Spinning Chain - Fess Up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the early seventies when I lived at my Dads he bought a spinner breaker . I was young and knew it all so I thought.I looked at the instructions and never figured out how to use the tool properly and the instructions are long gone.It is the type that resembles vice grip pliers.
Would anyone have any ideas on where to get the instructions.
I don't see myself turning any chains inside out I can't get a V belt to coil up half the time.
Kash

I have put 3-4 different short sections of miss matched chain together to make one long one... I hsve a couple chains with mixed sections of rm, Rs, and even some with full skip RS & full house mixed, and a few with RSK square skip, and full house RM on the same loop.
They all cut straight, and smooth, if they are sharp.

have seen a bent chain, though. It confused me when I went to mount it,

Bent links often happen when a saw gets stuck, and the user tries to jerk and wiggle it free. Usually have to replace those links; hard to straighten.

It is the type that resembles vice grip pliers.
Would anyone have any ideas on where to get the instructions.
‘Granberg Break-N-Mend’.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/granberg-break-n-mend-can-it-work.115165/
Philbert

Attachments

• Break N Mend Instructions.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 4
I was asked to test a Husky 550xp the other day.
18” 0.325 bar.

Chain was even all the way around until it had 2 left cutters in a row. Is that a thing?

Every time I sharpened it, threw me for a loop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was asked to test a Husky 550xp the other day.
18” 0.325 bar.

Chain was even all the way around until it had 2 left cutters in a row. Is that a thing?

Every time I sharpened it, threw me for a loop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A chain with an even drive link count that’s not divisible by 4 will have one set of repeating cutters. But an 18” .325 setup should have 72 DL which would be divisible by 4.

Looks like a mix of some slightly different tie straps on that chain. With some practice and care, it can be hard to tell hand spun from factory spun rivets. Especially, after the chain has been run for a while, and the rivet heads get polished smooth.

Philbert
Where are you seeing the different straps? Outside of the fact that some are too dirty to read the "Oregon" on, they all look the same to me. The semi-chisel cutter on a full chisel chain was the only problem I noticed.

I did one inside out once.

Decided it was time to punch out at that point. Too many long days and not much sleep.

Where are you seeing the different straps?
Always hard to tell from a photo: took me a while to see what you noticed. Also hard to tell with a dirty chain: why I clean mine first when 'renewing' them! It looks like some tie straps are smooth, some are embossed, and the embossing might even be different on at least one. Oregon has / has had many variations on tie straps.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/philberts-chain-salvage-challenge.245369/
Philbert

Always hard to tell from a photo: took me a while to see what you noticed. Also hard to tell with a dirty chain: why I clean mine first when 'renewing' them! It looks like some tie straps are smooth, some are embossed, and the embossing might even be different on at least one. Oregon has / has had many variations on tie straps.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/philberts-chain-salvage-challenge.245369/
Philbert
All the non-cutter straps are embossed, I do need to clean the chain but it fits a 30 inch bar I spun a new chain for so it'll be a little before it becomes a priority.

Latest posts

Back