Splitter Hydraulic Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husqavarna Guy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey hydraulic experts. I have a splitter running a 4 inch cylinder with a 6.5 HP engine pushing a 11gpm pump. I am thinking when I upgrade I want to run a 11HP engine and a 16gpm pump with the same cylinder. Will it be to much pressure for the cylinder? Also what would the cycle time be? I think it will be pretty fast. Thanks

With that size pump u should upgrade cyl and the hose size too along with the valve to a larger inlet and outlet

The motor will be fine. Also check the tank to make sure u have enough oil in tank to keep pump from cavatating on cycling of cyl

When u change 1thing it effect others.

Hope this helps

With that size pump u should upgrade cyl and the hose size too along with the valve to a larger inlet and outlet

The motor will be fine. Also check the tank to make sure u have enough oil in tank to keep pump from cavatating on cycling of cyl

When u change 1thing it effect others.

Hope this helps
So you're saying the 4 inch cylinder should be upgraded to a 5 inch. I was trying to speed up the cycle time. If I go to a 5 inch won't it slow it back down. Will the new pump have to much pressure for the cylinder I have now?

Its not the pressure but the volume oil going to cyl that makes cylcle time faster

Valve and hose size also helps increase times as the larger valve size flow more oil

A good combo

That would get ya just short of a 9 sec cycle time with a 24 stroke. Take into consideration that 1/2" hoses are marginal with 16gpm. Eliminate all 90's, and run a larger reservoir. Good to go!

Pumps don't create pressure, they create flow. Resistance to flow creates pressure. In other words, the pressures will remain the same. Cycle time would be a little less than 50% faster, according to the math. That is assuming the same engine rpm.

Thanks guys. It sounds like I can upgrade the hoses to 3/4 inch and add on to my tank and should be good to go. How many gallons do I need to handle the new pump? I
am doing more firewood all the time so I figure I can speed up production quite a bit with this setup and be a lot cheaper than buying a $3000 splitter.

A 35 ton from tsc is around 2300 with all your talking about or they got some that have suspension on a splitter

Pumps don't create pressure, they create flow. Resistance to flow creates pressure. In other words, the pressures will remain the same. Cycle time would be a little less than 50% faster, according to the math. That is assuming the same engine rpm.

THANK YOU FESTUS! Bout time someone pointed that out when folks are talking of upgrading their pump.

To agree & summarize:

4" cylinder, 16 gpm 2 stage pump, pressure relief on valve 2,500 psi (standard factory setting on most valves) = approximately 15.7 ton with a 8.8-9 sec cycle time. :rock:

An 8 or 11 hp motor will not make a difference in the numbers, just the fuel use.

This is what I have on my splitter using a 4 way wedge/11 hp engine, no problems!

To agree & summarize:

4" cylinder, 16 gpm 2 stage pump, pressure relief on valve 2,500 psi (standard factory setting on most valves) = approximately 15.7 ton with a 8.8-9 sec cycle time. :rock:

An 8 or 11 hp motor will not make a difference in the numbers, just the fuel use.

This is what I have on my splitter using a 4 way wedge/11 hp engine, no problems!

Thanks Oliver. Are you running half inch hoses or 3/4 inch. It seems like if I upgrade to a engine that's barely adequate for the bigger pump it will bog down quicker when the wood is tough than if I go with some extra HP? The extra HP should keep the pump in the low pressure stage longer resulting in faster overall splitting? Am I correct on this? Thanks

The point at which the shifts will stay the same regardless of engine hp.. In order to change the shift point the adjustment on the pump has to be increased BUT with the extra hp. there is a risk of damaging the pump.
An 11 hp. engine has a 1" shaft , the shaft on a 16 gpm 2-stage pump is only 1/2". Adjusting pressures too high can snap the pump's shaft or the gear keyways.

The point at which the shifts will stay the same regardless of engine hp.. In order to change the shift point the adjustment on the pump has to be increased BUT with the extra hp. there is a risk of damaging the pump.
An 11 hp. engine has a 1" shaft , the shaft on a 16 gpm 2-stage pump is only 1/2". Adjusting pressures too high can snap the pump's shaft or the gear keyways.

So you're saying I should stay with a 8HP engine with the 16gpm pump and it will run fine that way? The Speeco Splitter we have at work has a 10HP engine running a 16Gpm pump, they must have an adapter if the engine has a 1 inch shaft?

So you're saying I should stay with a 8HP engine with the 16gpm pump and it will run fine that way?
Yes - that will run just fine. But to make the point...it doesn't matter if you use 8HP or 11 or 16 - you just need to get the engine side of the lovejoy to fit the engine shaft. You will only build pressure upto the bypass of the pressure relief. A 30hp engine will not create more pressure than an 8hp will BECAUSE of your pressure relief settings. Hope that helps.

I have 1/2" hoses from the pump to the valve & to/from the cylinder then went 3/4" from the valve to the oil cooler -> filter -> reservoir.

Stay with the 8 hp engine you have. As stated, use a "Love Joy" connector to couple the engine to pump.

The 2 stage pumps generally will shift around 600-700 psi as set at factory. Most of the time with single wedge it will split without dropping down to high pressure mode.

1st, hoses: There are 1/2" hoses from pump -> valve -> cylinder -> valve them 3/4" -> oil cooler -> filter -> reservoir.

LoveJoy connector to connect the shafts of the pump & engine as previously recommended.

2 stage pumps factory set will shift/drop down to high pressure mode around 600-700 psi. For me using a sharp single ended wedge, the majority of straight grained wood up to around 16" will split without dropping down it high pressure mode. With the 4 way wedge it may drop down for a short time but shifts back up once the splits have started most of the time.

Back