Splitter Design

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great man. I have an overhead hoist for the lifting along with two sets of tongs, one pointed and the other flat with teeth.
I would put a strip up under each side so as not to interfere with the slide and then a diamond shaped gusset with round corners on each side. That should cover it! LOL

I left 1 1/2" but by the time I get my slip on 4 way I should be darn near touching. In the beginning I wasn't going to have a 4 way, then I thought permanent, then came to the conclusion of a slip on.

Thanks Dave, I was thinking of using some 1/2 x 1 1/2 wide strips under the top and a scab across the middle... I'm still thinking about that. The weld bead is stronger than the base material but it makes you feel good to add the fish mouth patch.

I built a gantry to move heavy things... I think the engine hoist will do in this case if I can't use mind over matter to move it.

gantry-14.jpg

John

Super nice fab work, Looks real good, Awesome job. can't wait to see it completed. :msp_thumbsup:

Thanks, I can't wait to see it done too. That beam sure got heavy when I added the 1" plate and the bracing and pivot plates under it. I'm feeling better about the strength of the beam now.

Thanks
John

I was hoping to weld the support pivots to the trailer today but ran out of time. I did get the holes machined in the tubing and I'm real close to gluing them on... those are 1 1/4" SS pins that I scrounged from my neighbor.

View attachment 282238

John

Would of split quite a few hundred tons with the splitter now and it works a treat my helper is a year older now too.

Made some more progress today. I got the beam mounted to the frame and stood it up with the engine hoist. It's not that heavy but with the frame not attached to an unmovable object I was just being careful.

I made a couple of decisions today after raising it up, while it is plenty stable I'm putting manual outriggers on the back. The second thing is I'm going to use a hydraulic jack like the engine hoist to raise and lower the beam.

View attachment 282497View attachment 282498View attachment 282499View attachment 282500

Edit: I guess I'll have to be clever as the long stroke jacks are for vertical use only...

Thanks for watching...
John

Last edited:
The second thing is I'm going to use a hydraulic jack like the engine hoist to raise and lower the beam.

Edit: I guess I'll have to be clever as the long stroke jacks are for vertical use only...

Thanks for watching...
John

they are "designed" for only vertical use but they work fine on their side too. just make sure you set it up so the pump side is down in the horizontal position. or maybe just make it hook into the splitter hyd system. not really a big deal to have to start the motor to raise up your beam.

lookin great so far. keep up the good work. im really interested to see how it works. never seen a splitter built like it before

Back