Sparkplugs Brands?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bigbob

Bigbob

ArboristSite Member
What are your thoughts about sparkplugs.

Is everybody using Bosch? Or have you discovered a better brand or type?

I remember reading that one user likes the splitfire.

Does it really matter?

Bigbob

taplinhill

taplinhill

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I like Champion because I can remember the numbers. They get hotter as the number goes up. NGK is just the opposite, but I never can remember that when I need to. I have never used Bosch, so I don't know. Splitfire, well let's just say I am WAY TOO CHEAP to buy them!

As for performance, I have never seen much difference in any plug. Except for when you take out a nasty one and put in a clean one.

oldsaw

oldsaw

"Been There, Milled That"
I like using Bosch and NGK, but have to work too hard to find them. I end up using a lot of Champions because you don't have to look for them, and the numbering system thing...grew up with it, is an advantage.

Mark

rreidnauer

rreidnauer

ArboristSite Operative
Splitfire was charged by the Federal Trade Commission for making false claims of performance and fuel economy. 'nother words, they're just snakeoil. I suspect anyone who says they perform better is just someone not wanting to admit they paid way too much for a plug.

Anyhow, NGK when I can get them, Champion the rest of the time.

RED-85-Z51

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
I like Champion in everything, Ive never been satisfied with NGK, Ive found that they short to ground too easily.

Ive got a mess of big 4 stroke plugs labled "411" not sure of the brand but Ive got a butt load of em.

I know FORDS always seem to like Autolite plugs, Chevy's seem to like Delco's, not sure why.

Why isnt anyone mentioning Nippodenso?

Austin1

Austin1

Addicted to ArboristSite
I like Champion in everything, Ive never been satisfied with NGK, Ive found that they short to ground too easily.

Ive got a mess of big 4 stroke plugs labled "411" not sure of the brand but Ive got a butt load of em.

I know FORDS always seem to like Autolite plugs, Chevy's seem to like Delco's, not sure why.

Why isnt anyone mentioning Nippodenso?
+2Thats what I find and Champion in a dodge!

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
I dont know if there was any truth to it but I was once told splitfire were champion plugs. I tried a couple in an old KX125 dirt bike but liked the standard NGK BR8ES's better. The splitfires worked great right out of the box but after a few days riding the bike wouldn't start as easy and the throttle response didn't feel as crisp. NGK's would last at least as long as a top end which on that bike was only about 6mos.

Austin1

Austin1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Could it be because Autolite is a division of Ford and Delco was owned by GM?
Thats why use them owning all three I found it works best for me although I do use Bosch plugs in my 502 big block Chevy. For my saws I do not use them enough to make any diff and swap out the plug every year for a fresh one. So for me my Ford sees Autolight my Chevy's see Ac and Bosch and my Power wagon see's Champion. But to be honest I really don't think it would make any difference it is all in my mind:confused:

Fish

Tree Freak
@ 2000-2001 We had a rash of bad Bosch plugs from Stihl, I think they
were from Pakistan. Switched to Champion, and never looked back, never
had a customer with a plug fouling problem after that.
Champions are the most common, kind of a standard, base to work from.

Had some problems with NGK last winter, several duds out of the box.

Bigbob

Bigbob

ArboristSite Member
No Consensus

Wow, so there is really no consensus, accept that you all prefer either Bosch, NGK or Champion. Actually, I dont think I read a reply that said they had problems with Champion.

Thanks for all your input.

Robert (Bigbob)

Fish

Tree Freak
Not really, you will an occaisional fellow that says that they are junk, but
that is because his grand-dad told him so. They are reliable, cheap, and pretty much the standard. Now these "high performance" types will likely
have a problem, but hey...............................................

shawn.m

shawn.m

ArboristSite Operative
Bosch in car, van
champion in truck
NGK in the golf carts and ATV's
Champion as standard in the saws, I do like the E3 plugs also.

I hear a little different tone to the exhaust on the rancher and 257 after putting in a E3. I have a E3 to put in the 372 one of these days.

oldsaw

oldsaw

Not really, you will an occaisional fellow that says that they are junk, but
that is because his grand-dad told him so. They are reliable, cheap, and pretty much the standard. Now these "high performance" types will likely
have a problem, but hey...............................................

I agree. I've never had a problem with a Champion and have no problems using them. In the car, Bosches seem to last longer, but that doesn't matter in a small engine application for me since I'll change the plug long before it's worn out.

Mark

oldsaw

oldsaw

NGK...For my race bikes and chainsaws,I've never had any plug related problems,however I change my plugs long before they wear out.

That's the problem, or "not the problem" that I was talking about. I drive 50K per year in my car, so plug life is more critical there. My saws see embarrassingly little use, so the plugs are replaced well before their service life. I haven't had any plug issues for years, with any brand.

Mark