spark plug cleaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanManofStihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was wondering where you could get a air powered spark plug cleaner. I saw my first one today and it worked great I had never seen one before you hook it to a air compresser and it sand blasts the plug then ou can switch it to just air to clean it off. It worked so well this plug was old and nasty after about 20 seconds then 10 seconds of air it looked like new. It was a little hand held deal small with a little bag of sand. THanks

Thanks Medcave the was exactly what i was looking for. I would just change the plug but I have some plugs that cost more then $1.50. The ones for my dirtbike are $4.38 a piece and it fouls them out like it aint no joke. I would rather buy this and just clean them off and go back to what I was doing.

DanManofStihl said:
Thanks Medcave the was exactly what i was looking for. I would just change the plug but I have some plugs that cost more then $1.50. The ones for my dirtbike are $4.38 a piece and it fouls them out like it aint no joke. I would rather buy this and just clean them off and go back to what I was doing.
If you are fouling plugs, there is something wrong with your engine. Throw the plug away. Try going up one heat range if everything is in order.

Its on a 1987 kawasaki dirt bike not on a chainsaw I don't have fouled plugs on the saws or blowers just the bike. Every 2 stroke bike I have ever run has always fouled plugs.

Keep in mind that you can only get so many uses out of a plug that way. When you blast the grunge off you also take off some metal. Get carried away and you can take off quite a bit.

I don't know how many uses you can count on, but I'd suspect it's not more than 3 or 4. Do the math and see if the cleaner makes sense.

for a quick cleaning providing the plug is not in really bad shape, use a good pencil eraser...it does a nice cleaning job with no damage to the metal.

No way would I risk getting blasting grit in my engine, even if the plug costs $5. If you go to an auto parts store instead of a bike shop, you can get the same plug WAY cheaper. In a pinch, I'll use a propane torch to burn the grunge off a plug, and a small screwdriver or rat tail file to chip the hard stuff off. 90% success rate, sometimes the ceramic insulator cracks.

DanManofStihl said:
Its on a 1987 kawasaki dirt bike not on a chainsaw I don't have fouled plugs on the saws or blowers just the bike. Every 2 stroke bike I have ever run has always fouled plugs.
A KX, KDX? I had a 1990 KX500, bought it brand new. Awesome machine but I had to jump off the roof to start it (I weight about 145) ha ha.

2Coilinveins said:
No way would I risk getting blasting grit in my engine, even if the plug costs $5. If you go to an auto parts store instead of a bike shop, you can get the same plug WAY cheaper. In a pinch, I'll use a propane torch to burn the grunge off a plug, and a small screwdriver or rat tail file to chip the hard stuff off. 90% success rate, sometimes the ceramic insulator cracks.
You are a wise man. Cheers.

I would just change the plug like mentioned by numerous members above. I run modified 660's and change mine about every month. I run Bosch No.5's. In my hotrodded saws they have a better firing time keeping my saw extremely responsive and my saw runs cooler. Don't know the science behind it, but it works.

The bike is a kx 125 I got it used and it fouls out plugs. I go to advance auto and the plugs are $4.38 and they don't have them at auto zone and they 4.89 at napa so it really would pay for its self if I could just clean them once then change them. Thanks

If you are not sure how to change the jet in the carb I would get someone to do it for you. The jets are cheap and it only takes a few min. to change them. It may take a few times and a little rideing to get the rite one but you'll be much happier rideing then changeing plugs. I have a 94 CR500 I ride with quad guys and I don't have plug problems.

I have used a bead(glass) blaster on my car plugs, truck plugs, mower, snowblower, relatives mowers, chainsaws,log splitter and boat motors for over 20 years. I like the idea of having a clean spare plug on hand.Then swap them out as needed. I even used a 12v. cleaner that plugged into a vehicle cigarette lighter. But it takes about a minute per plug.

DanManofStihl said:
The bike is a kx 125 I got it used and it fouls out plugs. I go to advance auto and the plugs are $4.38 and they don't have them at auto zone and they 4.89 at napa so it really would pay for its self if I could just clean them once then change them. Thanks

Dan, Are you using these?

http://www.ngk.com/results_appOther.asp?otherMotiveID=30413&mfid=1

The main jet on the carb on that bike is accessed from the bottom of the fuel bowl. You don't even have to take the carb out to change it. If you need more info on how to do it PM me.

Gary

Latest posts

Back