Spencer tape question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I'm not too hep on throwing away a chain just because it shows a little wear. lol
When they get down that low I put them in my scratcher pile for cutting fire wood or cutting down trees around houses/farms. Seems like there's always been some kid that loves grandpas hammer and nails and strives to be a carpenter someday. Seems like I've hit everything from arrowheads to files to bullets in trees.
Back to the tapes, seems like the most sought after log length for the mills is 40'. I generally take the tape and cut it off at 45', wind it up to the 44' mark until you can't wind it up anymore and it's all you need to get that thing back like a snake. Also, that black tape end never breaks and the way the nail is set on the hog ring you never have to fight to get the nail under your glove. It always comes back and hangs there just right for you to get hold of it and plug in to the log. It's all of these little things that make for a more productive and less frustrating day. There's nothing that ticks off the good humor man more than waiting for a tape to come in.

Oh my. That is a story. We were marking timber in a rattlesnake infested area on a hot day. We seldom saw any snakes--I think we were too noisy. One day, we heard a scream and our boss, who was terrified of snakes was running full tilt towards us yelling about being bit by King Zipper. He was panicky. Then, we got him stopped and he was looking for the fang marks, and figured out it had been his tape. We laughed so hard we could hardly keep working.

That reminds me of what happened to my wife about 15 years ago. I was piling brush and knocked my pager off my belt so I asked her to carry it. She stuck it in here pocket and decided to help me. A couple minutes later she started screaming and pulling her pants down and called for me to help her because there was a bee in there somewhere. I couldn't find it and I didn't see any bees flying so we went back to work. All of a sudden she screamed that the bee was in her pocket. I had forgotten that the pager was on vibrate. I laughed too loud and too long. She sat in the truck with the doors locked the rest of the day.

That reminds me of what happened to my wife about 15 years ago. I was piling brush and knocked my pager off my belt so I asked her to carry it. She stuck it in here pocket and decided to help me. A couple minutes later she started screaming and pulling her pants down and called for me to help her because there was a bee in there somewhere. I couldn't find it and I didn't see any bees flying so we went back to work. All of a sudden she screamed that the bee was in her pocket. I had forgotten that the pager was on vibrate. I laughed too loud and too long. She sat in the truck with the doors locked the rest of the day.
Now that just plain makes me laugh!

Back