Spark plug in 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toby

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
If I replace a 6 dollar Bosch plug with a 2 dollar Champion, am I doing something to jeopardize the saw? It doesn't seem to have any less power.
Auto parts store selling Champions is much closer then the nearest place I can buy a Bosch. Just wondering! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If I replace a 6 dollar Bosch plug with a 2 dollar Champion, am I doing something to jeopardize the saw? It doesn't seem to have any less power.
Auto parts store selling Champions is much closer then the nearest place I can buy a Bosch. Just wondering! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

How often are you changing the plug? I don't find a need to change mine much at all (if using quality plugs), so distance to get a new one every 2-3 years doesn't matter to me.

I have had issues with the poor thread quality (roughness and plating) of Champion plugs causing damage to the threads in an aluminum cylinder head. Another-words, when removing a Champion Spark plug, there will be a better than average chance the threads in the head will come out with it. :mad:

Last edited:
I have had issues with the poor thread quality (roughness and plating) of Champion plugs causing damage to the threads in an aluminum cylinder head. Another-words, when removing a Champion Spark plug, there will be a better than average chance the threads in the head will come out with it. :mad:
Man,That would make ya mad. I have never liked champion.

Baileys has them cheap

Baileys has the plugs cheap $1.75 and if you throw in a few more things
you won't even notice the shipping they have a better price than I can get locally as well... The dealer where I bought my saw gave me what they said was a direct replacement for the WSR6F well the spark gap was totally different and since I had other trouble with them that was the straw the broke the camels back and I moved on..

I don't know if it will tear up your saw or if you will even notice power wise but you spent the dough on the good saw I'd use a good plug..

:dizzy: :dizzy:

$6 bones here too

That is what the dealers try to get for them around here too
6 dollars they are very proud of them that is for sure

$6?? ... even if they buy them from stihl they are way over MSRP..

Damn, that's 2 cents per hour if they get thrown at 300 hours.

btw... Cost is way less than a $1.. in 100's... buy a lifetime supply to get your prices down ;)

Last edited:
My McCullochs all have Champions in them... No problems. My Stihls all have $1.75 Boschs from Baileys.

yea i am in the process of putting bosch plugs on my store and have ngk as well as champion briggs engines use champion all the time i have only seen 1 engine come in in the 20 plus years i been in this ope business that has had stripped out threads due to the plug

i guess it just says you do get a lemon in some things but does not mean all them are lemons

calvin

oh speaking of spark plugs i sometimes ship a customer a free plug if i feel like doing so

calvin

Copper colored never-sieze on plugs going into any aluminum head (I use it on steel/iron heads too).

Hmmm....what about the Battan death march?

but ngk had nothing to do with it, bosch did make the gas ovens for the nazis.

its funny you bring up bataan. while that was a discusting act, we treated japanese POW's just as poorly. history is always written by the winner so it will never be a popluar screening on discovery...

but ngk had nothing to do with it, bosch did make the gas ovens for the nazis.

its funny you bring up bataan. while that was a discusting act, we treated japanese POW's just as poorly. history is always written by the winner so it will never be a popluar screening on discovery...

Isnt NGK Japanese? What have they done?

Latest posts

Back