SPEECO 35 ton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ents

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've got a 35 ton splitter from TSC (made by SPEECO). I've read that there is a problem with the valve in that it does not stay in the auto return position, keeps poping out. This requires the operator to hold the valve in the return position. I've got the "energy" valve on this unit which was suppose to fix this. Is there anything elese that can be done?

Thanks,

Speaking of the 35 ton splitter, I noticed it's not listed on TSC's website?

yes, they had been $1599 for a couple weeks and went back to $1799 just recently, so they may very well be out of stock.

From this website:
http://www.energymfg.com/online-catalog/log-splitter-valve-accessories.html

Comes this statement:
Pre-set kickout pressure of 750 psig to 2,000 psig (52 bar to 138 bar)

Which makes me believe that the valve has an adjustable kickout pressure. That being the case, maybe the 750 psi kickout pressure is being met too soon. I would adjust it to a higher value (say 1000 psi) and see what happens.

EDIT: uh oh - reading further the operating instructions state this:
4. Since the kick-out operates from hydraulic pressure, the valve may not kick out when the oil is cold.
The kick-out pressure is not adjustable. Do not remove the spring cover (item 9) and attempt to adjust

Hmmm....they kinda contradict each other.

Last edited:
Talked to SPEECO this a.m. According to them, the change to the ENERGY valve was due to the valve not kicking out once it sensed pressure (end of ram return stroke). In my case, different problem, kicks out prematurely. Their suggestion was engine rpm too low (it's running as fast as it is suppose to), low hydro fluid (it's topped off), worn detent ball bearing (it's only 8 months old, no more than 10 cord split), clogged hydro line (new lines, new machine, little use ????????????). I'm gonna clean out the detent and put fresh grease in it. Change out the filter (those things are $$$$$ if you can find one). If it's still doing it I'll take it to SPEECO recomended service shop (about 15 min. from me (NOT TSC)).

This problem is there whether hydro fluid is cold or hot.

We shall see.

Later,

yes, they had been $1599 for a couple weeks and went back to $1799 just recently, so they may very well be out of stock.

They are actually transitioning to a new model. Same $1799 price point. As they sell out of the old unit, they will switch them out online I would assume.

New model has a new "stepped" tongue with handle, a spring-loaded beam release, solid steel foot piece replacing the cast one, and the engine has moved to the opposite side of the beam, away from the operator.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back