Splicing prusik cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VA-Climber

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So... I've been practicing and experimenting with splices of different kinds (although I've known the 3-strand for a long time) and after becoming familiar with ropes (climbing and rigging, double-braids and 16-strand) I've decided to give a length of cord a try. It's 3/8 Ultra-Tech, 28" eye to eye and it seems to work out pretty well. One of the splices is a little bumpy, but I'm still learning. I've used it as hip adjuster on a 3-strand flipline to avoid using it in a true 'life support' capacity, though I know I am still trusting my safety to this little piece of rope. It has worked well and has been loaded pretty good without any milking or shifting in the eye sizes. The tight eyes grip a biner just as good as a DFL and I like it... well, because I did it. I'm just wondering what you guys are doing if you splice your own prusiks and if you do, do you have any advice, warnings or compliments for a newbie (to splicing). Thanks

Doesnt look too bad, but make sure you whip / lock stich the splice. Get some wax whipping twine and sailers needle, and hand protector from wes spur or sherrill tree.

Sounds like you're on the right track. You understand that the stakes are high when you're splicing.

You can't really tell exactly what kind of splice you have there. Just to be sure, you did a class 2 double braid right? I've both done and seen ultratech with locked brummels with 6" tapered buries. The official samson splice for that line is a class 2 db though.

Latest posts

Back