Sore Losers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
quit ya whining!

that's standard craigslist... when a deal almost too good to be true pops up.... you and another 50+ buyers are ready to jump all over it!

when a really good deal pops up on craigslist.... you'd better be ready to drop what you are doing and make a bee line with cash in hand.

otherwise... odds are it will not be there the following morning or what ever. every once in awhile you will find someone who's word about holding it is good.... but odds are after fielding another 20+ phone calls of I'll be right down... he'll say OK... come get it.

soooo... if you really want it.... go get it...right then.
odds are against you of it being there the next day. :chainsaw:

I was not going to bring this up, but I'm irritated. So, the other day I was looking at a saw, from craigslist, a 372xp(from the you guys are gonna kill me thread) for $130. What a deal right? Any way, while I was there with the kid looking at the saw and debating, the kid had several calls about the saw. Each call that came in, about 3, was interested in buying the saw, but as soon as the kid told them that there was someone already there looking, each of the callers tone changed from "I hope it's still available and I can get a good deal" to telling the seller that the saw was worth way more than he was asking and that if he sold the saw for $130 that he was being ripped off. The kid advised that he had a couple of the same types of calls the night before when he told the caller that someone was coming to look at the saw in the morning. I honor the kid for holding on to the saw till I could make it there cause I had called early and was next in line.

So what is peoples freakin problem, why do people try and ruin someone else's good furtune, are people jelous, I mean, come on, this is ridiculous, If you were late on the call and someone else beat you to it, good form them, don't bust their bubble.

This topic has come to today due to something similar happening again last night. I'm not sure of the exact situation, but here is what happened.
I called on another craigslist saw, Husqvarna 36" bar, 7 years old, $100. I talked to the guy, he said that he used it around the house, it was in great shape, again 7 years old, the saw came stock with a 36" bar, but the sticker was missing and he did not know what model number it was. I wanted it. I was out with the wife, 6:00pm, at that time and could not drive out that night, I had an hour + drive. We made plans to meet the next morning at 9am. The guy even called me a couple times to let me know he had found a couple chains and a new bar for it, and that I should bring some fresh gas cause the gas in the saw was 3 years old. Great. Very nice guy and from talking to him that few times I was sure he was selling the saw to me. Right. Well I get a call from the guy at 11:00 that night telling me he sold the saw (it was a message cause I was in bed). WOW - Not sure what happened.

Did anyone here buy that saw, just wandering what went down?

Thanks all for listening to me vent!!

One thing I know about contract law, there's no deal without "valuable consideration". In other words, no cash changes hands, there never was a deal. Got my firesuit on...............:givebeer:

Setting up a meeting time at 9am the next morning, me taking a half day off work so I could go meet him, and him leaving me a message at 11pm telling me he sold he saw, that's how so!

A sellers job is to sell, period. First person to show up with the cash gets it.

To many times I have been in your shows and the sellers. From a sellers point, I've had people make plans to show up at x time to buy something...told others it's sold or someone is going to take a look at x time. Only to have that buyer not show up.

I sell to the first person who puts money on the table.

I apply that same attitude when going out to buy something. I lost a hell of a deal this last winter, 4 saws and 4 weed wackers for 300. Had to take my son to the hospital, made plans with the seller to meet at 3pm. Drove most of the 2 hours to his house before I got the phone call that they were sold. I thanked him for the call and went looking for other deals. He did exactly what he should have.

You are correct

Drgnarr you are obviously pretty new to this but your learning quickly.
Your latest lesson is don't put off till tomorrow what can be done today.
Maybe third time lucky.

Yeah, this week has been a lesson learned, you hit the nail on the head.

As others have said. You snooze you loose. I missed a couple of great deals on houses last year (sold the first day on the market and went for half of what they were worth) because I didn't get around to going to go look at them for a couple of days. Missed a few saws as well because I didn't find out about them fast enough.

On the same token I snapped up my log splitter less than 20 min after it was posted on craigslist. Called the guy asked him a couple of questions found out he would be home the rest of the afternoon told him I had the cash in hand and I am going to go outside and hook up the trailer to the truck and will hit the road. Two hour drive one way and it was loaded on my trailer within three hours of it being posted.

