Splitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure why I am having trouble loading pics..The site becomes unresponsive on every other file I try to load.

Not sure why I am having trouble loading pics..The site becomes unresponsive on every other file I try to load.

If you host them offsite someplace it is quicker and much easier to post pics. I use photobucket and like it, but there are others that work too.

Mr. HE:cool:

Nylon bearing pads FTW.

Where do you get those nylon wearing pads? Everyone is absolutely correct about the grease....I just degreased and pressure washed my beam and pushplate.... I am soo tired to of grease on my pants from the edge of the beam.

Where do you get those nylon wearing pads? Everyone is absolutely correct about the grease....I just degreased and pressure washed my beam and pushplate.... I am soo tired to of grease on my pants from the edge of the beam.

I get it from Amazon, maybe not the cheapest, but the 1/8" thick 12"x24" piece comes rolled up in a box and 2nd day shipping is free with Prime membership. They have other sizes and thicknesses available.

a plastics manufacturer/fabricator/supplier, or an industrial supply company (McMaster Carr, MSC, Grainger)... "UHMW" is probably most common for this type of application, but "Delrin" (Acetal) is also a good choice

One thought, I would suggest a couple side support plates welded in on either side of the push plate. Tri-angles or heavy strap from the top of push plate to top rear of base, awful lot of force develops at the top edge when shoving a big round that is taller in dia. than the plate, past the wedge. It all gets transfered to the back of the plate assembly trying to lift it off the top plate of the beam ( got the t shirt on this ) as it is those are 1/2" bolts and have been shearing off, 5/8" seems to be holding their own nowpush plate.jpg

I have no idea how the beams are designed on you guys splitters, but I "lightly" (as in one pump every few hours) grease the beam on my splitter and I can honestly say, I've never got grease on my pants or any other part of me, from the beam.

I assume it's the design, OR you guys are into "hugging" your splitters.... lol

SR

View attachment 358581
I been splitting wood for 15 years with 1/2" bolts holding my push plates together.... never broke a bolt. The push plate is 12+ inches tall and my wedge is 18" tall with a hydraulic 4 way. And I am not splitting sticks or tiny tree branches like a lot of these people who own log splitters. I only get trunk wood from the county and the rounds average 30-50inches . If your breaking 1/2" bolts then you have something wrong with your splitter design or fabrication.

Wood tick Can I get some pictures of your splitter please It looks like you have a bypass vavle setup on it can you speak to this and maybe some specific pictures and or info on it?
To anyone else that is building a splitter or anything else that is hyd controlled I can probly help you with hose and fittings from 1/4 to 3/4 pressure line, all parker stuff send me a PM with a list of what you have or need and I can most likely help

Cheap chi-com bolts, snap at the threads, threaded into base plate not a pass through assembly , hold the L shaped push plate guides in place. 10" high plate. It would be better if the base plate was wider to afford a pass through clamping action but it was what I had on hand at the time. 2 bolts hold push plate assembly to ram collar so it would be simple to fab a new assembly, maybe next winter to busy to mess with it now. Changed 1/2" to 5/8" problem resolved root dia of 1/2" x12 tpi bolts just to small for stress factor in this assembly. Mounting the ram higher would also reduce the torque from a large twisted fiber piece. That leads to other stress factors though. always trade offs. Nice straight stuff really doesn't cause much of a stress problem, don't see much of that though.

Cheap chi-com bolts, snap at the threads, threaded into base plate not a pass through assembly , hold the L shaped push plate guides in place. 10" high plate. It would be better if the base plate was wider to afford a pass through clamping action but it was what I had on hand at the time. 2 bolts hold push plate assembly to ram collar so it would be simple to fab a new assembly, maybe next winter to busy to mess with it now. Changed 1/2" to 5/8" problem resolved root dia of 1/2" x12 tpi bolts just to small for stress factor in this assembly. Mounting the ram higher would also reduce the torque from a large twisted fiber piece. That leads to other stress factors though. always trade offs. Nice straight stuff really doesn't cause much of a stress problem, don't see much of that though.
You might show a larger area so people get a better idea of what your working with. I would not be concerned about the fasteners on the ram collar as they only need to provide enough tension to keep the push plate attached to the rod on the return stroke.

Back