Sort of a compliment to "Wish List", Your Favorite saw to run is?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
An addition to "Wish List", The saw you ACTUALLY run is?

So we have the wish list....and many here are well along the way to excess in the saw department. What I'm curious about is when you have all those option's...I want to know which saw ACTUALLY ends up in your hands..not a wish list..

1) Which saw gets the call when you have to get real work done! (why?)

2) Which saw gets the call when the work is...also low key are there are other saw nuts around? (Why?)

For me the answers are as follows.
1) For me its changed from my trusty little 455 to the 365/372 Hybrid built at Spike60's GTG last summer.

Why?
Its the "go to" saw now. Just the right combination of weight, feel with the "low top" 365 plastic, lack of vibration, and capability. Just a nice saw that takes some sting out of a hard work day. And, last but not least; it starts real easy hot or cold. (The one on the left, the one of the rt is a pure 365)

177750d1301316161-365s1-jpg

2) When CAD gets involved its one of two saws, a slightly modded Jonsered 920 (Absolutely a sleeper!) OR my 61/272XP Hybrid (a bit of a sleeper).

Why?
The 61/272 because it's unique and the same combination of qualities as I listed for the 365/371 Hybrid. The 920 because it has just explosive power and way out performs any ones expectation of an old saw of that size. Not certain how all the variables fell together, but this ones a powerful old monster and lots of fun to just rip thru hard wood with. (And its beginning to give motomedic a nervous twitch :) All in fun guys!)

177751d1301316171-920-vsbeech-jpg

177754d1301317022-61ph-jpg

Last edited:
If i had the choice of any saw in the world. It would have to be a 3120 with a 24" bar :msp_w00t: not much of a husky man but that saw would GET IT!

Love the sound of the 394 buried with anything from a 20-42" bar on it. 36" on the main one and a 32" on the one being put together now.

But the 371/372 gets the most use. Why? Well cause its awesome :) 70ccs with a 24" bar is perfect for bout anything around here.

But a piped 084 puts a grin on my face everytime

Love the sound of the 394 buried with anything from a 20-42" bar on it. 36" on the main one and a 32" on the one being put together now.

But the 371/372 gets the most use. Why? Well cause its awesome :) 70ccs with a 24" bar is perfect for bout anything around here.

But a piped 084 puts a grin on my face everytime

Video required of the items marked in RED!

please

Video required of the items marked in RED!
please
Oh nothing special :) A little bit quicker in a cant with the race chain though.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2a_ajKC3KxA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
DN084 on pump gas

The 2171 is what pays the bills for me, but lately I've been using one of the little Jreds we got at work. A nifty little 2145, of all things. It simply loves to kill small softwoods, and for a non-pro saw it sure holds up well to full-time professional usage.

Here's the pair of them for earlier this winter:

dsc00324wv.jpg

And Weime, that 61/272 hybrid of yours is so unbelievably cool!

i really like using one of my husky 350's. its light and has enough power for most of the things i do. but this may change with the completion of my 372xp i rebuilt from one that i bought blown up. played with the 372 yesterday, its running good needs tuned up, and i MM it this morning.

My go to, got to work right now saw is my Husky 272XP. Never ever falter.

If I had my preference it would be to run my Stihl 050AV, milling a Pinyon log with my father again. I learned more in those logging trips than I even thought possible. About saws, milling, and life.

I like this thread...

Ok for me would be my modded 440 with a 24 inch bar....makes me smile thinking about it

The 026 I built, I have the most work in that saw than any other...I think it will be better when I get a different carb on it.

I think the 101 will be too when I get a bar and chain on it.

Yes, slightly sounds about right doesn't it?...The scary thing is if you use a certain 385 as a reference saw to compare with, that 920 may run about the same as that obnoxious 2094 giving credence to your confidence in your 930....:)

Well, the way you cut that 920 cylinder, it pretty much is a 930 now. That certain 385 just keeps picking fights with more capable saws. :msp_wink:

I've been thinking about how to answer the original question. Problem is, I just have far too many saws for any of them to be primary work saws. (A situation that you are fast approaching yourself.) So, the list is ever changing.

I like the that obnoxious 2094 :) its a mean hateful ole bastard in the wood...:) Nothin quite like it.............

Right now I like the feel of old metal in my hands so the PM 55 goes out first, the 064 is a great stumper and the homies are good limbers. Once I get older I may change my mind but at 62 I've got time to think about things.:hmm3grin2orange:

For real work, my 372 is the all-around champ. It's the go-to whether anyone's paying attention or not and the 288 is a very close #2.

In CAD mode, but still doing some "work", right now the Super 250 is "it."

Pure play, I reach for the SEVENs... It'll get worse when the 101b is done.

Latest posts

Back