Splitter Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
worked on the log table today.

Nice table, I did mine similar but just one pivot on a 9/16" grade 8 bolt. I put that angled 1/4" plate in the front to give it some transition so the wood can't dead end into the table. You gonna put a rear jack leg on it?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yes I'll put an adjustable tongue jack on it. I like that single pivot on your table, might use that on the next one ! does your 4 way just slip on ?

Yes I'll put an adjustable tongue jack on it. I like that single pivot on your table, might use that on the next one ! does your 4 way just slip on ?

Yeah the 4 way is removable, my plan is to make an adjustable 4 way at some point.

Progress report

Got the motor all mounted, mounted the valves, working on the return filter now. space is filling up quick. got the tool box where I want it , just have to mount it now,still need to get a jack for the working end. might be ready for paint in a week or so. here's a few more pics.

Got it painted, now just hoses & fluid , then we'll be splitting.

Thanks for watching !! :cheers:

Splitter project update

Finally got the splitter done. We tried it out on a couple cords of hickory,elm & some ash. It worked real good after I got the pressures set. It's a fairly big beast weighing 4000 lb. but it pulls down the road real good. we haven't got the trailer brakes hooked up yet but that is on the list. customer is very,very happy with it,so that's what counts. We built it exactly the way he wanted it. we ended up painting it gun metal metallic & black with clearcoat. Hard to tell in the pictures after we took it down all the dirt roads. I've already started on mine and it will be the same except my hydraulic system will be 1" instead of 3/4". I should have checked the cycle time but I would guess 12 sec. neighborhood. not bad for 34 1/2" stroke. The GX630 honda runs flawless, very smooth & reasonably quiet. Here's a couple pictures. I tryed to take some video but jacked that all up, makes ya seasick just looking at it. I'll take a better one next time & pay attention to what I'm doing.

I have to get this off my chest, wicked awesome build you did.....but that fixed 4 way fonguled the whole thing :msp_unsure:

I have to get this off my chest, wicked awesome build you did.....but that fixed 4 way fonguled the whole thing :msp_unsure:

Maybe you could send blueprints of the perfect wedge design. Until that experiment happens this design works perfect. Think about it, you always get two splits from the bottom that are perfect size. If you move a wedge up on a bigger piece to the center, then you have 4 pieces that are to big. Believe me I am all ears on the wedge design.

VERY GOOD JOB!!!!:clap: One of the few problems I can see is a problem with my own. How the hell do you get that wide thing around in the woods?!! One of the reasons to have that log lift is to be able the back down the trunk and roll the rounds onto the lift. I find sometimes that is a hard feat to accomplish. I built a raised hitch for my john deere so I can leave it hooked up and move it as I need, but this weekend, I had an ash that was down hill in the brush, behind my pond. Had a hell of a time getting out of there:mad:

Maybe you could send blueprints of the perfect wedge design. Until that experiment happens this design works perfect. Think about it, you always get two splits from the bottom that are perfect size. If you move a wedge up on a bigger piece to the center, then you have 4 pieces that are to big. Believe me I am all ears on the wedge design.

I'm not busting your balls, you did a hell of a job on the splitter! I just like the versatility of one wedge or the 4 way, I get some big rounds 30" plus that its easier to split with the single rather than having 4 huge chunks fall off and having to pick them back up....for me anyway. The other thing I find it with smaller rounds you wind up with a few slivers off the top, there's no happy medium I guess....other than an adjustable 4 way that the wings drop to the beam making a single wedge. I'll send you some specs when I finally get around to doing it :D

Latest posts

Back