Splitter dilemma: HF or Speeco?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantC

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Not as easy as it might sound...

The 30 ton Harbor Freight splitter is $1299, though HF often puts it on sale or runs a discount coupon - so it may be had for less.

My local farm store, right now, is selling the 34 ton SpeeCo for $1495.

The SpeeCo, from what I've read here, seems to be a favorite. However, it has a Briggs engine, which I'm not wild about; the HF has a Subaru (Robin) engine, which most agree is right up there with a Honda power plant.

I understand that HF has had issues with leaking cylinders, but to their credit have been quick to exchange them under warranty.

So, which should I buy - and why? Is the SpeeCo, with its inferior engine (don't get me started on why I hate B&S) but perhaps better hydraulics, worth the $200 (possibly more) tariff?

-=[ Grant ]=-

Mine is a Huskee by Speeco with a Honda motor. Do you really need 34 ton? I have a 27 ton and it has done everything I have ever asked it to. Red oak with lots of knots and crotches and it cuts right through.

The HF and the speeco both have 5' cyl. so I would think tonage would be the same. The speeco is made in the US (I think) so I would go with that one. The HF would not be that bad eather.

Just buy the speeco you won't half to go far if something goes poof during the warranty. I have been reading far far to many horror stories about HF splitters such as brand new out of the box cylinders leaking and the thing missing parts. Just grab the speeco and run with it you can't go wrong 98% of HF's stuff is made in china including the splitter where as the speeco is made here in the USA if I am not mistaken.

that's a no brain answer...

zero negative feedback on AS for speeco splitters...

multiple negative feedback for HF splitters...

12.5 hp briggs is a OHV engine. excellent performance with good fuel effeciency. performs right up there with my 13hp honda motor.

only draw back to speeco 35 ton is cycle times of 15 seconds. they should have used a 22 gpm pump instead of 16 gpm with a 5in cyl. 12.5 hp motor will pull a 22 gpm with no problems.

planning upgrading my 35 ton speeco to 22 gpm to reduce cycle times to 10 second range.

Speeco

Im right now looking to purchase the Speeco 34 ton unit. Im upgrading the engine to the Honda GX 8 horse motor. The upgrade motor is a special order taking 2-3 weeks. Also, the Speeco has the flared wedge design which is a nice feature. Not really crazy about some of the things HF sells - but thats me - I want quality!, and willing to pay a little extra to get it.

don't do it... stay with the 12.5 hp briggs OHV motor or upgrade to 11hp Honda.

speeco puts a 16 gpm pump on 35 ton splitter due to costs reasons.
what it needs is a 22 gpm pump which costs $300 vs $170 for 16 gpm pump.

assuming you use a modern two stage pump. recommended HP is 2 gpm for each HP max.

Im right now looking to purchase the Speeco 34 ton unit. Im upgrading the engine to the Honda GX 8 horse motor. The upgrade motor is a special order taking 2-3 weeks. Also, the Speeco has the flared wedge design which is a nice feature. Not really crazy about some of the things HF sells - but thats me - I want quality!, and willing to pay a little extra to get it.

Speeco

The Speeco 34 ton comes with two engine options:

Briggs 10.5 horse
Honda 8 horse

My choice would be the Honda. I have that motor on a chipper/
shredder and have no problems since new in 1994.

looks like speeco downgraded their largest splitters to 34 ton and smaller engines. which is plenty HP to drive a 16gpm pump.

a better deal is huskee (by speeco) 35 ton at TSC which still has 12.5 hp OHV briggs. gives you option to upgrade to 22 gpm pump later. http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_34399_______14455|14461|34399?listingPage=true

note timberwolf rates same 5in ram w/22 gpm pump as 25 tons.
35 ton or 34 ton is stretching things... but that's marketing for ya...

The Speeco 34 ton comes with two
engine options:

Briggs 10.5 horse
Honda 8 horse

My choice would be the Honda. I have that motor on a chipper/
shredder and have no problems since new in 1994.

Latest posts

Back