split a little wood this morning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my best day with a SS. My brother and I did this in about 8-8.5 hours. It stacked out to just over 12 cords. I don't know if I should dare say that though. No one will believe me.

LOL

I have no idea how much wood is in this picture. I can say I couldn't get it all in a shot even standing on top of the log truck. I would guess the area it covered was about an acre. Roughly 200' x 200' and it was 5.5'-6' high. I'd say a solid 1000 cords, maybe more. It was impressive to say the least, and none of it was mine. My friend who owns a large tree service company keeps 3 Supersplits and a TW6 busy a lot of the year. I have to hand it to the firewood guys, I'm in good physical shape and used to working outdoors as a carpenter. After two weeks my wrists were sore to the touch and literally creaking from repetitively grabbing the wood by the ends and flinging it. I did it in between jobs and was quite happy to be done. You guys that do it day in and day out have my respect.

I have no idea how much wood is in this picture. I can say I couldn't get it all in a shot even standing on top of the log truck. I would guess the area it covered was about an acre. Roughly 200' x 200' and it was 5.5'-6' high. I'd say a solid 1000 cords, maybe more. It was impressive to say the least, and none of it was mine. My friend who owns a large tree service company keeps 3 Supersplits and a TW6 busy a lot of the year. I have to hand it to the firewood guys, I'm in good physical shape and used to working outdoors as a carpenter. After two weeks my wrists were sore to the touch and literally creaking from repetitively grabbing the wood by the ends and flinging it. I did it in between jobs and was quite happy to be done. You guys that do it day in and day out have my respect.

Get a pulp hook and log tongs (not the chinese ones) , your wrists will thank you .

They are 2 of the forklifts we had. We also had two 4wd Pettibones that telescoped that we used much more often. Everything from lifting shingles to the roof to having a guy work out of the box doing eave work, siding, installing windows, etc. When we got our first lift, everyone said it wasn't needed. Just hire an extra guy. A lift realistically replaces 2 or 3 guys. Never calls in sick, never complains, doesn't need a raise. Doesn't hurt his back.

Seems now everyone around here doing construction has a new $60,000 lift.

Sir, that ain't an acre:laughing:.
I know you said about an acre, it just seemed to fit.
Funny how an acre works out isn't it o_O.

Back