Splitter Kept Indoors- outdoors- outdoors and covered?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conkl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just finished building my splitter and will need to keep it outdoors and covered. Was wondering what others do to protect theirs from the weather? Also if kept outdoors how do you protect it from being stolen. I realize if someone wants it bad enough they will take it, I just do not want to make it to easy.
Thanks Kevin

I help a lot of people with my splitter. Because I never know when I’ll be using it the next time and having it in the pole barn could be a lot extra work with deep snow on the ground and mud in the spring so during the winter months I keep our s[litter outside with a tarp over it.

We split the majority of our wood on two different properties and as luck would have it, someone decided they needed my first splitter more then we did so I soon sunk a 2 inch pipe deep in the ground with an end cap over it. Through the cap is a hole with a 2 inch ball bolted through it and the splitter is locked on to that when we are gone for a day or so. We also do the same thing here at home. I’m sure if a person wanted it bad enough they would find a way to take it, the pipe system mostly keep the teens or the guys who are looking to make a fast easy buck honest.

It would be interesting to see what others do..

I have a super split that doesnt have a hitch. If would take a few strong guys to throw it in a truck. Its also in my backyard and I own 3 dogs and 2 guenie hens. I know when someone is in my yard. If they thing my splitter looks like theirs they better like the taste of 00 buck from my 12gauge. lol

Ours is a smallish firewood splitter. When we're not using it we keep it stowed in the utility room where there's a dehumidifier. Stowing things in sheds or garages is asking for rust and corrosion. It's very humid here.

If we're going to use it the next day we'll cover it with a tarp.

A good way to deter theft is to wrap a length of log chain around the I-beam and a tree, pole barn support or other structure. Secure the chain with a sturdy padlock. Be sure the chain is cinched tight so that the splitter can't be Houdini'ed out of it. Twisting the chain before securing will accomplish this.

Iska3, I like your idea with the pipe, may have to give it a try. I would think if I planted it where the splitter is going to be normally used it will also provide a little extra stability. Will fill it with some cement to keep any one from easily using a saw.

I just roll it into the garage every time I'm done using it. I figure the extra 5min it takes me to do so is better for the sound of mind that I have knowing it's probably not going to get stolen.

However I have a buddy who leaves his outdoors at all times. It's certainly picked up it's share of rust, but that thing keeps kicking with no problems. He's in an area a lot less likely to get something stole from though. I have a lot more traffic going past my house.

Ours sits unlocked and unchained, with a Blueberry lug over the motor to keep the snow off, and some of the rain out.
It will get parked back in the Barn when splitting season is over in May.

Granted, it's surrounded with logs and rounds, and would take some effort and a racket to get it outta there but it could be done if they wished to risk getting hurt, stuck, and then used as a Chew toy LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

In the shed but it is only used rarely for the tough stuff. When using it for several days, outside, uncovered but in the backyard out of sight. I am lucky to have never lost anything...yet (knock wood). With my huge stock of firewood (and still building) in plain sight of a major highway, it is obvious that there are saws worth putting legs to and the garage is left open all to often. I forget tocheck it when going to bed.

Harry K.

While we are discussing theft, do the comercial units have serial numbers stamped into them or just a decal. I would think the comercial units would be the easiest to resell by thieves since they are readily availlable in yards and hard to trace. I have seen ads on craigslist offering rerwards for stolen comercial log splitters.

Just bury or cover a wire in the ground with the hot leg attached. A switch in the house. When someone comes by and touches it they complete the circuit, ouch. They will think twice after that.

I keep mine indoors.It makes a great night stand,but my wife says it clashes with the bedroom decor :confused:

Mine is in the barn unless I'm using it.

generally i keep mine in the garage, no windows, doors always locked.

sometimes i'll leave it on the bumper hitch with a padlock but it's backed up so close to the wood shed and so many rounds piled up it'd be hell for a thief to get away with it.

now that i have an 8 foot sliding door on the wood shed i'm looking to get a padlock on the door and parking the splitter in the shed with a padlock on it as well. might stop an honest thief.

threads like this remind me i need to engrave some kind of I.D. on the bottom side of my splitter, or some place thieves wouldn't think to look and grind off.

i also put a bucket over the engine if i leave it out doors, just an old habit.
i stored mine under a tarp one summer in a buddy's barn and the tarp trapped ground moister and really rusted things up. every chip in the paint turned into a giant spot of rust. now every couple years i clean 'er up and giver 'er a new coat of orange paint for the hell of it. a few patches of D.O.T. tape here and there and for a 30 year old unit the ol' girl looks pretty good.

Just finished building my splitter and will need to keep it outdoors and covered. Was wondering what others do to protect theirs from the weather? Also if kept outdoors how do you protect it from being stolen. I realize if someone wants it bad enough they will take it, I just do not want to make it to easy.
Thanks Kevin

You can always take the wheels off and keep them locked up. They could still get it, but it's a start.

For long term, you could stack your firewood around it, out of sight, out of mind.

What you are asking on theft protection...ain't no easy answer anymore. Thieves are so bold now and so resourceful. Even a good security system, cams, guard dogs, can be beat.

Heck, modern built houses with vinyl siding, and no real walls just insulation panels and drywall on the inside and siding on the outside, all you need is a razor knife to go in through a wall, don't even need to go in through a door or window.

Fenced yard, camera shooting a wireless feed to offsite on the net storage, that's about it. Thieves just shoot dogs if they really want your stuff, my boss lost three custom bought guard dogs that way, so he gave up on dogs. Don't matter how macho tough the dogs are, a bullet takes any of them out. I think of dogs as sensors and alarms, not deterrents.

And it doesn't matter what chain or whatever you have stuff locked up with, big bolt cutters and cordless sawzalls beat all that stuff.

