Splitter height ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it depends on the average size of rounds you are doing, the bigger the round, the lower the splitter can be. When I made a deck for my first splitter, I measure from my hands down in front of me (like I was holding a round) to the ground. Then subtract your average round size. This way, in theory, you will not be bent over or holding up a round with your arms.

I carry the logs with the center at about belly button height. Most I don't have to lift any higher to get on the beam so that puts the beam about an inch high of the mommy daddy button as previously mentioned. Anything bigger than 18" or so I have to lean back a bit to get them on the beam. The important thing for me is to be able to operate the machine standing up without bending over. I have to reach a little to pull the splits back but I don't have to bend over to pick them up to get back on to split again.

Mine is knee high and many a time I wish it were lower yet. some day I am going to install a hydrlic lift axel so the beam can be on the ground for those huge blocks I have to roll on then raise it for transport.

:D Al

Personally i like mine nice and high.
Without going out and measuring, i am guessing i set mine at about 32-36.
It really depends on you. I am 6'5 so a beam at 24" would not be good.
Think of when you are operating not just height you need to lift the log.
The lift takes about 3 seconds where the operation time to split is much longer.
You do not want to bending over the whole time you are operating, i would much rather have a higher initial
lift and comfortable beam height for splitting.

I think wdchuck is just about right.

Last edited:
once the wood is on the beam, never let it hit the ground again ! so high enough to dump in trailer or pickup, works for me.

Latest posts

Back