Some pics of my new Husqvarna 336

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TraditionalTool

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I don't have the carving bar yet, but installed the 16" bar that came with the saw and the .325" chain.

Here's some pics. The shipping box was kinda funky, but it all arrived in one piece and all is as described on the web, that it is new.

Shipping Box, a bit funky:
attachment.php

Contents:
attachment.php

Clutch Assembly:
attachment.php

Air purge, under filter cover:
attachment.php

It runs well, fires up on one pull after warmed, and only takes a couple yanks when cold. I first had the choke on, but it's warm today, after about 4 pulls I pushed the choke in and it fired up on the first pull. Thereafter it only took one pull to start.

A great small light saw, will work well for my needs, and be able to carve as well. This saw weighs less than 8 lbs.

Cheers,
TT

Thanks Rickytree, I'm liking it a lot. Can't wait to get the new chain for it. Need to get some timber to try it out on. I have an old chunk of redwood, that might work to try some simple carving.

EDIT: Rickytree, I see your up in Welland. I know a guy that pulled up some huge timbers from the Welland canal. They were some of the largest timbers I had seen. They had been under water for many years.

Last edited:
They line the inside of the canal with timbers. Usually Oak. I remember standing next to the edge of the canal and a ship was going through and smoke was coming up between the boat and the side because the boat rubbing. Pretty narly!

They line the inside of the canal with timbers. Usually Oak. I remember standing next to the edge of the canal and a ship was going through and smoke was coming up between the boat and the side because the boat rubbing. Pretty narly!
Rickytree,

His were old growth doug fir.

Here's a low res pic, but you can see how massive they are. They were girders in the canal.

RoughTimber.jpg

Cheers,
TT

The 336 and 339 sure will win no beauty contests.

Let us know how you like it with a carving bar. A 339 is on a short list of candidates for my next new saw.

And let me know if your new cannon bar is "shorter" than you expected or not.

Let us know how you like it with a carving bar. A 339 is on a short list of candidates for my next new saw.

Bill,

I will let you know, if the bar ever gets here. As I mentioned in another thread, I have sent email and have tried to call Jamie, but not sure if he is out of town or not. He had been pretty good to respond, and I did call him a couple times previously, so not sure what is up with his phone.

I'll let you know how it works after I get the bar. With the stock 16" bar, using a stock .325 anti-kickback chain, I was doing some simple carving on a hunk of cedar, it cut ok, I cut a crude bear face. I don't think I got a pic of that...it's in my friend's wood pile! ;)

As I posted, I bought a 12 inch Cannon carving bar, quarter tip, recently and was dissappointed that it was only 13.5 inches long over all and only protruded 9 inches out of my 346xp. Too short to suit me.

I tried to contact Cannon before I bought another of their bars, but their site has been down for a week.

I thought well, I'll order a 16 inch bar (quarter tip) and however Cannon is figuring the length (shorter than my other carving bar), it will be 4 inches longer than their 12 inch one with same tip.

Wel, I just received it. It's 19 inches long, 5 1/2 inches longer than their 12 incher. Longer than I expected based on their 12 incher.

What gives?

As I posted, I bought a 12 inch Cannon carving bar, quarter tip, recently and was dissappointed that it was only 13.5 inches long over all and only protruded 9 inches out of my 346xp. Too short to suit me.

I tried to contact Cannon before I bought another of their bars, but their site has been down for a week.

I thought well, I'll order a 16 inch bar (quarter tip) and however Cannon is figuring the length (shorter than my other carving bar), it will be 4 inches longer than their 12 inch one with same tip.

Wel, I just received it. It's 19 inches long, 5 1/2 inches longer than their 12 incher. Longer than I expected based on their 12 incher.

What gives?
Good question, I should get my bar in a day or two, I think it has been shipped. I can't think of a good reason why the length would be so different. That's odd...

Regards,
TT

How did the timbers manage under our fresh water? Well so called fresh!!
They are way cool, the wood is all kinda greenish in color. The water had a cool effect on them. I wish I could get some for flooring, but that probably won't happen...They're doug fir.

Regards,
TT

Ya the green is probably from the seaweed...or lakeweed.. Very cool though.. I would love to build with it but I'm broke..

Bill,

I have my bar and chains, but need to adapt the sprocket to run the 1/4" pitch.

Oddly, I got a loop of 25F (full house) but it appears to have about 30 links of 25AP on it...:-/). I sent an email to Jamie, but his inbox is full...

The 25F has chisels that alternate on each link, opposed to the 25AP which alternates the chisels every other link.

The notes said Jamie took most of the arch out of the bar, but I am not sure what an original bar looks like. I did find that a stock 16" bar is 19 1/8" in length per the Cannon site.

Regards,
TT

Bill,

I have my bar and chains, but need to adapt the sprocket to run the 1/4" pitch.

Oddly, I got a loop of 25F (full house) but it appears to have about 30 links of 25AP on it...:-/). I sent an email to Jamie, but his inbox is full...

The 25F has chisels that alternate on each link, opposed to the 25AP which alternates the chisels every other link.

The notes said Jamie took most of the arch out of the bar, but I am not sure what an original bar looks like. I did find that a stock 16" bar is 19 1/8" in length per the Cannon site.

Regards,
TT

Cannon only put the lengths up there because I complained to them that the 12 inch is 13 3/4 inches and the 14 is 3 1/2 inches longer instead of 2 inches.

Was too hard to predict, so they put the lengths up while we spoke.

I am keeping my eye out for the sugi hara carving bar to be available in the us for a good price within a couple months. It's lighter and better made bar in my opinion (talking carving bars, here).

I am keeping my eye out for the sugi hara carving bar to be available in the us for a good price within a couple months. It's lighter and better made bar in my opinion (talking carving bars, here).
Bill,

I have only been able to find a 12" Sugihara listed on any site that will take 1/4" pitch. (see bottom of page)

Do they make a 16" bar do you know?

Regards,
TT

I've been told that they will be selling a 12,14 and 16 incher within a couple months. I like their carving bars and will wait for them before I buy any more bars.
Are you using the Cannon bar on the 339xp?

How does the clutch come off? I think I need the clutch tool, I'm gonna take it over to one of the local dealers tomorrow.

I have an impact wrench. I think I should post in the <gasp> chainsaw fora.

Regards,
TT

Are you using the Cannon bar on the 339xp?

How does the clutch come off? I think I need the clutch tool, I'm gonna take it over to one of the local dealers tomorrow.

I have an impact wrench. I think I should post in the <gasp> chainsaw fora.

Regards,
TT

I am running a Cannon 14 inch dime tip on the 339xp. There is a nut on the end of the clutch, so no extra tool is required (unlike the 346xp).

Back