Splitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewie3500

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first attempt at my first post after reading for longer than I remember. I finally decided to jump head first in a log splitter build. This site has been an invaluable resource for design ideas. I will post pics as I go and hope for feedback and info to change the design as I build. Maybe the pics will help other as their pics helped me.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20140619_131716.jpg
    20140619_131716.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 120
I decided that boxing the ends would be a good way to prevent twist. The beam is 1/2'' with a 3/8'' web. So I am going to use 1/2'' plate to reinforce the beam.

Attachments

• 20140620_082433.jpg
    20140620_082433.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 134
You didnt say what size cylinder you plan on using. What you have done boxing the ibeam will help, but I would have probably made my wedge first and extended it down to the bottom of the hbeam before boxing the beam. Simply welding the wedge on top of the hbeam might not hold under pressure and rip off at the welds. I would also consider capping the top plate of the beam with more flat plate where you slide will be travleing. This will help prevent the edges of the beam from rolling up under extreme pressure.

You didnt say what size cylinder you plan on using. What you have done boxing the ibeam will help, but I would have probably made my wedge first and extended it down to the bottom of the hbeam before boxing the beam. Simply welding the wedge on top of the hbeam might not hold under pressure and rip off at the welds. I would also consider capping the top plate of the beam with more flat plate where you slide will be travleing. This will help prevent the edges of the beam from rolling up under extreme pressure.

Thanks,

I am going to go with a 5x24 cylinder. Excellent suggestion on extending the wedge to the bottom of the beam. That would certainly be stronger and less prone to failure. I am building this with scraps that I have scrounged so I don't have that much plate steel. I am going to rely on a 6010 root pass on a 30 degree bevel with a 7018 cap and multiple stringers. If it fails I will cut the beam in the outline of the new wedge and extend it full length.

I built the wedge yesterday. I have only made the root and the cap around it. I will finish welding it tomorrow.20140620_133901.jpg

Installed zerk fittings in the pusher and decided to use 5/8'' gr 8 hardware to sandwich the guides to the pusher. 20140630_162117.jpg

The way I work at my splitter, if I greased the push sled I would have the grease all over me from reaching across taking rounds of the log lift.

The way I work at my splitter, if I greased the push sled I would have the grease all over me from reaching across taking rounds of the log lift.

I know what you mean. My dads splitter will smear grease on yer leg from time to time. I am thinking that if I install some log cradles on the beam it will hold the operator out of the way of the mess.

Then you guys are over greasing, cause mine has zerks and I don't have that over greasing problem at all. All you need is a "film" of grease, not gobs of it.

SR

Latest posts

Back