Spider leg slings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sure! whatever makes you feel better about yourself homo!

whats the matter, your torn labia bothering you? still got the perc poop issue giving you problems? you the supposed professional owner of a tree company asking a basic question. very basic. crane rigging and manual rigging looks and acts the same you complete stiff. this thread does belong in the 101 just like your skill level apparently.

seriously. if you have no talent then sure check out spider slings and feel like wasting big money on a crane rental take all the time you want and actually not make any real money by only being able to do one job or one tree in a day.

go right ahead and take all the time in the world! there is nothing productive about running up and down a 2k lb limb tying 3 or 4 knots and then going back to your cut spot and dycking around retying your self in twice and then having to watch you spike in and out until you comfortable and then you reach around yourself to grab your saw and then watching you heave the saw up over your shoulders and start to cut around eye level and dust gets in your eyes and then you spike all around the place to get better saw placement and then you reposition again post cut to put yourself in a "safe place" before release and then you sitting up there rubbing your shoulders in tiredness while your dumbdumb groundies can't figure out how to untie the knots or the crane can't set it down cause the LZ is actually not set up for how the piece can only come down and now your knees are getting sore cause you still up there with your thumb in your bum and what do you know its now 1030 and only 2 picks in......

yup. do it with spider slings! yay! learn how to read the tree and send it out on 1 or 2 slings or continue on sucking at crane work.

anyway today we took out 2 silver maples, one massive one ok and the bign was over the house and pushing against all the house wirage... a rookie climber and me on the mic. all 1 and 2 sling pic and yes i looked and saw maybe 3 and 4 places for spiderslings on almost ever brush pick.... 2 slings thanks. i left that job at 145 and went onto the next gig which was no joke either...

the point? the only thing stopping you from making any money is the tree you working on. you gotta be able to do more in a day. gotta. not my fault you don't understand....

and the last thing to enter my ass was my fingertip when i aggressively wiped with generic toilet paper so you can "I have a potty mouth", joe dirt.

Spider slings are for more than just crane jobs.... sometimes they are the best and most efficient way to rig out a limb when it has to go down, not up.

whats the matter, your torn labia bothering you? still got the perc poop issue giving you problems? you the supposed professional owner of a tree company asking a basic question. very basic. crane rigging and manual rigging looks and acts the same you complete stiff. this thread does belong in the 101 just like your skill level apparently.

no it doesn't..... with crane rigging you have the advantage of the piece going up, also you can center the rigging point wherever you want. What about when your rigging point is on the other side of the tree, you've got a 2k limb that is a foot and a half off the house? No crane access.... what now?...... oh yeah a balancer... and probably some other ropes

I posted this in 101 too

I'm making some spider leg slings for limb balancing out of 3/8 tenex. What are some good length to make these?

I use mostly a 15 footer. It is better to go long that short for obvious reasons. If I need it once I like to just keep the 15 footer on the rope for the whole job, doesn't get in the way much and it comes in handy. No reason to be fooling around with a few different length slings IMO.

no it doesn't..... with crane rigging you have the advantage of the piece going up, also you can center the rigging point wherever you want. What about when your rigging point is on the other side of the tree, you've got a 2k limb that is a foot and a half off the house? No crane access.... what now?...... oh yeah a balancer... and probably some other ropes

I saw this coming the moment it was posted.OD got tunnel vision on rigging, for the most part its always balance point single tip for him. Which you gotta admire, its fast. To some degree he is right, alot of guys are overdoing very simple aspects of removals, due to lack of experience and confidence. What he overlooks is most guys don't do 50hrs of tree work in a week, year round. If you don't have a crew of 4 or 5 a fleet of trucks and slew of removals every day you can find the time to take the steps for the sake of safety and security. When you are hired on the basis of production you look at tree work entirely different, I know.
Personally, I have tried the spider legs, I go for balnce point as much as possible. If not ill run a websling and biner on the tip brush out the end and then balance point. The spider leg does add alot of time and often leaves you with a big piece, when im usually in small areas.

Crane Sling Combo by SherrillTree : SherrillTree Tree Care Equipment
Crane Spider leg

Sry to jack the thread

2 slings is great but the spider legs would be nice our crane isnt huge so we get awkward pieces often.
Dirty what slings are you guys using round polys or flat nylons?

Edit:we own our crane and use it alot so couple hundred bucks on that thing wouldnt be so bad whats a set of straps cost?

I saw this coming the moment it was posted.OD got tunnel vision on rigging, for the most part its always balance point single tip for him. Which you gotta admire, its fast. To some degree he is right, alot of guys are overdoing very simple aspects of removals, due to lack of experience and confidence. What he overlooks is most guys don't do 50hrs of tree work in a week, year round. If you don't have a crew of 4 or 5 a fleet of trucks and slew of removals every day you can find the time to take the steps for the sake of safety and security. When you are hired on the basis of production you look at tree work entirely different, I know.
Personally, I have tried the spider legs, I go for balnce point as much as possible. If not ill run a websling and biner on the tip brush out the end and then balance point. The spider leg does add alot of time and often leaves you with a big piece, when im usually in small areas.

I am all about production. I like to use spider legs to put a big piece in a small spot. It is often way faster to spend the extra time rigging something nice and pretty that it is to rig out the limb in multiple pieces. If you can tie right on the balance point, great... but what about if you have a groundie tugging on it to set it down nice and pretty between a house and a fence? ... might throw that balance point off a bit. I definitely don't use spider legs often but sometimes I look at a tree and think to myself "that's a spider leg tree". When you need one, you are damn sure glad you got one and it can make all the difference if you're in a tight spot.

Would you be able to make a spider leg with your own rope pieces. Could you just make a loop and tie a knot, like a figure 8 on a bite or something like that and anchor it to you rigging line using a 2 or 3 wrap prusik, or is there something special about the slings that makes it function better. Reason I'm asking is cause I want one but i don't want to buy one lol. I've searched but can't find. Kind of a tree beginnerbater. Thanks.

I bought a few with the intention of using them all the time. I think mine are 15 ft. I have the 3/8 for my 1/2 line and 5/8 for my 3/4 line. I used them at first getting used to them. Not so much now but when I need them, they're a life saver. I might use them every couple months. Mainly when the limbs are very rotten and can't slam them into the trunk or when it's a long horizontal limb just above a structure. Then I'll tie the spider leg on, get it set right, pre tension it a bit then when I make the cut everything stays put. Works perfectly after a little getting used to. It's a real time saver when the other alternative is cutting the same limb into 3 or 4 sections. I also leave it on and it serves as a tag line when not in use. They're very handy in the right setting.

Latest posts

Back