Splitter cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonestacker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I ordered a cylinder for my log splitter is the stroke the amount of travel?
BORE 4INCH
STROKE 18 INCH
ROD DIA 1.5
RETRACT 28.25
DALTON BEARING&HYDRAULIC MFG#DBH-4018
Thanks guys for any input Bill.

You're post sounds a bit like a fishing trip I went on recently.....

O.K. here's my 2 cents...

splitter building parameters depend on what you intend to do with it.....

The standard length is 24-30", but if you plan on splitting short wood for a woodstove, the 18" will do you fine.

If you are looking for something that will allow you some flexability you probably want something longer.

4" is about the minimum diameter for bore, any smaller and you're not going to have the balls you need for decent hardwood.

Your rod diameter should be fine, bigger is better, but I've seen many 1.5" rod diameter cylinders work just fine.

Seriously.... there's a boat load of splitter posts on this site..... check them out before you go too far.

Beam length

I ordered a cylinder for my log splitter is the stroke the amount of travel?
BORE 4INCH
STROKE 18 INCH
ROD DIA 1.5
RETRACT 28.25
DALTON BEARING&HYDRAULIC MFG#DBH-4018
Thanks guys for any input Bill.

18 inch stroke means you are pretty much tied to 16 in wood, I would not limit my splitter to 16 " At least until you figure all the angles on the stroke, and length of fire wood you will produce, dont short your self on the beam length, You can start your project by building the wedge end first, (Providing you are building a horizontal splitter) then decide how long of a cylinder you want later, providing you have enough beam, Keep in mind,.. If you might want a slip on 4 way wedge in the future,..It will shorten your opening about 2 inches, lots of consideration should be given before the final step of welding cylinder boss, Iam actually currently workin on a splitter,. For a friend, that has a bolt on cylinder boss so I can change the length of the cylinder without cutting off, and rewelding on a new cylinder boss, Dont try to figure it out over night, just make sure you have extra beam/options,...T,C, E,J,

18 inch stroke means you are pretty much tied to 16 in wood, I would not limit my splitter to 16 " At least until you figure all the angles on the stroke, and length of fire wood you will produce, dont short your self on the beam length, You can start your project by building the wedge end first, (Providing you are building a horizontal splitter) then decide how long of a cylinder you want later, providing you have enough beam, Keep in mind,.. If you might want a slip on 4 way wedge in the future,..It will shorten your opening about 2 inches, lots of consideration should be given before the final step of welding cylinder boss, Iam actually currently workin on a splitter,. For a friend, that has a bolt on cylinder boss so I can change the length of the cylinder without cutting off, and rewelding on a new cylinder boss, Dont try to figure it out over night, just make sure you have extra beam/options,...T,C, E,J,
Thats an idiea, if i bolt the cyl boss down, i can later put a longer cyl on if
needed. but as of now my stove will only fit 14" logs
later on i plan on getting a larger stove. Thanks for the suggestions.
Bill

Bolt Boss

You could save a lot of work and just go with a 24 inch cylinder. When my 24 inch splitter was built it had a sister with a 30 inch ram.

The 30 inch ram ended up just taking extra time due to the ram length.

If you are into firewood sales 24 inch is all you need. There is hardly anyone who wants to buy wood that length. 16 inch firewood is much more popular.

Also is you look at the max wood length of the largest models of free standing woodstoves you will see that 24 inches is about the max you will find. The smaller models take even shorter wood.

I can imagine a bolted down end support developing problems in the long run. If not in the bolts used......in the bolt to beam contact areas. Welding gives better support to the mount by attachment right where the top plate of the beam meets it's webbing, the bolts are going to have to be placed to the side of the webbing of the beam.

My suggestion, which should be taken with a grain of salt, is to build for a 24 inch ram right from the start and weld it to the beam.

Tree Co, point well takin, the custumer dosnt have the cylinder he wanted to end up using, or the money to purchase a new one, some good deals come along now and then and often times the mount ( pin hole ) can vary quite a bit, I mean different type of mounting, and also many 24/30 in stroke cylinders are not the same collapsed length, meaning I cant always swap even the same stroke cylinder with another cylinder, I ve given lots of thought to the strength of the bolt on Boss and Ill use 4 grade 8 , 5/8 or 3/4 bolt which will never sheer, under the flange I thought I might use a 2 in wide, 3/4 in thick bar stock to sandwich the web between the Boss and the bar stock, I doubt that I would use this method full length of cylinder Boss, as the back side will be pushing down any way, 4 Hard 5/8 bolts will hold it But Ill probably use 3/4, to be safe, I have a neighbor that wants 30 in wood for his owb, So I dont want to weld er up until we get all points covered, and probably never will weld it down, Thanks for posting, T,C, E,J,

Build it for 24" use the 18" cylinder if that is all that you can afford right now. 18" will push the stringy logs halfway through the wedge. From there just retract and move the next log into play and push the first the rest of the way....

Got it

Build it for 24" use the 18" cylinder if that is all that you can afford right now. 18" will push the stringy logs halfway through the wedge. From there just retract and move the next log into play and push the first the rest of the way....

The point is were not going to be able to know what type of Butt mount the new cylinder is going to have, and I have a complete machine shop,so boring holes is not a big deal, besides I want to do it different, not just because I can do it easy, but Its like a proto type, with options for change, easily, and cost effective, A learning experince If you will, I dont plan on retiring from the fab shop any time soon,. Iam still praticing, T,C, E,J,

I am going to call monday and see if they shipped my 18" cyl, if not i
will order a 4" x 24" stroke cyl, i know i will never split anything that big
for my self, but i think my dad uses 24" wood, if he needs to use it.
Anyway here are some pics of the push slide in the works.

Nice job Stone

Thats a real nice lookin pusher you are building , I hope you use grade 8 bolts, , There are some good dry lubes on the market these days that will keep it tighter longer and increase cycle times a bit, Like dry grafite, and some silicones have enough body that work well also, should be applied warm and well shakin first, Keep us posted , T,C, E,J,

Hey Stone

Just curious as 2 what cyl you endid up gettin?, Keep us posted T,C, E,J,

Back