What I do here is, there's always someone at home, a human with guns, and I have a pretty darn medieval bad attitude about bad guys, skunks. We rarely if ever both go to town any more. I'm poor, I can't afford to lose anything and can't afford insurance to cover everything. I used to get these roving "scrappers", 7/8ths of them are freeking thieves, stop by, they wanted free stuff or ask if this or that was for sale (I suspect just casing the joint up closer, always see them looking all around at everything), I just tell them "nope, if anything was free or for sale it would have a #$$@@!! ing sign on it, and there's too many blankety blank THIEVES around here. Have a nice day, see ya". Along those lines, they get the message as I use a rather stern and annoyed voice when I talk to them.

Different areas of the country have various levels of crime, but around here, meth and the war on some drugs, the high price of alleged "scrap" metals going to china (where half of it ain't scrap, it's stolen good stuff), the worsening economy and guys losing jobs left and right, all that crap, has lead to a crime explosion. And it ain't getting any better.

Zogger, thanks for the suggestions. Boy that sounds like a rough area you are in. Lets hope people in your area know not to mess with your stuff so you never have to pull any triggers.

Zogger, thanks for the suggestions. Boy that sounds like a rough area you are in. Lets hope people in your area know not to mess with your stuff so you never have to pull any triggers.

It's all over, just same areas are slower getting it bad than others. I wouldn't be so paranoid if the other side of the farm hadn't gotten nailed a few times. They take all sorts of stuff, sneak in through the woods. Stole real expensive big electric motors, yanked an outside AC unit right off the concrete pad it was bolted too, etc. This is a real big farm, plus an old closed down airport, tons of "scrap metal" around here.

I used to never think twice about the scrappers, then started reading to what ,engths they will go to to get stuff they sell for a penny on the dollar and just destroy. Go in houses rip the plumbing and wiring out. Climb under cars and battery sawzall the cat converters off, sell them as 'scrap". Yank gutters and drainpipes down. Yank wires and cables out from big underground conduits. Heist wheelbarrows/mowers/ladders and sell them as "scrap metal". Snag guys wheels right off their ride, pull the tires, sell them, sell the wheels as scrap.

Go to any scrap yard and LOOK, tons of that stuff isn't "scrap" it's still good styuff, getting shredded and shipped to the chicoms.

I've said it before here, If I was joe prez for a day, one of the things I would do is slap an emergency dictate, no more exporting scrap metal! I don't care if it collapsed the industry. It's a domestic security issue, and it is helping to fuel the loss of jobs, funding for cheap the expansion of the chinese juggernaut (they are gonna test the US some day..and we'll back down, just watch), causing crime waves all over the US. You can read up on it in the news, do a google search, some amazing weird things they do just to get "scrap" metal..

Just a bad idea.

I'm sitting on legitimate scrap right now...ain't gonna take it in. I'll let the stuff rust away or sink into the ground first. And I'm poor, I can always use some extra FRNs around here.

Now I did, right up until last year, took in a load of tornado damaged sheetmetal roofing, some old lawn mower engines, and clapped out batteries. Looked around "hey, what's all this good stuff doing here"??? Just drove it home for me how much of this "scrap" is stolen. No one "scraps" big non broken aluminum extension ladders. No one "scraps" riding lawnmowers that look one or two summers old. No one "scraps" expensive BBQ units, complete with the tank. Stuff like that.

We had a saying in the 60s, still true today. "You are part of the problem, or part of the solution".

With that said, that idea up above with the steel pipe in the ground and the ball, pipe filled with concrete, locked down..I like that a lot. That could very well beat bolt cutters and a sawzall. Now maybe they could still yank it outta the ground, but anything to slow them down.

HOPEFULLY, you'll never have a problem, I'm serious! I just get a touch of the rants when it comes to security and the freeking thieves. My work is hard enough, same as everyone, to have to stop and worry about thieves. I left metro atlanta primarily from the thieves. My neighborhood went from decent to you could see five years down the road it was gonna be crackhead methhead ghetto. that and a busted back relapse..meh, cashed out and moved, Dang crime now is out in the country. I run outta places to move to really, got to stick to someplace.

Mine lives in the garage at present, though I've thought about leaving it outside under a tarp. If/when I ever a car/jeep project going again, it'll have to move outside. But in the meantime, the beam makes a nice step for accessing stuff in the rafters or on the top of shelves, and a halfway decent bench if I cover the beam and log cradle with something to flatten it out a bit.

With no hitch on it, it would be tough to carry off if it were outside, but I'd still lock it up. As it stands, I can't hardly get it out of the garage, so I have little worry that anyone else would be able to do it with any haste.

Georgia has gotten sorta bad on the scrap thing. The legislature is working on law now to corral the thieves. Folks that sell scrap won't be paid in cash. You will even have to give your finger print. I guess paymnent will be a check you'll have to take to your bank for cash. I met a fellow on a job site once that had scrappy as his nickname. I thought he was just a fighter. His boss told me he was caught in Alabama stealing wire off transmisson lines. I think I would have called him stupid. It is bad though. I've had hundreds of feet of welding cable stolen off jobs. Even had one of the laborors on the job tell me where it was. Under a certain bridge in Atlanta where they had a pit set up to burn the rubber off. :msp_angry:

I have 4 splitters that live outdoors 24/7- 365 days a year.
The engines are covered with 55 gallon plastic barrels cut in 1/2.
If you can get past my 4 dogs and guns i guess you are welcome get them.
There is a lock that slides under the tongue for about $25 for any that of you that need them.(you will play hell to remove one and need to drill or weld a new one on).
Glad i like in the MTN'S from city folks.
Mark

Latest posts

Back