrella of 'domestic situation'. One could not argue that simply being somewhere 'longer' trumps anything.

This seems no different to me than two 'immigrants' bringing their territorial differences to another country, specifically ours. Then picking and choosing which customs to follow in the determining of outcomes.

In summary, most of the information contained herein was proper and accurate, albeit formed and extracted from a tainted portrayal of the facts. So one could learn from this, much the same as watching a girl fall into the lit candles and oil, and deciding to not be a girl.

Tarry on.

:)
You make a compelling argument.
Unfortunately, I can't quite figure out what it is.

Nope, disagree, and you are using the typical hypocritical statist POV that your rights trump someone elses because you say so, constitution be damned, might and numbers make right.

Been here long enough I know you will immediately deny it, doesn't change the facts though, your county "rules". Uh huh Your country decides that anyone under 6 foot and doesn't have blue eyes isn't allowed there...

zogger, that's ridiculous. The county can't enact an ordinance discriminating against short brown-eyed people any more than we can discriminate against Blacks or Jews... there's something called the Fourteenth Amendment ya' know? I ain't talkin' about my rights trumping anything... heck, I ain't even talkin' about my rights. The simple fact is that New York cop wanted to take his parcel of rural Iowa land and turn it into a residential area... it ain't zoned for residential!!! He can't do that unless the county allows an exception!!! We, the people of the county, allow for exceptions to zoning "rule" or "law" all the time (for example the farmer selling his nephew the less than 10 acre lot I talked about)... we're fair minded people. The simple fact is that New York cop couldn't "develop" his land into suburbia because the land ain't zoned for it, so he had to take it to the board to be considered for exception... and the county elected not to grant this particular exception for a lot of reasons, some of which were environmental impacts. It ain't like we made a new rule just for him... it's just that we elected not to allow the exception of zoning law for this particular purpose. Heck man, some counties don't even have an exception process... but we like to think we're a bit more understanding than that.

C'mon man, this county don't have a public water system or a public waste disposal system. Putting in a residential area means drilling multiple wells right next to multiple septic systems... and it just don't work that way. What about law enforcement, fire, and whatnot... cripes man, most of our first response people are volunteer. I could go on-and-on... but what's the point? You've already decided we're a bunch of selfish pricks anyway.

Last edited:
Back