Speed Pro Advice needed. Seriously......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluegrassboy

Reaction score
Just picked up a Speedpro Splitter cheap. . I want to modify it and I'm looking for some ideas. Any ideas on a supplier for a new bronze wear plate ? I don't think that Speedco will supply them anymore, but i might be wrong. I'm not impressed with the sloppiness on the ram/beam mating surface side to side. The tolerances need to be tighter if the rack and pinion are going to mate correctly. I do have some ideas since I am a tool repair mechanic by trade. I've already installed the Dr. Splitter clutch assy. (1.5 '' vs 3.5'' clutch that originally came with it) this slows down the flywheels closer to 300 rpm vs 450 rpm that destroys the rack. I plan to use the larger clutch if I want to convert it to electric later by using a 1750 rpm 1 hp electric motor to keep the flywheels to 300 rpm + or -. This seems to be the secret that super split keeps to. Lower rpm to decrease torque damage to the rack assy. This unit has the new improved rack assy. plus I do have 2 brand new retro fit kits if the rack fails. I've looked at the Dr. website and was impressed with the tolerance that is withheld side to side on the beam due to the design. I don't have any idea how super split achieves this but would love to see some pictures if someone could supply them.
I do know that a few of our members love the Speedpro's because of the simplicity and the price that they paid for them. I can machine just about anything so I'm looking for ideas on how you keep these Speedpros going. Any help and Pics would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Bluegrassboy

Latest posts

Back