Did something similar just this week. Bought a running driving f-250 4x4 with a 7.3 idi diesel four four hundred bucks. It had been on craigslist for less than an hour. Called the guy asked him when I could come look at it. He said he would be home all afternoon. Told him I was on my way grabbed the cash and a half hour later he signed over the title. He had had a few other people call with the I want to buy it but I cant get there till this weekend thing he told them first come first serve. I towed a 8,000 pound trailer with it this morning. Great deal for me because I was johnny on the spot about it.

No deal has been made till the cash changes hands. I have been burned by the I'll come and pick it up such and such day before. Now if you want me to hold it for you I need some cash I will then hold it for you for the agreed time but it wont be a long time. If you don't come and pick it up you aint getting the cash back either and like I told a kid who wants to buy my sled I dont take payments Nothing will leave my property till its payed in full and I am not going to sit on it for six months waiting for you to come up with the cash.

You win some you loose some. Keep watching craigslist. Good deals do pop up but you have to be willing to drop everything and head over with cash in hand at the sellers convenience and be the first one to do so. I miss five or ten great deals for everyone that I get but I keep going after them because when I do get them it makes it worth it.

You bought a shed from lowes, already loaded with OPE?

Brian,

I'm not that far gone. :dizzy:

I've got the LightSaber NE346XP from TS. :clap:

Just bought a never fueled 390XP with a 32" bar. Think I'll do the Fort Jones Shuffle with it. :)

What's new with you?

ole joat

Brian,

Just bought a never fueled 390XP with a 32" bar. Think I'll do the Fort Jones Shuffle with it. :)

What's new with you?

ole joat

isnt fort jones where treeslinger is??? ohhh i get it:monkey:

Brian,

What's new with you?

ole joat

Yeah, I know the Dr. would not go that low. A ported 390 sounds sweet.

Nothing much going on here, no new saws anyway.:D I'll be starting a new job on the 31st.:clap:

Yeah, I know the Dr. would not go that low. A ported 390 sounds sweet.

Nothing much going on here, no new saws anyway.:D I'll be starting a new job on the 31st.:clap:

Brian,

I had a ported 390XP that Dean of WHS did. Never ran quite right. Found out later the gap wasn't quite right.

Tell us about the new job.

ole joat

Brian,

I had a ported 390XP that Dean of WHS did. Never ran quite right. Found out later the gap wasn't quite right.

Tell us about the new job.

ole joat

It's not so much the new job, I'm excited to be leaving the shop.:clap: The shop has had 2 owners that ran it into the ground from poor management, the past and current managers were/are DAs. You can only push a man so far, then he cracks. I'm not going to crack any heads, probably could not afford the lawyers to keep me out of jail. It's better for me just to leave and rid my life of that drama. Bussiness was/is slow anyway, I could make more $$ at wally world.

The new job is working with the military, to help them train in warfare. We act like the bad guys and have a big shoot out with blanks, we play dead and do it all over again in another location. Some classes will be shooting semunition, high speed 9mm paintballs. I've done this for 3 months, volunteer. I'm lucky to know a few of "the guys" already and landed this job. The pay is great and I only work 14 days out of the month. The winter is coming and I've never had enough time off to hunt a lot. After my 14 days I will be in the tree stand, loving it!:love1:

It's not so much the new job, I'm excited to be leaving the shop.:clap: The shop has had 2 owners that ran it into the ground from poor management, the past and current managers were/are DAs. You can only push a man so far, then he cracks. I'm not going to crack any heads, probably could not afford the lawyers to keep me out of jail. It's better for me just to leave and rid my life of that drama. Bussiness was/is slow anyway, I could make more $$ at wally world.

The new job is working with the military, to help them train in warfare. We act like the bad guys and have a big shoot out with blanks, we play dead and do it all over again in another location. Some classes will be shooting semunition, high speed 9mm paintballs. I've done this for 3 months, volunteer. I'm lucky to know a few of "the guys" already and landed this job. The pay is great and I only work 14 days out of the month. The winter is coming and I've never had enough time off to hunt a lot. After my 14 days I will be in the tree stand, loving it!:love1:

Brian,

Sounds great. Cool beans as the Hallster would say.

Just make sure they're really shootin' blanks,

ole joat

Back